Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get back into riding after a long (15 year) break. I will be starting out on roads and once I'm back in shape will be riding primarily on trails. I saw a K2 Attack at LL Bean today for $499. I do not pretend to know anything about the new bikes and suspension systems. It appeared to have a sturdy frame and decent components. Right now I weigh 240 with hopes of getting down into the 210 range when I'm back in shape. Is the K2 Attack a good bike for me to get back into riding and will the full suspension bikes handle my weight? I have read the posts about hard tails, is that a better route for me to take? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
290 Posts
For $500 you can go to your LBS (not L.L.Bean) and get a very nice hardtail from Trek, Gary Fisher, Specialized, or Giant. The hardtails will have slightly better components, and much better frames. If you're serious about wanting a full-suspension bike, you're going to have to save up some four-digit figures. Spending less than a grand on FS is not a *wise* idea. You'll get much more life out of a $500 hardtail, whereas that K2, fancy as it looks, will probably blow apart in a year or two. Still, it's not the worst consumer full-susser I've ever seen, but for your weight, and fitness goals, this bike is only going to slow you down and be a pain.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.