Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday I took my son on a little road trip to Kananaskis Country West of Calgary to get some much needed riding in. It has been pretty wet here in Edmonton and my son is away working most of the time so we hadn't been out together on the bikes this year. I picked Baldy Pass which has a 10 km climb followed by a steep, rocky, rooty decent which levels off into a more gradual twisty trail that winds through the trees. My son and I started mountain biking 20 years ago this summer when he turned 5 so he had no problem on the descent. I was out front on the steeps and I couldn't catch him as he flowed through the twisties. I had my trusty Spot while the boy has my old Titus Loco Moto I built up for him.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
nice - i hope my son will come out with his old man when he's old enough - i have skied around calgary but never ridden - i bet it's fun terrain...

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
yer a lucky man tb. i havent ridden with my son in years. he has other agendas and i dont see him much these days. movin didnt help. thanx for remindin me how cool it is to do that.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Good stuff Bickle. I'm hoping my daughters will take to riding at some point. I get so stoked to see them take interest in things that I love too. My 5 year old is really getting into swimming and diving. I took this first pic last night. I was teaching her to do a front flip. The other is my 3 year old launching it into the hot tub.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't believe in training wheels. When he was almost 4 we replaced the trike with a small BMX bike and I would run beside him helping with the balance. We then moved on to a grassy area with a tiny bit of slope and it didn't take long before he was ripping along on his own. When he turned 5 I got my first MTB and the local trails were tame enough to bring him along. In the last couple of years he grew out of his reckless phase and now I don't wort so much.

When he was 6 we got him a Norco Micro Mountaineer with BMX knobbies, gears, and canties. I stopped at the top of a rise to warn him of a rooty 1' drop but he just sailed past. I was amazed when he made it and then cringed as he ran into a tree. Later that day I had to pull him out of a bush by his feet.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Bickle, you guys are from edmonton? We'll have to get together not to many fellow homers up in this neck of the woods. I'm in Wetaskiwin.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been in Edmonton almost 2 years and the young fella lives in Red Deer but spends most of his time working up in Ft Mac.

Where do you ride?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I ride lots in edmonton, devon and try to get to canmore every couple of weeks. I had a pretty bad motorbike wreck earlier this spring and have only been able to ride the road bike. I also make a point of getting to fernie, whistler and moab each year but with the injury the moab trip is going to be in october this year, fernie and whistler trips are planned for end of august and sept. life's too short and so is our summers.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
why not join us for THC '07? itll be good to have ya along. hows about a recovery update thread?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Nice. I rode Baldy Pass a few times when I lived near there. Good to hear you survived the steep, rocky section at the top :) The high-speed twisty section is a blast.

·
Big Test Icycles
1,480 Posts
bikesinmud said:
Bickle, you guys are from edmonton? We'll have to get together not to many fellow homers up in this neck of the woods. I'm in Wetaskiwin.
Do cars still cost less in Wetaskiwin? I grew up in Edmonton. Great pics and story Travis. My 4yo is just getting onto his two wheeler and the 10yo is now looking for a full suspension. Keeps asking to borrow the 5Spot....:eek:

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Come on Holmes, don't tell me you haven't heard of the Turner Homer Convention! Right after Interbike at the end of September, Turner riders from all corners show up for 2 days of riding in St. George, Utah, then we head to Moab for 2 or 3 days, and then some suckas even keep the party going in Fruita, Co for a few more days.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
jmac, no cars don't cost less here, whatta stupid gimic.

cactuscorn.. great pics, I must be a part of THC group ride... whatta away to end the summer, seems like so far away but if I book it I can drive to Moab in under 20hrs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts