Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
advice on the seatpost. The Mojo is my first carbon frame - just switched from an Ellsworth Id. What post length does the Mojo require - Or, what is the shortest, lightest carbon, aluminum, or ti post I can use with the Mojo? I'm 180 or so and a basic, XC rider, if that makes a difference. If I can stay in the 145-160 g range, that would be great. I have a nice, light, Extralite that came off my Id, but it will not fit the Mojo.

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Unpredictable
2,206 Posts
Half your luck. Enjoy.

Do you need it to be light? I used a Race Face Next carbon seatpost for a long while (it was great, but only saddles with round rails need apply), but changed to a Joplin and heavier rubber and wheels and shorter stem and

do you really want to waste this magnificent creation on XC?

If your answer is yes, then check out the RF Next and the handlebars too, I still run them:thumbsup:

Oh, the RFN seatpost is quite long. If you are really anal about weight, then it could be cut by? 10cm or so

·
Registered
233 Posts
The EC90 by easton are nice , 400 mm can be cut if its too long although I gave up on weight and the EC90 and went to a Rase Adjustable.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good suggestions - and yes, I typically build

lighter bikes. I'm not sure one is wasting the Mojo frame on a lighter build; however, I understand your point. I suppose I can't be called too anal about weight if I ride a Rohloff Speedhub (which will go on the Mojo SL). I originally purchased the Ellsworth Id frame after some severe lower back issues, as I thought a plusher ride and slightly heavier frame would help with dampening some of the shock to my back. I've never really been a huckster or aggressive all mountain rider. I successfully raced the Id in a number of Xterras, and with the build below, had it down to 25-26 lbs with the Rohloff - unusual for an id, and yes, not too practical for an aggressive all mountain rider.

Regarding my original question:

I guess I need to know how short of a seatpost you can use with the Mojo? How must post should be in the frame? The answer will help with what length I buy and the ultimate weight. Typically, I've tested the limits with having the least amount of post in the frame. I only worry because my previous frames have been aluminum or ti, so I'm not sure what the carbon frame will take. Do carbon manufacturers generally recommend carbon seat posts or is the material irrelevant?

The parts I will move over from my Ellsworth Id are as follows:

1) Stans Crest Rims (with sealant), with DT Revolution spokes and Schwalbe tires
2) Easton Monkeylite SL bars w/ Extralite foam grips
3) Rohloff Speedhub with Titanium shifter (custom from Germany) & Alligator i-Link cables, chain tensioner, XC chain guide, and custom Ti Rohloff cog (Germany as well)
4) Maverick Duc 32 fork with Maverick hub
5) Lightening Carbon Cranks (integrated - w/ ceramic)
6) Candy quad Ti pedals (orange version)
7) Hope Mono-mini brakes
8) Extralite seatpost - Flight SLR saddle (will not fit the Mojo - looking for the new post now)
9) Rotor-Q front chain ring (oval) with a KMC X10-SL chain
10) Chris King headset (won't fit the Ibis obviously - just ordered the Cane Creek 110 IS)
11) I think every bolt on the id was Ti - I will have to check to see which bolts are Ti on the Mojo SL and switch over the bolts that are not Ti.). I even rode Ti suspension bolts on the Id with no issues for 5 years.

I hope I can get the Mojo SL down to 22-23 LBS or so.

Thanks!

SDW

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Nice build.I'm running a New Ultimate carbon seatpost,300mm with 80mm insertion,129 grams.I have a season on this post with no issues.Using carbon paste with Mortop QR & no slipping issues with light torque on the QR.Mojo SL, I'm 150 lbs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, xc71 - that's what I was looking for

I have 25-30 lbs on you, which I may need to consider; however, I've never had any issues with really light parts. I will look into the New Ultimate post. Do you know if Ibis has a suggested post length that should be inside the frame?

SDW

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
swalters said:
I have 25-30 lbs on you, which I may need to consider; however, I've never had any issues with really light parts. I will look into the New Ultimate post. Do you know if Ibis has a suggested post length that should be inside the frame?

SDW
Yes, I asked Hans about this when looking at purchasing this post.He said they use a common formula of 2.50 x the seatpost size, in this case 31.6 x 2.50 = 79mm insertion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have kcnc ti pro lite 350 mm.
I'm 1,85 and use mojo sl large, the seatpost is in the frame 20 mm more than the recommended minimal insert, so about 100 mm.
The seatpost is 157 grams heavy, bought it as used 2008, for my first normal mojo.
NO problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
swalters said:
lighter bikes. I'm not sure one is wasting the Mojo frame on a lighter build; however, I understand your point. I suppose I can't be called too anal about weight if I ride a Rohloff Speedhub (which will go on the Mojo SL). I originally purchased the Ellsworth Id frame after some severe lower back issues, as I thought a plusher ride and slightly heavier frame would help with dampening some of the shock to my back. I've never really been a huckster or aggressive all mountain rider. I successfully raced the Id in a number of Xterras, and with the build below, had it down to 25-26 lbs with the Rohloff - unusual for an id, and yes, not too practical for an aggressive all mountain rider.

Regarding my original question:

I guess I need to know how short of a seatpost you can use with the Mojo? How must post should be in the frame? The answer will help with what length I buy and the ultimate weight. Typically, I've tested the limits with having the least amount of post in the frame. I only worry because my previous frames have been aluminum or ti, so I'm not sure what the carbon frame will take. Do carbon manufacturers generally recommend carbon seat posts or is the material irrelevant?

The parts I will move over from my Ellsworth Id are as follows:

1) Stans Crest Rims (with sealant), with DT Revolution spokes and Schwalbe tires
2) Easton Monkeylite SL bars w/ Extralite foam grips
3) Rohloff Speedhub with Titanium shifter (custom from Germany) & Alligator i-Link cables, chain tensioner, XC chain guide, and custom Ti Rohloff cog (Germany as well)
4) Maverick Duc 32 fork with Maverick hub
5) Lightening Carbon Cranks (integrated - w/ ceramic)
6) Candy quad Ti pedals (orange version)
7) Hope Mono-mini brakes
8) Extralite seatpost - Flight SLR saddle (will not fit the Mojo - looking for the new post now)
9) Rotor-Q front chain ring (oval) with a KMC X10-SL chain
10) Chris King headset (won't fit the Ibis obviously - just ordered the Cane Creek 110 IS)
11) I think every bolt on the id was Ti - I will have to check to see which bolts are Ti on the Mojo SL and switch over the bolts that are not Ti.). I even rode Ti suspension bolts on the Id with no issues for 5 years.

I hope I can get the Mojo SL down to 22-23 LBS or so.

Thanks!

SDW
Steven,

would you be able to put some photos of your Rohloff hub on your Mojo SL? I'm curious to know how you manage to make it fit and how it looks with the cable routing.

Many thanks
Kenny

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep - I'll post some picks in a day or two..

I've seen some other Mojo / Rohloff picks on this board, however. You may run across them with a search.

Best,

SDW

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a call from my LBS last night and they said..

the Rohloff would not fit into the Mojo SL drop outs. I will go over and take a look today to see what's up.

SDW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts