Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check it out.

Basics and a tentative date for the moment, more specifics to follow. Jumping on the bandwagon, and showing off what I consider to be some of the best and most scenic riding in all of AZ.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Dave

This sounds like a great ride/event I have done the Rainbow Rim and all of the AZT north of GCNP, there is a lot of great riding up that way. This could be a much more ride able version of Krein’s AZT 300 also a Curiak inspired event.

Zach MacDonald aka MTBAZT2010 and I are planning on doing the AZT 300 this year. We have no grand delusions of setting any records. Just hoping to get out and do some good riding on the AZT and as a way to prepare for a full tour of the AZT in 2010.

I will have to give this some serious consideration.

Tim McCabe

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Excellent, Dave. There has been talk of such a race, but no one has stepped up until now.

I'll be curious to see what you come up with on the northern end. I'd vote for including as much of the AZT north of 89A as possible. It's probably not very practical to go all the way to the state line, but going to winter road or somewhere in there might be possible. Let me know if I can help. I have some skill when it comes to mapping...

The way this winter is shaping up, I hope June 16 is late enough. It should be, but in '05 there still would have been snow around. Probably not enough to make much of a difference. Just another run-up for you and your cross bike, right? :)

I've got it penciled in for now.

·
hispanic mechanic
2,686 Posts
This looks awesome!

Any more specific info on trails?
I am wholly unfamiliar with the area, so I need to figure out what maps to study.
This would be my first Curiak-style race, so it should be quite the learning experience...

Los

·
This place needs an enema
17,697 Posts
ionsmuse said:
Check it out.

Basics and a tentative date for the moment, more specifics to follow. Jumping on the bandwagon, and showing off what I consider to be some of the best and most scenic riding in all of AZ.
Sweet!

Thanks for taking the initiative, Dave. This is how it happens people! Get out a map and look at that one big, potentially scary but potentially doable loop around your city/county/valley/state/country. Ride it in pieces as 'training', figure out which direction it works best in, then reverse it if you're diabolical...

The rest is just details!

Can't guarantee I'll make it, but it's on the radar now.

Cheers,

MC

·
17,697 Posts
LyndaW said:
ooooh very cool. That's right in my neck of the woods. I've ridden all of those trails and roads before. The Rainbow Rim trail is a classic.

That date works like a charm for me. Keep it on that day and I'll be there!
So Lynda, when are you gonna put together a race? May I suggest that you start in La Verkin and incorporate Slickrock Swamp and Guac, up the dirt outta Rockville for a mandatory loop of GBM, then down the dirt road, through Apple Valley, and up onto Little Creek? Descend the dirt road to the N of LCM, drop onto the JEM and descend to Hurricane. Find a dirt track that can connect to Church Rocks, then work it over to Broken Mesa. Throw in a loop of Green Valley/Stucki, and you're almost halfway done...

Well? We're waiting!

MC

·
LW Coaching
733 Posts
mikesee said:
So Lynda, when are you gonna put together a race? May I suggest that you start in La Verkin and incorporate Slickrock Swamp and Guac, up the dirt outta Rockville for a mandatory loop of GBM, then down the dirt road, through Apple Valley, and up onto Little Creek? Descend the dirt road to the N of LCM, drop onto the JEM and descend to Hurricane. Find a dirt track that can connect to Church Rocks, then work it over to Broken Mesa. Throw in a loop of Green Valley/Stucki, and you're almost halfway done...

Well? We're waiting!

MC
That'd be a killer loop. I'm not sure I could survive that myself! I'm actually putting together a lap of Pine Valley Mountain Range at the moment but have to piece together a few sections. I reckon it would be about a hundie and a nice training loop.

If I did put together a race today it would be on the other end of the county taking in part of the Virgin Gorge, Blakes Lambing Grounds, BullDog Canyon, Curly Hollow, The Loop, Green Valley. Big country and big views out that-a-way. It's empty too as most visitors go to the Goose/Little Creek and most locals don't ride that far from town.

Kidz are keeping me plenty busy tho...

·
LW Coaching
733 Posts
edemtbs said:
And let's talk about attracting and motivating more women to the sport if such races are organized by women!

