Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.
After my very, very old Orange ****** finally died I am in the market for an adaptable hardtail. I really like the Surly Karate Monkey. It will be used for general thrashing about and maybe two week bikepacking/tours/trips but I really wanted something that isn't quite as heavy. I own a 2017 Troll and its a brilliant touring machine but as with all Surlys, its a tank. The KM fits all the requirements I need to be honest, loads of mounts, capable of running a 27.5 plus tyre, rigid or sus forks too, its just the WEIGHT......

Does anyone have any suggestions? Im based in England too if that helps.

Cheers.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,827 Posts
Buy the KM frame and build it how you want. Surly frame weights are pretty reasonable for the money. Can you get a nicer steel frame that weighs .5 lbs less? Yes, but not for equal money.

If you want to save a significant amount of weight you'll need to look at a carbon frame and nicer build kit.

You haven't given a budget or very many parameters, kind of asking us to name every B+ hardtail available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have around £600-£800 to spend on the frame then another £1200 on components including a suspension fork. I always buy frame/forks only then build it up from there. If the KM really is the best for the price then thats the way I will go.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Weight of KM frame vs another? Less than 1 pound? Go with a carbon fork? Going to carry 20-30 lbs on the tour? I would think the best choice would be a solid, sturdy bike. I own 4 Surlys, I might be biased.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
For steel and price per pound and versatility the KM is hard to beat. I've given this a lot of thought myself. Would be nice if lighter but going lighter means a very different frame.

To get much lighter you'd have to go carbon or aluminum. If I needed a lightweight HT I'd build up one of those cheap chi-carbon frame.

Still though, the biggest plus of the KM are the dropouts - SS or geared. And 135, 142, or 148. I've still got a few old King wheel sets that refuse to die. And a 135 King SS hub/wheel. Perfect match for the Monkey.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Weight isn't something I really look at for how much I'm willing to spend, I look for reliable and features and the KM is definitely reliable and has loads of features. When I was looking to replace my '08 Monkey last year, I had wanted one of the new Ryhmes with orange Monkey's, but finding one was a PITA and so I opted for the Kona Unit framset and transferred most all the parts from my Monkey and have really been happy with it. Between the 2 framsets, don't think there's another you can pick up for $550-600. My only complaint about the Unit is the QR drop outs on the fork, but prefer the rear drop outs over the Surly setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.