Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the bike out for the first time through some trails, got home today and the tire was flat. I looked at the tire and found TONS of thorns in it from riding the trails and also what looked like a staple?! I believe the staple did it, but those thorns were so deep that those probably had to have done something to the tube. What can I do to prevent this? I am gonna buy new tires since these were stock and suck! I need something that works with what I have now: 26x2.25. I don't have tons of money, so I was hoping to pay UNDER $30 per tire.. Unless you would just say "don't ride your bike for under 30 per tire.."
Thanks!!!

P.S. What are some good MTN Bike stores to shop at online?

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
panaracer cinder is good tire, 2.25". Or WTB Weirwold, 2.3". You should be able to find them for about $30 or so. As for the thorn issues, you can get slime-filled innertubes, or convert them to tubeless with Stan's NoTubes. Slime and Stan's will seal small punctures like thorns. You can also get thorn-resistant tubes, which are made of thicker rubber than your regular tube. Slime also makes a liner you can put between the tube and the tire that will prevent punctures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jwiffle said:
panaracer cinder is good tire, 2.25". Or WTB Weirwold, 2.3". You should be able to find them for about $30 or so. As for the thorn issues, you can get slime-filled innertubes, or convert them to tubeless with Stan's NoTubes. Slime and Stan's will seal small punctures like thorns. You can also get thorn-resistant tubes, which are made of thicker rubber than your regular tube. Slime also makes a liner you can put between the tube and the tire that will prevent punctures.
I took this idea (kinda) and ended up getting some new tires. Got puncture resistant tubes and the slime liner. The guy at the bike shop said at checkout "if I see you back here because of a puncture, i'm really going to be surprised". Looks like a good setup and better, stronger tires.. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
I recommend using SpinSkins pantyshields. Err, tire liners. 34grams a tire, worked great for me and goat's head thorns for 2+ years when I lived in that territory.

Click here and scroll down a little.

~ Rex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.