Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I loved it! What a great bike. I'd compare it to a beefy Santa Cruz Blur LT. Now, I've got one on order from a LBS so I can test ride a larger size... and if it goes right, I'll put a deposit down on it. THe thing is, I haven't really heard too much about this bike, being a specialized/santa cruz guy before. I ride lots of different "all mountain" type trails, like to jump off stuff, and do lots of 3+ hour XC type rides. Basically, if it's long and difficult, I do it. Does anyone have any input here? I know that the components on this bike are decent enough, even though I think they should slap on juicy seven stuff. What are your thoughts on this? Is it a good value for the bike at 2999.99 + tax? Is it worth it to go to the SXC 90? Are there comparable bikes out there that you like more? What do you think?? Thanks a lot.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Well, in my books, the SXC frame is solid enough to be on my short list....along with the Intense 6.6, SC Nomad and such.

I'm tempted to get one of the Canuck frames and build it up custom, just for my Clyde-sized, long range XC, aggressive AM and daily commuting riding style. :)

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Psycho Mike said:
Well, in my books, the SXC frame is solid enough to be on my short list....along with the Intense 6.6, SC Nomad and such.

I'm tempted to get one of the Canuck frames and build it up custom, just for my Clyde-sized, long range XC, aggressive AM and daily commuting riding style. :)
Yes, those are a few riding styles I'll be using it for surely. I'll assume you don't think that this is "too much bike" for racing dudes on Epics.... but enough bike for plugging some drops and skidding around DH's. It's just that there are only 3 reviews on this site for this bike, and even fewer ride reports on this forum. WTF? Is this bike just hard to find or something? What other bikes would you compare it to? I like intense's, don't like the nomad... but what else is out there in a 36 fork and still aggro-XC oriented? I don't think there's a match!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I have yet to ride one, but it's on my list.

You may want to take a look at the Reign 0 as well.

Not spec'd as well as the SXC 70 by any means, but a nice bike as well.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I would love to try one just to try one out. It certainly looks like a nice ride. Only problem is RM screwed up in the beginning on their obscure ad campaign, a la Infiniti. Additionally, I don't know why, but the RM dealers here won't stock it and are shying away from stocking RM altogether. I guess supply and demand.

·
Registered
837 Posts
LandSpeed said:
It's just that there are only 3 reviews on this site for this bike, and even fewer ride reports on this forum. WTF? Is this bike just hard to find or something? What other bikes would you compare it to? I like intense's, don't like the nomad... but what else is out there in a 36 fork and still aggro-XC oriented? I don't think there's a match!
Hey, if you want the one the everyone else has got, with lots of reviews, buy the Nomad. The SXC is a rare bird. You won't see 3 others at your local trailhead. You'll be different. It's handbuilt and hand painted in a relatively small Canadian factory in coastal BC, so supply will always be limited, hence you're fighting a loosing battle if you're trying to get a lot of opinion from people who own this bike. There just aren't that many, and most the SXC riders likely don't even surf mtbr.

I think it's intended purpose fits the bill you're asking for. I can tell you that the paint and details on my RMB and the others I've seen is second to none. Want a bike that you'll oogle every time you throw a leg over it? Get the SXC.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I own an SXC 90 18", best bike I have ever owned hands down! Went through Ellsworth, Specialized, SC, and others. And I get the biggest smile on my face off this bike. Climbs really well, and decends even better. I can't say enough good things about this rig. The stock tires on this bike suck thou, make a deal with the dealer to swap them out. The SXC 70 is good deal, but I decided to go with a 90 because it come with Tubeless wheels and the fork is adjustable for low speed tuning. Get it, you won't regret it. Rockys are awesome bikes.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
I suspect that the dealer demand for the Slayer and Slayer SXC is higher in the mountainous regions of the continent, or possibly that's just the way the local reps or factory see it when they fill orders. They're readily available here on the west coast in the shops. You can even demo them right on Mt.Seymour if you drop into Different Bikes at the base of the mountain.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've been drooling over one @ my lbs for the last couple of weeks now. I missed the RM demo day a couple of weeks ago.:madman: I'd be all over it if I didn't have a babe along soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had my eyeball on a slayer or sxc, but I've been having a hard time finding the shock stroke info. I'm a little on the heavy side and I want to have an idea of what the leverage ratio is. Does anyone know where I could find this info? I've been looking on RM's site for that and frame weight (for the switch) with no luck. Any knowledge would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going to test ride a Slayer SXC 50 tomorrow (they don't have any 70s or 90s in stock), but would consider the 70 or 90, too. I'll let you know what I think.

