Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
you go ahead
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else notice the impact of the "Christian Bikers" thread on the mtbr.com community?
This thread had divided the site between the "faithful" and the "atheists." If you are the kind of person who enjoys heated online discussions about religion and politics, please register to a site meant for that. It seems that many from the Politics Forum don't even care about discussing bicycles :confused: . I am fine with that, though. As long as it stays in its designated area. It seems that mtbr has changed completely after that thread.

I came here to find people to ride with, to have questions answered, and to discuss issues with people with similar interests. OT threads are fine, but threads concerning religion and politics will simply divide people according to their beleifs. The internet allows people to express themselves rather harshly without consequences. On the trail, I am sure many "enemis" here would get along great.

Sorry for such a useless post :rolleyes: , but I just thought it was time that somebody pointed this out after reading the Guess What Bush Rides argument. That is a clear example of what we should avoid IMO.

thanks
rustyb :)

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
Yeah, I'd rather discuss whether we should just have a fee to belong to this site and do away with all the
ads.
Or better yet, whos turn it is to bring the beer!

·
Registered
649 Posts
RustyBearings said:
Anyone else notice the impact of the "Christian Bikers" thread on the mtbr.com community?
I hear you Rusty!! Was thinking the very same thing myself.
The fact that it appeared outside of the dedicated forum was a bit annoying. I thought general discussion meant things related to mountain bikes or actually riding.
I did find it funny though when the 'Satanic bikers' and 'Buddhist bikers' threads appeared. It was bound to happen after that initial thread was posted.

And as for the political-socio-economic-religion board, it seems like it is an entity all of its own. The vibe is very different from every other forum here, it can be quite hostile, arrogant and dismissive. Some of the peeps seem like they are just there for their own particular agenda rather than to enjoy some good company.

·
Registered
649 Posts
fred3 said:
Mtbr changed a looong time before you got here. Unfortunately it's not the community it once was.
I have been reading these forums for a while, just wasn't registered before.
But compared to many i am still a newbie in this neck of the woods.

Would like to think that it could still be a great place to hang out.

·
Banned
640 Posts
It is a great place to hang out, funny pics, funny comments.
Great info told in a funny way, just like a trailhead rant.
But becareful what you say about what is out there to ride.
In the forest bikers have a bike.
Here they say they do, but do they really ride?
OR are they just collecting info to use for their gain?
O and this is all about singletrack dirt.
What would a real rider do with RustyBEARings?

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
No, didn't notice...

RustyBearings said:
This thread had divided the site between the "faithful" and the "atheists." If you are the kind of person who enjoys heated online discussions about religion and politics, please register to a site meant for that. It seems that many from the Politics Forum don't even care about discussing bicycles :confused: . I am fine with that, though. As long as it stays in its designated area. It seems that mtbr has changed completely after that thread.

I came here to find people to ride with, to have questions answered, and to discuss issues with people with similar interests. OT threads are fine, but threads concerning religion and politics will simply divide people according to their beleifs. The internet allows people to express themselves rather harshly without consequences. On the trail, I am sure many "enemis" here would get along great.

Sorry for such a useless post :rolleyes: , but I just thought it was time that somebody pointed this out after reading the Guess What Bush Rides argument. That is a clear example of what we should avoid IMO.

thanks
Then again, I used this really cool feature called free will to not click on the threads that I don't want to read.

Ken

·
Shreddin the Cul de Sac
491 Posts
Missed the memo

I wasn't interested in in the thread abt Christian bikers, so I never read it.
So I guess the answer is no, I didn't notice.
Please let me know which group I've been lumped into, so I know who I should side with.
Thanks!

BTW chances are if I ran into someone in the woods and we rode together for a while, the topic of religion would most likely never come up, and everybody would have a swell time.

Too much over-analysis goes on in these forums.

RustyBearings said:

thanks

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
mr plow said:
The vibe is very different from every other forum here, it can be quite hostile, arrogant and dismissive. Some of the peeps seem like they are just there for their own particular agenda rather than to enjoy some good company.
Sounds like the Ellsworth forum of old...

·
cyclemaven.net
364 Posts
There was a thread labelled "curious"

Ken in KC said:
Then again, I used this really cool feature called free will to not click on the threads that I don't want to read.

Ken
So, I clicked on it to see what this person was curious about AS PERTAINS TO MTBING.
It turned out to be yet another flame war having nothing whatsoever to do with mountain biking. This is a problem that can easily be solved by the moderators. Move the thread to the appropriate forum.

·
the bomb
531 Posts
well…

RustyBearings said:
I am fine with that, though. As long as it stays in its designated area. It seems that mtbr has changed completely after that thread.
They just added the political forum last year. Was all lost before that happened.......no.

People will talk about what they want to talk about, and there's very little chance this post will change anyones mind. That being said, you have every right to ask it.

this too shall pass :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ken in KC said:

Ken
Great post.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
mr plow said:
And as for the political-socio-economic-religion board, it seems like it is an entity all of its own. The vibe is very different from every other forum here, it can be quite hostile, arrogant and dismissive. Some of the peeps seem like they are just there for their own particular agenda rather than to enjoy some good company.
Hang around for a while - it grows on you.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
RustyBearings said:
It seems that many from the Politics Forum don't even care about discussing bicycles
And that would be because..... it's the default "OT" forum for MTBR!

Several Politics Forum posters frequent the other forums, where we do indeed discuss all things biking. We just happen post our OT stuff where it belongs, unlike some others.

I wholeheartedly agree with the gist of your post, BTW. :)

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
What's odd is that you (RustyBearings) draw more attention to the "divide" (if one actually exists) by posting about it all over again! If it disturbs you so much, why are you bringing it up?! :rolleyes:

I don't mind that there are occasional off-topic discussions around here, and as happens on my local site, makes no difference on group rides what we discuss on the internet. Religion never comes up during a ride. That's what mtb is for- getting away from the crap that drives us nuts in other aspects of our lives.

But on the internet, I gravitate toward the bike sites when I can't be out riding. And when I'm done with all the bike-related topics, there's nothing like a good argument in some off-topic forum to keep me occupied :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
RustyBearings said:
:)
never read it never will, never even clicked on it. Why would anyone who doesn't believe it should be in this forum participate in that discussion? If you ignore it, it will go away.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.