Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Pretty in Pink
628 Posts
Awesome goal!

Make sure you have a proper fit above nearly everything else, you want to keep your knees and back in good healthy shape and a improper fit can mess you up, really quickly, Start slow, and short, work your way up, learn how to maintain your bike, change tires/tubes, fix chain/derailleur problems, eat healthy, plenty of water, camelbacks help tons with carrying plenty of water, and/or tools needed to maintain your bike over long stretches of trail. Learn and know your limits, and well... have fun because otherwise its not really worth doing.

It doesnt get easier, you just get faster.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
Welcome and enjoy

I joined the "get more committed" club at 47 this past summer. having a blast!

A century is a 100 whatevers in a single ride event.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
You're too old; give it up

j/k:p

Started at 42, now 63. Progressed from a good HT to FS, and as I have great terrain to ride like you, moved into FR. If riding doesn't keep you young, nothing will.

Enjoy the ride, Jim

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Likewise, I started at 47, and now almost 60. I'm not fast, but my fitness and skills slowly continue to improve.

Maybe by Century he means a hundred years?

It's a great sport with as much challenge as you can stand. Enjoy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Whats the roman numeral for 50?

Ill be 50 in Feb!
Re-starting after a marriage, divorce, a nice binge, rehab.........:D
I live in N SB county, see you on the trails!
Never forget the story about the young bull and the old bull!

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
I started to REALLY mtn bike at 40 when I moved to BC from Ontario, and going to be 47 this year. I have an addiction to biking and bikes and always thinking about something to do with bikes or riding...welcome and enjoy... you will soon see that you cant stay off the bike.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Joel. said:
I plan on finishing 100 this summer? What does that mean?
It means he's probably riding more than you do. :D

Welcome to the madness tick1959. You riding the hardtail on that century? Heading over to Paso Robles and joining in on the big party at the Great Western Bicycle Rally? I've done that a few times...

I did quite a few centuries both road and offroad (altho the offroad ones were just metric) when I first got back on a bike (I did it in my early 30s) and for a couple years afterwards, worked as crew on a few as well. Great way to have fun with a bunch of like-minded people. Haven't done one in many years, but still ride quite a bit, just don't like being in the saddle quite that long in one go anymore. Maybe I should do one for a change of pace.

Oh, I'm 54 later this year (that would be LIV in roman numerals Phaceplant).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.