Ed E

Apologies for the OT post.
This is OT but worthy. I think you should start a new thread and we can brainstorm ideas on getting ladies involved in endurance mtb events. It might even motivate me to put a route/event together. I'm not sure if I motivate other ladies or scare them tho'?? Like MC suggested there are huge opportunities in this area. I know where all the secret stock tanks and hidden springs are too ;-)

·
17,697 Posts
LyndaW said:
That'd be a killer loop. I'm not sure I could survive that myself! I'm actually putting together a lap of Pine Valley Mountain Range at the moment but have to piece together a few sections. I reckon it would be about a hundie and a nice training loop.
Just tell me that it's trail and not dirt/forest roads, then I'm interested. Don't mind riding dirt road when it's warranted, but in SW Utah that ain't the case!

LyndaW said:
If I did put together a race today it would be on the other end of the county taking in part of the Virgin Gorge, Blakes Lambing Grounds, BullDog Canyon, Curly Hollow, The Loop, Green Valley. Big country and big views out that-a-way. It's empty too as most visitors go to the Goose/Little Creek and most locals don't ride that far from town.
Not very familiar with those spots (as I'm a tourista in your neck o' the woods) but if we're talkin' trail, I'm innerested...

Off for a cold one. Ride, that is...

MC

·
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the support crew! Hairball mentioned it at Denny's this morning; though when I decided to do something with it I decided I'd be satisfied if two people came.

Krein: I will certainly keep the offer in mind. My computer skills are very, very slight. Hopefully we will be ok with snow.

Lynda: Not intention of changing it; the date filled the biggest hole in my fun-schedule.

Mike: Definitely more work to be done. Some is set, some is optional, and I have a few "tricks" I'm considering.

General info, length will probably be between 100 and 150 miles, and fairly fast miles at that. I'll have specifics up in a couple months on the site.

·
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update

Was going to put it here but the bloody server isn't cooperating. On the blog.

Promo hardware was made today, look for some (perhaps) in a location near you.

More details forthcoming in the next month, as snow keeps melting.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Monstercross series?

In a few weeks(waiting for a friend to get back from east coast races) I am getting ready to do a mostly dirt road overnighter in and around the Chiracahua mountains here in SE Arizona, starting and finishing in Douglas. I haven't ridden the route yet, but it looks to be about 140 miles or so of dirt road, with a few sections of pavement here and there. I was thinking this would make a great race course for a solo, self-supported monstercross kinda deal. Course would go up along the west side of the mountains, through the National Forest near the Cochise National Monument on Pinery Road and out to Portal, then Hwy 80 thru Rodeo and make a right going back up into the mountains at Rucker Canyon, then back into the town the way we came. Hundreds of roadies come out every year to do the Cochise County Cycling Classic, and don't get to see half of what you would on an off-road version.

Another interesting route would be a loop similar to one I did with a couple of friends about two years ago. Reddington Pass to Cascabel Road out to Benson, and back along the railroad tracks to the AZT Cienega Corridor, and maybe finish off with a lap of Fantasy Island.

Three Monstercross races, all strictly underground, solo, self-supported races with a series champion? Anyone else here in AZ or elsewhere think this is a great(or even better, ridiculously stupid) idea?

·
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
skidmark said:
In a few weeks(waiting for a friend to get back from east coast races) I am getting ready to do a mostly dirt road overnighter in and around the Chiracahua mountains here in SE Arizona, starting and finishing in Douglas.

Three Monstercross races, all strictly underground, solo, self-supported races with a series champion? Anyone else here in AZ or elsewhere think this is a great(or even better, ridiculously stupid) idea?
Sounds cool. I've only been down south for SSAZ. That for me is one of the big draws of these races; one person does the legwork to lay out a cool, unique route and everyone else benefits. Even better, they seem to be proliferating such that everyone will get paid back.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a similar event this fall here in Prescott. If anyone wanted to organize something else, we could certainly keep track of "points" and have a party at the end of the year.

Just got back from 4 hours of singletrack and dirt road cruising, so my enthusiasm for the idea is high.

Next weekend I'll be off to nail down the Kaibab course, and will have a hard course, hopefully with maps, by the end of the month.

Cheers,
Dave

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.