Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Master of the Obvious
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from Utah, I attended the 2008 Specialized dealer event. I was there to scope out the lineup for the shop I work at and to Demo the new 29ers. well the bikes are very well done they held the MTB demo at the Deer Park resort and I was able to put both the FSR and Hardtail to the test. Neither of these bikes disappoint. I rode the Hardtail first and right of the bat I noticed that the steering is quicker than either 29er I have had ( a KM &a Rig) The HT Stumpy felt really good and quick and the new Captains tires really have a good bite, I really recomend this bike for XC use and I probably will get one for racing, but I digress I don't get much opportunity to ride freestyle so I quickly swapped out the HT for the FSR, and let the good times roll, and roll they did. The new brain set up on the rear suspension is very smooth and easy to dial in. The first run I took it easy to feel this bike out, but the next two runs I really pushed her and she was up for the challenge, This bike flat out rocked it handled everything I could throw at her (remember I am not gravity type rider). once again the tires where fantastic and this bike was compliant and smooth with almost no bob during acceleration. I wanted to compare the 29 FSR to the 26" or even something like a true freeride bike but I spent to much time on the 29er and had to catch my Bus back to SLC.
I think the FSR is a really fun bike and on a side note the color scheme looked a whole lot better in person....

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
How was SP presenting these 29" bikes, knowing they dissed them all the way up to their own official launch?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Cloxxki said:
How was SP presenting these 29" bikes, knowing they dissed them all the way up to their own official launch?
Who cares? Get over it.

Big companies don't go diving into niches. This idea isn't exclusive to the bike world. Small companies innovate and the big companies come in later.

The performance and service of a bike and it's company is all I really care about.

Back on topic, I think these will be really cool bikes. I'm not looking to add an FS bike (esp. w/ big wheels) to my fleet, but if I were, I would put the FSR on my short list.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
you sound like davidcopperfield (where did that guy go?)

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
True....

rensho said:
For as ugly as that FSR is, that's 3 of 3 reviews that are very positive.
However, no one is speaking much about climbing, or cornering. Just that it's fun on the downhills.

I am waiting for something a little more detailed- an "overall review"- before I say I've read a "positive review".

And what of the wheel base and chain stay length? I'm interested if anyone has put a tape measure to one of these yet. (Looks longish on both counts)

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
SAvIY said:
Pic!!!!

if you have any. I have not seen the spez 29ers but im pumped about them!
Sorry, too lazy to go back and forth, but AnthonyS posted a pic on the passion board. He rode it as well.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Business practices that make MS look like a kid

They jumped in for one reason and one reason only. Don't appreciate how they deal with dealers though . An interesting link if you're thinking of patronizing Specialized, but Specialized made them pull the piece, luckily Google cached it
Cloxxki said:

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
Any chance the Specialized folks said when the new "Captain" tire would hit the market?? A friend had a pair of 26" Captains that he rode in the Cascade Cream Puff 100 and he could not stop talking about how AMAZING they rode hooking up to the earth like they were velcro or something!! I would love to get my hands on a pair in the 29er size!!!! Anyone know???

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
LyNx said:
They jumped in for one reason and one reason only. Don't appreciate how they deal with dealers though . An interesting link if you're thinking of patronizing Specialized, but Specialized made them pull the piece, luckily Google cached it
You don't get to read that in the magazines... :)

The rest of the industry as I know it seems to work on trust and loyaly, not strangling contracts and lawyers. If what I read is true (why would I not believe it?), I hope in my country laws disallow such contracts.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yup, that's a crap load of BS that's for sure. Sounds like the contract some a$$holes tried to get me to sign basically stating that they could fire me whenever for absolutely what ever reason they thought of. I told them where to shove that job and the business soon failed as I was the one who had set it up and knew all the contacts and sides of it.

I'll point this story out from now till eternity to anyone considering SpecialEd.:nono: FYI I found this througha lin on the general forum.

Cloxxki said:
You don't get to read that in the magazines... :)

The rest of the industry as I know it seems to work on trust and loyaly, not strangling contracts and lawyers. If what I read is true (why would I not believe it?), I hope in my country laws disallow such contracts.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
LyNx said:
Yup, that's a crap load of BS that's for sure. Sounds like the contract some a$$holes tried to get me to sign basically stating that they could fire me whenever for absolutely what ever reason they thought of. I told them where to shove that job and the business soon failed as I was the one who had set it up and knew all the contacts and sides of it.

I'll point this story out from now till eternity to anyone considering SpecialEd.:nono: FYI I found this througha lin on the general forum.
Don't bet on Google caching it forever though. Lame Blogger site took it down, apparently. Or maybe the LBS got a settlement of sorts?
If I'd be in their shoes with the little info available to us here, I'd write an open letter to all fellow Sp dealers in the world, to warn them. With a newsletter to subsbribe to. Sue this!

I there a union for sp dealerships? :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Specialized business practices

-We hire and train our first General Manager and send him to the Specialized product school. He is hired away from us by Specialized shortly thereafter (believe it or not - to become our local Specialized rep).

If this is true, that is beyond weasly.

-A couple months later the Specialized National Sales Manager asks for a meeting during which he tells us of his desire to grow with his key dealers and that we are one of them. They offer once again to help financially to move the non-Specialized store AND they ask us to drop the Giant Bicycle line in all of our stores. We said no

Again, if true, that's unbelievable, asking to get rid of the competition.They sound like the mob.

-The Specialized attorney says we owe them $412,000 (which we do not not dispute). We do not have the money to pay it back in one lump sum and have suggested various payment plans. Obviously being cut off from your #1 vendor limits your ability to generate cash flow to continue repayment (especially if you were unprepared for it like we were).

-Specialized has rejected our payment plans and has served us with a lawsuit demanding immediate payment of the full amount. They are seeking a judgment against our company and against us personally as the guarantors. They are pursuing a judgement against our personal assets - namely our home. Ouch!!!!!!!!!

Now they sound like the IRS.

·
Registered
449 Posts
back to the bike

Stopped by the dealer today to get a look at the spec. For the Stumpjumper FSR - MSRP is $4100. For the price I am really not impressed with the spec for the money.

You get Avid Juicy's --- I would prefer the new XT but thats just me. The pics look like Juicy Ultimates. The front rotor sizes mention 185 and 203 and the rear rotor sizes mention 160 and 185 -- not sure if this is frame size dependent?

LX front derailleur -- on a $4100 bike -- not that there is anything wrong with LX stuff

Rim says DT Swiss Custom for Spec. X470 24mm wide 32 hole

Front Hub is Spec. Hi Lo Disk, CNC flange and disc mount with sealed cartridge bearings
Rear Hub is DT Swiss Custom for Spec. 370

Saddle -- Basically sounds like a hollow rail Rival saddle -- no Ti saddle on a $4100 Bike?

X9 Triggers, XO rear Derailleur, Specialized alloy h/bar (no carbon?)

Guess I will just have to see how it rides?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts