XTR crankset, cassette, front derailer, & chain
Eggbeater Stainless Steel pedals
SRAM X.O rear derailer and grip shifts
Magura Marta SL brakes
Titus Cycles seat
King ISO, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, Stans Olympic rims with yellow rim tape
Salsa stainless skewers
Schwalbe 2.1 Racing Ralph rear, 2.25 Racing Ralph front

I think that pretty much covers it. I have some pics but no way to post them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Man Nice Avatar.

And even nicer build weight.

I only weight a buck fortyfive on a good day so my 27.5 Lbs Blade keeps me close to my fatass friends on the down hill.
Ill probaly have to lighten up as my old age (beer gut) catches up to me though. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Questions re. your build

Nice build Redrock, and was happy to see you're using some parts I've been interested in.

I'm contemplating a few lighter parts for my '04 SB to make it more endurance "raceable". Currently, my large frame ready to ride (bottle cage, empty bottle, wireless computer, FD grunge guard, seat bag with snacks, Stans goop, etc) comes in at 28.2 lbs. I'm contemplating a 2nd lighter wheelset w/lighter tires-rotors-skewers, a lighter seatpost/saddle combo (current is Thomson with a Koobi Au Chrono) and getting the Twin Ti eggbeaters (currently SS). Basically I want to be able to quickly swap parts for faster riding/racing. So:

1. How durable have the Racing Ralphs been? Are you running them tube, or tubeless? What pressure do you typically run them?

2. How are the Stans Olympics? I understand they are - "suppose to be" - stronger than his orignal ZTRs?? Do you know if he has a max recommended rider weight for the Olympics?

3. Is that MAXM stem a carbon or aluminum one??

4. Do you know much about Stans aluminum rotors??

BTW - I've had great luck with my Stans trail setup: DT xr4.1d with Kenda 2.1 Nevs (of course, much heavier than your setup...).

Thanks!

- BladeBoy

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'BladeBoy-

1. The Racing Ralphs have been very durable in my riding conditions (dry single track with roots and some sand.. no rocks) and I'm using them tubeless with stans sealant. I normally run the front at 35lbs and rear at 40lbs.

2. I only have a couple of rides in with the new wheelset. I weigh ~170lbs and have given them good hard rides with some jumping..... so far so good. I dont think there really is a weight limit with the rims. From reading other posts on here, it looks like the only issue with more weight is using the right spokes. I've talked to a Clyde that has had them for a while without problems.

3. The MAXM stem is the machined aluminum one.... wasnt aware of a carbon MTB one.

4. Don't know a whole lot about the Stans AL rotors. The Marta SL rotors suite me just fine. There has been a receint post about these in the Save some weight forum. Here is the link.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=79698

·
shut up and pedal
281 Posts
Just bought a Feedback Sports digital scale. My sb weighs in at 30.0. Large frame with quasi swing arm, fox vanilla fork, old hayes disc brakes, king hubs mavic 819 tubeless with panaracer 2.1 xcpro tires, super wide easton carbon bars, race face cranks.
Great and reliable trail bike that has mud clearance. I can't imagine this bike being 2lbs less. Maybe the fork could loose 3/4 pound.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
weight difference

redrock_z71 said:
Just got back from weighing my Switchblade TALAS at the LBS. Came in at 25lbs 7oz. :D I could always get it lighter but I like it how it sits!
My came in @ 27.5 but it's supposed to be the lighter Ti build kit one.
First it's the 5th Element with the wider chainstays
It's a medium built with the following
05 Minute 2 fork
5th rear shock
Thompson 70mm/0 deg rise stem
Easton Monkey lite carbon bars & Thompson seatpost
RF Dues crankset,SRAM cassette, XT front derailer, &SRAM chain
Speedplay Ti pedals
SRAM 9.O rear derailer and XO grip shifts
Hayes Mag HFX Mag Plus brakes
Specialized Cycles 05 Rival seat
King ISO, DT Comp spokes, Mavic 819 rims with alloy nipples
Bontrager Racelite Ti skewers
Nokian NBX 2.3 Tires

So why does mine weigh 2lbs more than your?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hardmtnbiker said:
My came in @ 27.5 but it's supposed to be the lighter Ti build kit one.
First it's the 5th Element with the wider chainstays
It's a medium built with the following
05 Minute 2 fork
5th rear shock
Thompson 70mm/0 deg rise stem
Easton Monkey lite carbon bars & Thompson seatpost
RF Dues crankset,SRAM cassette, XT front derailer, &SRAM chain
Speedplay Ti pedals
SRAM 9.O rear derailer and XO grip shifts
Hayes Mag HFX Mag Plus brakes
Specialized Cycles 05 Rival seat
King ISO, DT Comp spokes, Mavic 819 rims with alloy nipples
Bontrager Racelite Ti skewers
Nokian NBX 2.3 Tires

So why does mine weigh 2lbs more than your?
There is a noticeable difference in the wheelset alone... mine weighs 1460g for the pair and I'm not using rimstrips or tubes. As far as everything else listed, almost all my parts are a little lighter. Crankset, cassette, disc brakes, stem, handlebars, seatpost, rear derailer, and perhaps a few other parts..... collectively it would give the ~2lbs difference.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
redrock_z71 said:
There is a noticeable difference in the wheelset alone... mine weighs 1460g for the pair and I'm not using rimstrips or tubes. As far as everything else listed, almost all my parts are a little lighter. Crankset, cassette, disc brakes, stem, handlebars, seatpost, rear derailer, and perhaps a few other parts..... collectively it would give the ~2lbs difference.
You are running the Stans Olympic Disc rims without ANY rim strip? How is that working? Stan recommends a rim strip even on these rims with the new beadlock.

I'm a weight weenie at heart but I am running the 819/CK ISO with Racing Ralphs and have been pleased with no rim strips and the durability. I didn't think I coudl get much lighter in a UST rim.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Asahi said:
You are running the Stans Olympic Disc rims without ANY rim strip? How is that working? Stan recommends a rim strip even on these rims with the new beadlock.
That is correct. As per Stan's website, I'm using one strip of yellow rim tape with their 5g stem and havent had any issues so far. I have the special 38g rim strips for the Olympics standing buy just in case though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.