Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have resisted the 29er thing, mostly due to my height (5'6") they always seem sort of large and unwieldy to me. But I'm willing to give it some time and miles and see how it goes.

So I know there are probably posts like this all the time, but curious if there are any general thoughts/opinions about the following 29ers, as these are available locally to me:

*Raleigh xxix

*Haro Mary

*GT Peace 29er

I'm going to check out the Raleigh today, just noticed from the website it's belt-driven. What are the pros and cons of this?

The Raleigh and the Haro are new (last year's models I think) and the Peace is used but appears to be in great shape and is of course cheaper.

Are the Spot Longboard and/or Surly Karate Monkey significantly better than the bikes above? Should I wait till I find one of these locally on craigslist?

Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks -Eric

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
Are the Spot Longboard and/or Surly Karate Monkey significantly better than the bikes above? Should I wait till I find one of these locally on craigslist?
Commenting on the Longboard only - those are off-shore bikes, not built by Spot. I'd reckon mine might be a little lighter than the GT, and probably about equivalent to the Raleigh and Haro. I would not wait on one if it was me. Chances are the Spot will cost more just based on name recognition.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for input guys... looks like I'll be buying the used Peace. Quite a bit cheaper and I think it's going to fit real well (I'll know early afternoon when I go to see it). If I buy it, I'll post up some better pics. Here's one the seller sent me.

Attachments

·
5,423 Posts
Nice Piece I mean Peace. Good that you can check it out in person, given your height.

FWIW I never understood why the SS models didn't come in the rasta colors. Seems like a perfect match to me.

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
Sorta but the rasta colors are red, yellow, green I think but a similar fade if you will.

I had a Peace 26 and aside from being a bit of a ww at heart, it was a nice riding bike and a great starting point for me going SS. I already had a bunch of parts from another bike so I was pretty much swapping crap out as soon I got it home. In the end I sold it after building up a 29er. Even though I went to a larger wheel setup the 29 came out lighter than the Peace (29er is alu vs steel peace).

Judging from the pictures the only think I think I would be worried about changing out right away would be the brakes. The look like the stock Tektro which pale in comparison to a set of Avid BB7's. Other than that, just go ride that sucker!

·
gotta get up to get down
670 Posts
i got an extra set of BB5's if you need em E, also I heard procycling or some bike store has the GT Karakoram 3.0 for closeout cheap.

Not sure if it is still going on, but that's what Arin picked up for the 24 hr race. Also, just realized it is a geared bike, so if you're going for singlespeed go with the Peace.

·
5,423 Posts
Sorta but the rasta colors are red, yellow, green I think but a similar fade if you will.
Yep. At one time an LBS had SS in a solid color and geared in the rasta. I'd have taken the SS home if it was rasta.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 26er had too large of a frame... it wasn't marked but it might've even been a large. For commuting, it wasn't too terribly bad, but no way I could actually 'mtn bike' with it.

I passed on the pictured white Peace above too. It was a Medium. I felt like I was sitting 6 feet off the ground. A 29er just might not be in the cards for me. I'm going to check out a Haro Mary at Colo Springs Bike shop on Saturday. It's a 16" frame... if that one doesn't work, I'll definitely go back to a 26" wheeled rigid, but just with a smaller frame than the Peace I had before.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My new Haro Mary

I dig it! I just wonder if I'm ever gonna get used to these big 'ol wheels! I'm going to give it some time. Of all the 29ers I tried, this is the only one that I didn't feel like I was sitting 6 feet off the ground.

It's also pretty cool looking!

Will have to give these stock On One bars a chance... they're sort of odd looking, but pretty comfy for cruisin' around the neighborhood. Not sure what they'll be like on a trail though.

MARY!!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.