Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so im almost finished piecing my Riot frame together and all i need is tires. Im debating between the Maxxis holy rollers and the Kenda Krads. Also what tire size is better. I want some sorta meat under there but i also dont want to bog myself down. I was thinking either holy rollers in 2.4 or K rads in 2.3. Are the Kendas really the smaller of the two? Also, whats the difference in the bead? Jenson USA has the holy rollers cheaper for the 2.4 wire bead than the smaller steel. Whats the difference in the bead? These are the only two tires im looking at so any help would be appreciated.

Maxxis
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TI502A02-Maxxis+Holy+Roller+60D+Tire.aspx

Kenda
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TI401C03-Kenda+K-Rad+Tire.aspx

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking into the micro knobbies but with the amount of pavement riding compared to dirt riding will have them looking like slicks in no time. Im kinda budget building so the Schwallbe's are out since i havent seen em cheaper than $45. As for the other two, i know they are good and i may pick up either one for use out on the local bmx or 4x track.

·
Registered
39 Posts
realy it is up to u what u end up buying
but if u need lots of rim protection id go with the hollyrollers they are more beefy
the krads on the other hand have a thinner casing and just my opinion running both at high psi i think the krads are a lot faster but thats just me.

but really either is a good tire been happy with both

·
App State
103 Posts
I have run both of these tires within the last month, I had holly rollers in 26in and the krads in 24in, and imo they are pretty much the same tire except for tiny differences already mentioned. I like the krads better because they are cheaper and lighter, but its really all about what you want, and the holly rollers in 2.4 are REALLY big, and looked kinda funny on my bike, and would prob look funny on a riot with its small tubing, just my opinion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have yet to try the hollyrollers, but i have 24" k-rads and dig them, a little slippery on concrete especially if its wet. but they are better than hookworms. I dunno this may be a little too beefy but i also like using 26" kenda tomac small bloc 8s... I think they are amazing, i don't rock too much urban on them but they roll really well and do well when i do.... the side wall is reasonably thick too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.