Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I wasn't sure where to post this and I know this is off topic, but I know some of you are history lovers, so I just wanted to say I saw that new movie, "The Eagle". Pretty good I thought. Won't tell you much about it because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. It's about that era of history (Romans vs Scots and Picts ca 120AD), and some good views of Scottish highlands and all.

A friend of mine that was there said he did not like it all that much, not enough history or action. I said history? Action? It was all through it!! I think he expected it to be like Gladiator with large scale battles and Roman legions on the march, etc.. It did show some good fighting in it, believe me, but not on the scale of Gladiator. But I liked it a lot for that reason. It was more realistic to me. And the northern British Celts, the Scotti and Picts? I thought it portrayed them pretty well, which was another thing I liked about it. As I said, it was about the strife between the Romans and northern British Celts, the Scotti, Picts, etc.. I have a lot of Scottish blood running through my veins and I have studied Scottish Gaelic some and have always wanted to hear it spoken in a normal, real conversation, etc.. Well, in the movie all the enemy spoke Scottish Gaelic, all through the movie, with subtitles of course. The Romans spoke modern English. As I said I have studied it a bit and caught some of it. I was thrilled to hear the language spoken in normal way by normal people in conversation.

At first I was unsure what in the heck they were speaking. But after a while the main charactor had to go north of Hadrian's Wall (you'll have to watch the movie to find out why) and took his slave, a northern British Celt, with him. At first when I heard people speak in a fast, normal way, I was unsure. But the Roman and his slave were caught by some folks painted blueish (Picts?), whom the slave and others called the Sea or Seal People (could not tell which). Anyway, they had to reverse roles to keep the Roman alive. The blue painted men asked the Roman's slave, who they thought was the master, who he was and he answered "Is misse Esca!" I caught that and remembered it as being Scottish Gaelic. It simply means "I am Esca", pronounced "Ish misheh Esca". Fascinating and hard to learn language to say the least. But I was thrilled to hear real Gaelic spoken in such a movie. MAde it all the more realistic to me!!
Forgive me for posting something so far off topic, but I thought some of y'all might be interested.
Later,
Freebooter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.