Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
I'd be expecting a lot of cross-dressing New Zealander's in tutu's to start with!!

I read an article in a mag somewhere - sounds like a great event. Threre are a number of new zealand based MTB forums, I'm sure there would be a few posts about somewhere...... A freindly lot by the sounds of things, and some awesome trails, definiately on my list of places to go in the future.

Cheers, Dave.

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Actually there are a fair few longer events emerging in Aussie the last couple of years, (wildside, the mont, 12hrs of darkness, crocodile challenge etc, etc) but I can see the appeal of Karapoti - it's got a fairly big reputation!!

Hopefully in the future I'll be able to slowly work my way around the lot, maybe not the crocodile challenge though......... sounds rather painful...

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sure there are a lot of Endurance races like Mont, Working Week, Crocodile, Wildside, etc. What we don't have enough are one day point to point race like the Karapoti Classic or the Hidden Valley cycle epic. Sure there is the Oaks Classics in Sydney but it is far to short.

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Woy, the link did not work.

I am happy to support local events, its just that I have a Kiwi mate who has talked me into to doing the race so I was hoping to find out what I am in for.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i've raced the karapoti classic twice when I lived in NZ and planning to go back and do it in 2005, since it it the 20th anniversay it will be a great event.

It's an awesome race. There are three major climbs , one called the devils staircase which is unridable - it's a definate bike on shoulder scenario and straight up a slippery cliff like incline.
Another noteable section is the rock garden, some rideable depending on what your riding style is - it has huge bouldersand drop-offs that need to be navigated. The race includes a few stream crossings so expect your feet wet throughtout the race, sprigs are a good thing on the shoes for grip on the hike sections.
There are some wicked fast downhill sections, one noteable being big ring boulevard, the name says it all.

Anyway, hope this gives you a little info. it's a great race and great race atmosphere.
I'm hoping they hold a double loop category as they did a few years back.

sp00k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.