Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Recreational Racer
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a year of light use, ten races to include two XTERRA, I finally got around to make sure my free hub was alright on my Crossmax SL. Not wanting to search up and down God's green earth for the ideal mineral oil I opted to use plain old baby oil. The free hub was relatively clean, no dirt or grime just grayish black oil that was super easy to cleanup. Now for the questions; What is the minimum amount or play (run out?) in the nylon? (or what ever it is made out of) bushing before replacement is necessary? And why wouldn't Mavic use a lubricant that has more shear strength than mineral oil? Maybe a thicker oil would require stronger springs for the paw and induce more wear and noise? Thoughts?

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Jvan_wert said:
After a year of light use, ten races to include two XTERRA, I finally got around to make sure my free hub was alright on my Crossmax SL. Not wanting to search up and down God's green earth for the ideal mineral oil I opted to use plain old baby oil. The free hub was relatively clean, no dirt or grime just grayish black oil that was super easy to cleanup. Now for the questions; What is the minimum amount or play (run out?) in the nylon? (or what ever it is made out of) bushing before replacement is necessary? And why wouldn't Mavic use a lubricant that has more shear strength than mineral oil? Maybe a thicker oil would require stronger springs for the paw and induce more wear and noise? Thoughts?
When the nylon bushing wears enough the rear hub will start to ghost shift.

I just use triflow chain lube.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I use Pedro's Road Rage, that's actually what the Mavic race technicians use. Thicker oils can gum up, accumulate in the teeth the pawls lock into, resulting in the pawls slipping, you don't want that.

I don't tolerate any play in the bushing, they usually last a few years but I guess that depends of how much you use the wheels, how much you take care of them, in what conditions... I'm tempted to try the freehub kits with a big bearing instead of the bushing they sell on ebay once I need to change mine...

·
Recreational Racer
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have some play, I was just wondering how much is to much. That bearing kit on Ebay does look like a good investment. Anybody out there tried it yet?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Get the bushings from Ebay. Get the standard size. The play will be gone, easy fix. John something is his name who has them. Great to deal with. No need for a new freehub. I use Triflow as well, no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.