Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,392 Posts
metacycle said:
Anyone have any recommendations for type of tire for the Intermontane Challenge in Kamloops?
Maxxis Cross Mark either tubeless or converted with a good amount sealent in it. Cacti will be the main source of flats.

Some of the stages are smooth others are quite rough.
'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know about the cacti, thanks!

I'm rolling big wheels and although they are a great tire there is no Crossmark UST or Tubeless Ready in 29er size. I was thinking of the Hutchinson Toro for the reasons you mentioned. Fast rolling, sidewall protection, tubeless ready.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,392 Posts
ccm said:
Schwalbe Racing Ralph snake skin 2.25 or Michelin xcr Dry 2 xpert 2.0 any good?
A couple of people running those around here.

Really the grip levels in kamloops are generally pretty good. If it gets hot and dry you will have loose conditions to deal with, but that is the worse that will happen. If it is rainy (which is rare) it could be really tough on the trails at low altitude but the only tire that works in those conditions is a rather specialized mud tire (1.8 maxxis medusa for example).

I have ridden one of the stages and parts of the others. Two of the stages pinch flats are a bit of a worry, but only if you are running a tubed tire at low air pressure.
 

·
aka Taprider
Joined
·
971 Posts
looks like lots of road or high speed smooth trails for the Intermontane
so
flip stem upside down for aerodynamics or not?
I can ride North Shore technical with the stem either way (less than a minute slower down 7th and Pipeline than Geoff P ;) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
I have used the Racing Ralphs here in Kamloops before and they work well for a XC tire. I was more impressed with them then the Crossmarks which I had used prior. I would use the racing ralphs here presonally but that is just my preferance.

As LMN stated that if it is raining it will be tough. It is mainly clay around here and the last time I rode in the rain my 2.35 nevegals gained about 10 lbs and had zero traction.

The part you need to know about Kamloops riding in regards to the stem is that you go straight up the mountain and then come straight down. There are very few and I mean very few rides that are rolling. Climbs around here tend to be more on the steep side of things, however I have not riden any of the IMC trails but know the area's where they are.

Expect dry heat like in the mid 30's cel or higher for when the race is on so be prepared.
 

·
@adelorenzo
Joined
·
1,670 Posts
Good info here, thanks for posting.

There are a bunch of us coming down from Whitehorse, pretty much everyone is on Racing Ralphs, 26 or 29, tubeless or not. Sounds like a good choice. They work really well up here on our dry singletrack.

I just switched to Conti Mountain Kings (29er) to get more cornering traction. They also seem to hook up a little better for standing singlespeed climbing. Still on the fence about what I'll run down there, I'll bring my Ralphs down as well.

How much of an issue will thorns be? Should I worry about putting sealant in my tubes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,392 Posts
anthony.delorenzo said:
Good info here, thanks for posting.

There are a bunch of us coming down from Whitehorse, pretty much everyone is on Racing Ralphs, 26 or 29, tubeless or not. Sounds like a good choice. They work really well up here on our dry singletrack.

I just switched to Conti Mountain Kings (29er) to get more cornering traction. They also seem to hook up a little better for standing singlespeed climbing. Still on the fence about what I'll run down there, I'll bring my Ralphs down as well.

How much of an issue will thorns be? Should I worry about putting sealant in my tubes?
I would put sealant in. You never know when you will get caught in a cacti patch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
Update for all you racers. We've had very little rain the past few weeks and it is dry and dusty.

The Greenstone section (top) has a lot of sharp rocks and such - a beefier tire might be good here

Kenna section - all harpack baby, fun and fast

Screaming Mosquito section - a variety of of everything (was just cleared and groomed)

Other Sections (not desclosed yet) - some freshly cut trail with soft and deep sandy traps

Have fun!
 

·
aka Taprider
Joined
·
971 Posts
would Nobby Nic (at least on front) be better than Racing Ralph with all the predicted soft and dry, and or loose gravelly sections?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,392 Posts
ccm said:
would Nobby Nic (at least on front) be better than Racing Ralph with all the predicted soft and dry, and or loose gravelly sections?
It should be more dry and hard then soft. I would go with the Racing Ralph. One of my house mates runs RRs and is quite happy with them.

Make sure you hve the ability to carry a lot of water. It is going to be stupidly hot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,704 Posts
wow cort - that's pretty cool adding the Greenstone top in there. How about adding in some Lolo for the old-school dorp to falt crowd. The hike-a-bike through blowdowns will also make some people happy. Sounds like a great course
 

·
aka Taprider
Joined
·
971 Posts
will the Greenstone stage involve the same trails as the Full Boar Challenge, or I am confusing that with Green Mtn?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,392 Posts
ccm said:
will the Greenstone stage involve the same trails as the Full Boar Challenge, or I am confusing that with Green Mtn?
There is a lot of trails on Greenstone. Probably a mix of stuff you have done and stuff you haven't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
LeeL said:
wow cort - that's pretty cool adding the Greenstone top in there. How about adding in some Lolo for the old-school dorp to falt crowd. The hike-a-bike through blowdowns will also make some people happy. Sounds like a great course
Lee,

Yea Greenstone will be a blast. 22 K up the service road then sweet singletract all the way down . My understanding was that Paul B and Chuck B were trying to add Lolo to the mix, however there was too much "red tape" to make it happen this year - perhaps next year.

The really cool thing about having this race in Kamloops is that it will open a lot of doors for local mtb'rs. After the event, a few of these trails (that are on private property) will become Legacy Trails which will allows us to maintain and ride them legally

It gonna be hot boys and gals
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cabc0146
 

·
@adelorenzo
Joined
·
1,670 Posts
So far I am glad to have stayed with the Mountain Kings... The big knobs are giving me a lot of comfort on the very loose downhills. Racing Ralphs would be sketchy, IMHO.

Dying in the heat out here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Ya I feel sorry for you guys. I went for a 20 km loop on Monday and left around 3 in the afternoon at 35 Cel and got home an hour and a half later at 39. I was thinking as I was riding that lucky for you guys the race was not for another week. When I got home i realized the date....
 

·
@adelorenzo
Joined
·
1,670 Posts
Some local ******* just sabotaged the course for today. I guess he doesn't want people on "his" trail. We're waiting for a re-route but are losing the best 30 km of the stage today.

Thanks Jeff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
anthony.delorenzo said:
Some local ******* just sabotaged the course for today. I guess he doesn't want people on "his" trail. We're waiting for a re-route but are losing the best 30 km of the stage today.

Thanks Jeff.
Apparently the guy wanted to keep "free" in "free-riding" and didn't want the x-c guys riding his trail, which BTW, is on crown land.
All I have to say is wow.... way to **** up a good thing for the city of Kamloops, the organizers, volunteers, and the riders.
Welcome to Kamloops!
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top