I'm moving to La Paz, Bolivia this summer and wanted to get a good all-mountain bike. Does anyone have any comments on how the Slayer SXC 70 would compare to the Enduro SL Comp / Expert?

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TwoBuckChuck said:
I'm going to test ride a Slayer SXC 50 tomorrow (they don't have any 70s or 90s in stock), but would consider the 70 or 90, too. I'll let you know what I think.

I'm moving to La Paz, Bolivia this summer and wanted to get a good all-mountain bike. Does anyone have any comments on how the Slayer SXC 70 would compare to the Enduro SL Comp / Expert?
Bolivia? Man, just don't get all coked out and pull some Scarface kind of a deal. As far as comparing the Slayer to the Enduro, I'd say that they're similar... and I've ridden both... but the Slayer looks better. I still don't trust the in house shocks that Spec is putting on there, since it seems like they're just trying to save money. I also think that the Enduro has more of a DH feel... i.e. bigger/pigger. The slayer felt more like a beefed up XC (like a bigger Santa Cruz Blur LT, bigger Stumpjumper, etc), hence the name SXC (super XC), meaning that the SXC feels more nimble. If I were you, just do a comparison by shooting out on one after the other, pick what feels best. They're both great bikes. I just hope you're not planning on ordering a 20.5 Slayer 70, you'll be competing with me for a bike. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
rockyuphill said:
I suspect that the dealer demand for the Slayer and Slayer SXC is higher in the mountainous regions of the continent, or possibly that's just the way the local reps or factory see it when they fill orders. They're readily available here on the west coast in the shops. You can even demo them right on Mt.Seymour if you drop into Different Bikes at the base of the mountain.
I live in Seattle and I have not seen a 2006 or newer RM Slayer on the trail yet. I see a lot of Rockies around, just not the Slayer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No worries on both accounts. I'd probably ordering a 19 inch 70 SXC. Any idea on how long it takes to order a Slayer? I need to have it ready to be shipped by August.

I'm also a little concerned about Specialized's proprietary shocks. If they fail down there, it could take a month to get a replacement. I've heard that there's a great bike shop down there, but they're not a Specialized distributor. They could probably help me out with the types of shocks on most other bikes, though.

·
Registered
875 Posts
TwoBuckChuck said:

Are you going on that Bolivian Death Road tour on the mountain bikes? If so...YOU SUCK!! I'm dyin (pun fully intended) to go down there and go on that mountain bike tour.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I may get up the nerve to the World's Most Dangerous Road, but at first I'm going to stick to cruising around the mountains. If you go, make sure you ride with Gravity Assisted Bolivia.

Back to the thread....I just tested the Slayer SXC 50--very nice ride! Lots of travel, not too heavy, and very responsive. There aren't any 70s in stock, though. I still don't have a clue on what to get. The large fit really well.

I'm going to try out the Spec. Enduro SL Pro this afternoon. Decisions, decisions....

·
Registered
346 Posts
My Slayer SXC-70 will be ready tomorrow at the LBS. An advantage of being in Quebec is that the bike was ordered last Monday and it's already ready for pickup! The ProCycle warehouse is few hundred Km away.

I'll post my review in few weeks once I've tested. I'll be at the Mount St-Anne World Cup next week to that give you an idea of the initial test field. That's really the extreme but I'm usually riding more flowy east-cost style trails and come from a XC background. My current ride is an IH HollowPoint. I still don't really know what to expect from this bike but I'll wait and see.

-HypNo
Quebec IMBA rep

1 - 20 of 29 Posts