Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I somewhat have a dilemia here. I have about $200 dollers to spend on bike related items and i'm not sure which items on my list would the money would be best spent on. Here is my list of items I want and price. The shock is to replace my oem shock that came on my haro x1 that i use for xc/fr. Also i do not know how to true or build rims. So i'm not sure if i should buy all the tools now and let them sit till i need them or till i can afford to build something with them like a set of wheels. Any help would be usefull, still new to this sport and not sure what I should be buying first.

1. tool tray for my repair stand $20
2. carrying bag for repair stand $20
3. ABA membership $45
4. truing stand $59
5. 5th element shock $150
6. various tools and small parts $50

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I would possibly buy the shock. Another route is to: instead of buy a bunch of tools and truing stand, buy a decent pair of rims. If you get some good ones, they won't need to be trued that much. Also, when they do need to be trued, just take them up to the bike shop. I would still buy a few basic tools though. You also said you would save up and build wheels with your tools. Well, since your new to this sport(like you said), you probably shouldn't be building your own wheels. I know I wouldn't . So instead of buying a bunch of tools, I would: (1) Buy a shock, (2) Buy some decent rims, (3) Save that money and eventually use it towards a wheelset that your bikeshop should build.

Hope that helped abit.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
i dont know about you but my fith element was 400 dollars, and that was a discount.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wheelsets i have on my bikes are good so i don't need a new wheelset. I just thought that since i had the money i would go ahead and buy a truing stand for future use. But i will probably just stick with truing them in the frame for now. And the shock is used, but was recently just tuned up br progressive also getting it through a riding buddy.

Thanks for the advice guys

·
wheeeee!!!
360 Posts
get the shock.... (but plan on spending more than 150)

I've got a haro x1, and the while the fusion that came on it isn't the worst ever, a fith element blows it outta the water. I picked up a fox RC with propedal used on ebay, and the difference is remarkable.

However, a few warnings:
- make absolutely sure that the shock is the right length and stroke. 7.875 i2i shocks come in 2" and 2.25" stroke lengths, and at least on my haro the 2.25 stroke wouldn't have fit.
- plan on buying new reducers. If your haro came with an xfusion you'll need a different set of reducers. You can get these thru progressive, or you can call up push and order a set. These run about 16 bucks from push.
- unless your friend weighs a similar amount and is riding a bike with the same leverage ratios, plan on buying a spring.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
1) Tool tray is a convience option that is nice if you do lots of work on bikes, like being the neigborhood mechanic. Don't waste your cash on one unless you wrench lots. If you have the Ultimate then get the mountable tool box.... that will kill two birds with one stone (bag and tray-out/mobile tool box-in).

2) The tray bag is a piece of junk don't even waste your money.

3) ABA membership????

4) Wheel building is complicated.... If you're not ready to put in the time, money and effort to learn it right away then don't waste any money on it. It sound like you're on a budget so don't waste the money on something that you are not ready for. And a $59 truing stand is not ideal for.....truing in general. On the other hand if you feel that you are ready go for it. This is a really good cost saving option if you and your crew ride hard enough to kill wheels on a regular basis, otherwise you will be sitting there looking at it gather dust and wondering why you even bought it.

5) 5th shock..... I own a 5th first off. I like it and it does what I want it to. Are there better shocks out there? probaly, but for a beginner this shock may be more than enough for you to learn on. For the price you are getting it at.... I say get it. The best option on your list.

6) Tools will go a long way. They save you lots of $$$ so you don't have to go to the shop and get mugged. Learn to wrench and you will be in the sport for life. Don't buy cheap tools. If you buy good ones they will last you longer. $50 on tools for me is only 2-3 peices.

Final word. Buy the shock first. Save some money and buy tools. 3-4years from now if you still enjoy wrenching buy a good truing stand and get into wheel building.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I'd get the shock, and the truing stand.

the shock is going to make a big difference in riding and you'll definately enjoy it.

Having a truing stand to help you as you learn to true wheels (learn to true first before you go getting in over your head with wheelbuilding) It's a valuable skill to have and will pay for its self in the long run. I also recomend getting a wheel building book that goes over building and truing mtb wheels. When your friends need wheels trued, its a nice way to make a few six-packs

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
butocabra said:
I've got a haro x1, and the while the fusion that came on it isn't the worst ever, a fith element blows it outta the water. I picked up a fox RC with propedal used on ebay, and the difference is remarkable.

However, a few warnings:
- make absolutely sure that the shock is the right length and stroke. 7.875 i2i shocks come in 2" and 2.25" stroke lengths, and at least on my haro the 2.25 stroke wouldn't have fit.
- plan on buying new reducers. If your haro came with an xfusion you'll need a different set of reducers. You can get these thru progressive, or you can call up push and order a set. These run about 16 bucks from push.
- unless your friend weighs a similar amount and is riding a bike with the same leverage ratios, plan on buying a spring.
ive got an x1 also. the statement you said about having the exact size of shock is not true. my 5th element is a 8" eye to eye with 2.25 " stroke and it goes on fine, giving me 6.75 inches of travel instead of 6, and my haro is a small so it should fit on any other one.
the reducers were 8 dollars from progressive, but were also hard to get for the haros. it took about a month to get the right ones in.

ps. springs are a important aspect also, a 650 pound on one bike feels the same as a 350 pound on others..seen it first hand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.