Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my snow-riding experience is on super-hard-packed singletrack; hard enough that it feels like riding pavement with flow (till the front tire finds even a hint of soft snow, then it's a sort of fun fall into deep powder, or a not-so-fun crash into a tree).

i'm curious about doing the arrowhead 135 and a couple other relatively long northern MN and WI events this winter, on a budget that won't fit a pugsley/large marge/endomorph setup.

would a karate monkey with salsa gordos and either weirwolves or racing ralphs (or a combo of WW and RR) be exasperating on all but the hardest-packed conditions?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Look into using Uma's (50mm) from Speedway or the new version of Kris Holm's rim (47mm). I've heard good things about the Racing Ralph in the snow so I'd probably lean towards that. I couldn't tell you how good it'd do, but it's the best you could do. The other option is to go with wide 26" rims and 3.0 tires. Or just get a 100mm Pug fork and run an Endo on the front and a 29 on the back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the suggestions.

any idea about whether speedway and kris holm rims available through QBP?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Reading race reports from Pugsley riders there is just no way to know what trail conditions will be like until pretty much the day of the race. Even the 4" tire crowd might end up pushing a lot.

One tip for the AH135 is that if you are allowed to start later than other riders do it. Your clock will only start when you roll across the start line and they'll be forced to trail break for you. All those 4" tires should groom the course pretty well. The only issue is that after a racer used that tactic successfully this year everyone might wait until the last minute as well to stop you from getting an advantage or they may change the rules.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts