Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will make this short as I am tired from a 10 day trip. I lot of pictures have been posted lately of moab so i will post what you have not seen, snow shots for now til I get time to go through the pictures i took over 10 days.
Yes Amasa Back is nothing like before, everything is filled in basically where drops used to be, and I am sure others have already covered this.
I was pretty blustery most of the time, so I went up into the La Sals and went snowboarding..!!!!!
Then ended up today at Mammoth, the most impressive snow deptth pictures. If anyone has been there in the summer riding, you will recognize these pictures, the snow really is as deep as they claim. Easily 15 foot depth in most places, including where you come out of the gondola building on the very top of the mountain. There was this big pole with a few ski run names on it, I think I may even have a summer picture of this 15 footish high pole, well it is buried, you can barely see the top sign on it. The 2 sets of stairs you rode down to get to the dirt also from the gondola building, I took 2 steps and was on snow. The lodge building has snow up to the second story balcony where you can sit and eat outside. Now you just slide up to the railing and step over, no more need for the stairs...!!!!! If your planning a June Mammoth bike weekend, it need some serious re scheduleing.
More pictures in a few days.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
CrashTheDOG said:
Here's a couple of threads on the topic...

Amasa Info (Trail Sanitation)

Moab - Amasa Back

I'm very interested to see the damage, or hopefully the lack of it, myself in a couple of weeks.
say it isn't so...say it isn't so.

I was hoping to get back to Moab this October. Amasa was one of my favorites....mostly due to the great dropsand technical climbs.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lets put it this way

CrashTheDOG said:
You guys really need to get out more. ;)
I came away feeling like I could have rode Amasa on a hardtail. Sure any good technical rider can, but when I own a 5 inch travel bike and refuse to get beat up riding a hard tail at my age, that is saying something about all the fill done to Amasa. There is still the fun slickrock slabs in there, but other than that, not much to get excited about. I was told by the shops in town it was done to get trucks up to a pipeline high up. Now might be the time to encourage the jeeps to go big and tear it up. I did not even bother to take pictures on Amasa.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nothing to worry about...the trail off backside is/has been more interesting that going down the traditional trail. Jacksons Trai is official now. From the Powerline/Gas pipe. But with a little investigation one can find a much longer line off the top, that is way more fun! The only exception being the water crossing at the end, which recently was 5 ft deep! (Feels good on a hot day!).

It still all good!

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I've been hearing about mammoth closing down in August for skiing. I guess a lot of the camps up on Mt Hood are expecting raw glacier surface at Timberline and decided to set up shop at Mammoth. So much for riding the big bike there this summer........... :(

Can't wait till tioga gets plowed..........

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
No cause for alarm! I rode Amasa back twice about a month ago, All the drops are still basically there. The big one at the "elbow" is still there- however the tranny is tore up from jeeps. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with 5 minutes and a shovel. However, there is a new line now- (new to me at least). Stay right while approaching the drop, go around the tree, and theres a 3-4' step down onto a sandstone slab that makes for a great tranny. (picture #2) Carry speed and go straight and theres a pretty big step-up that puts you up 6-7'. ebXtreme was nailing this, getting huge air...

Approaching the elbow from above, you can also stay far left, hop up onto the ledge, and get basically a 3-4 drop as well. (picture #1 )

My crew spent about an hour sessioning these drops, till our buddy kevin endo'd and split his fox leg armour open, down to his knee which later required 3 stitches. He finished the ride though. I agree with BobW, hit the drops on the way up, then take "jacksons trail" down, it's killer.

Sorry for the crap pictures, but you get the idea.

tscheezy said:
No! What are you talking about? Aaaaiiig!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sure did not see many

FM said:
No cause for alarm! I rode Amasa back twice about a month ago, All the drops are still basically there. The big one at the "elbow" is still there- however the tranny is tore up from jeeps. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with 5 minutes and a shovel. However, there is a new line now- (new to me at least). Stay right while approaching the drop, go around the tree, and theres a 3-4' step down onto a sandstone slab that makes for a great tranny. (picture #2) Carry speed and go straight and theres a pretty big step-up that puts you up 6-7'. ebXtreme was nailing this, getting huge air...

Approaching the elbow from above, you can also stay far left, hop up onto the ledge, and get basically a 3-4 drop as well. (picture #1 )

My crew spent about an hour sessioning these drops, till our buddy kevin endo'd and split his fox leg armour open, down to his knee which later required 3 stitches. He finished the ride though. I agree with BobW, hit the drops on the way up, then take "jacksons trail" down, it's killer.

Sorry for the crap pictures, but you get the idea.
Yes that right turn drop is there and as you describe, but a lot of the small stuff in the middle of straights and such on the route are covered up. You can also hit stuff off on the side, but again on the jeep track itself at much any more at least as I saw it. Sounds like the Jackson way down is a good choice though, I may have to do that next time.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
more pictures

DGC said:
Yes that right turn drop is there and as you describe, but a lot of the small stuff in the middle of straights and such on the route are covered up. You can also hit stuff off on the side, but again on the jeep track itself at much any more at least as I saw it. Sounds like the Jackson way down is a good choice though, I may have to do that next time.
More pictures. An overview of the Sovereign Singletrack area, the snow shot was while driving up Geyser Pass Road up in the La Sals at about 9000 foot level, and 3 pictures from Slickrock Trail area, myself getting a little air, a friendly moto passing, and a bunch of others having fun on the SR trail. 10 days, 7 in Moab, 1 day on Snowbird resort, 1 day driving and riding Lower Rock Creek, and the next full day on Mammoth resort, along with a bunch of driving. I would like to pack up and drive for the summer and just ride all over the country and Canada sometime......just dreaming, vacations do that to ya.!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Beautiful shot!

That last shot is one of the best mtb pictures I've ever seen. I enjoyed the rest of your shots and writeup too, especially as I am making my first pilgrimage to moab next week. Though I am more of a stuck-to-the-ground rider.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes and no

Tappoix said:
Clock wins the $50 Turner prize for best pic on a Turner this month.

RP3 in Moab? You likey?
The RP3 was ok for just playing around on slickrock trail, not the choice on Porcupine rim, the DHX ruled there and anywhere it was choppy or rough. Glad ya all liked the pics, they turned out quite good. I have a little story that goes along with that picture of the drop....
As I rolled up to this spot the Moab action shots guy was taking photos here and a few guys on KTM moto's going up and down the same spot. I come to a stop above the drop watching them for a minute or so, and 1 of the moto group say "you know you should move back out of the way so you dont get hit by us going up and down this technical section" and I say, "sure no problem though I am well out of your way, but I am just waiting for you to get out of the way so I can go, but I'll wait", and he is like " the bike route is left and down and around this section", and i go, "yes I know that is a route for anyone really including moto's, but your in my way and I want to go off the drop", now his buddies are close and listening, kind of rolling their eyes and say laughingly here we go again, and he chuckles at my comment and says...
"you think your gonna ride your pedly bicycle down this, ya right-your gonna wad up"... his buddies say to him, "you always get into trouble with your mouth, lets just ride". So apparently this guy does this often enough for his buddies to know. I go "actually many of us on our non gas operated pedly bikes go down this drop, no big deal, but we go a step farther than you, we shoot up the other side and jump up out of this ravine onto the top of the dune"., now he is really sarcastic and says "no I dont think so", so I said, well your in my way so get that fat ton of led out of my way, I'll even start right here about 5-7 feet of a runway, less than you were taking with that orange throttle twister". So I went quite a few times since the photo guy was taking the shots late as I either landed or early still approaching, and the moto guy didnt think I could do it at all, or so he led me to believe. His buddies say to their moto buddy who started all this, "see you always get into trouble not knowing what your talking about"..It was all in fun and light hearted, no anger at all just funnin' with him and him with me. Everyone was really laughing. Anyone who has ridden out on Slickrock Trail enough knows the spot where this is at, kinda fun play section. Anyways a fun story to go with the picture.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.