Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some studded tires for Christmas. I didn't put them on until Saturday because the weather really didn't call for them. Great timing. If I didn't have the flu I would be out there today testing them out.

Anyone out there have much experience ridding studded tires? Any brands you recommend?

I got a set of INNOVA tires (great value and they were in stock). They seem to be pretty good and have lots of studs. I think they are carbide but I'm not sure. Only downside is they seem to tear up the road a little.

I rode around on them Saturday, nice long gouges in the road when I brake. Hopefully that will settle down a little once I have ridden them a little more.

I use this bike for my morning 18 kms rides before work. It is used mainly on bike paths. Those paths are mostly ice because the water gets trapped between the "snow" banks on either side and freezes over night. Lots of scary moments last year.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Two years on mount and ground Nokians,

Ride easy for say 50 km so the studs set into the tires well.

Wouldn't ride without them on ice and snow now.

They are pretty good on frozen ground as well.

Roots and shiney concrete they are the shits.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
I have a set of 700c Nokian W240s on my 29er... they are pretty amazing. Last week we had a dump of snow, then a thaw, then a hard freeze which left everything from trails to roads a total ice rink. Literally, unwalkable. I cycled 15 miles to work, including some singletrack, and too pretty much the whole thing at about 75% of full speed.

Fantastic! And they degrade nicely... ie the bike doesn't slip out from under you when you overcook it.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
I'm over on the other side of the country (Alberta) where we've already had a healthy dose of cold and snow.

I went the route of making my own studded tire (I only run one in the front right now) and am well pleased at how well the 3/8 screws I used keep my front tire pointed where I want it to go. I have 104 studs running down each side of the tire with the centre free of studs to provide lower rolling resistance and a smoother ride when I'm on pavement.

I have been running my bike on snow and ice at speeds of 30-35 kmh with total confidence and like the fact the materials to stud my tire only cost $4.00.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Okay, now I added a set of Schwalbe Ice Spikers (26x2.1) for my FS 26er.

They are good but not as good as the Nokians on the 29er.

The only problem with the Nokians is that they don't like to be run at low pressure. They get all squirmy and vague... horrible feeling. The Schwalbes seem to take it a bit better -- higher volume, wider tread.

However on off-camber ice the Nokians just have a bit more bite.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I was running my nokian, at 42 psi just about max inflation pressure, to get the studs to the right height, with UST rim and no tubes.

Yesterday I got a flat, turns out the rubber above the wire bead has failed and bulged enough to lose the rim seal.

Can't remember hitting anything to big???

MEC got the schwalbe on sale, I might try one of them out.

·
I Wanna Be Sedated
764 Posts
How much is MEC selling the Schwalbes for on sale? I've got Nokian Extreme's on my singlespeed but I'd like something with a bit more volume for my FS bike now that it appears that winter has arrived...

jeffscott said:
MEC got the schwalbe on sale, I might try one of them out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great fun with the studded tires

I have been out a bunch of times now with the new studded tires and I love them. Seriously if you do a lot of riding on hard packed ice etc. They are great.

The downside is deep snow, but I don't ride in that too much. Had my bike out on the lake today. I think I freaked out the kids playing hockey. There was lots of traction in a straight line and braking was great. It was kind of fun skidding across the ice. I still have to spend more time on the lake testing the limits of the cornering. That knowledge will come in handy on the frosen over bike trails I ride in the mornings.

They are not magic and they won't cover for stupidity, but they do put a little more fun into winter riding.

·
Singlespeed Mysty
646 Posts
pinkheadedbug said:
I have a set of 700c Nokian W240s on my 29er... they are pretty amazing. Last week we had a dump of snow, then a thaw, then a hard freeze which left everything from trails to roads a total ice rink. Literally, unwalkable. I cycled 15 miles to work, including some singletrack, and too pretty much the whole thing at about 75% of full speed.

Fantastic! And they degrade nicely... ie the bike doesn't slip out from under you when you overcook it.
OHHH! I need tires... where did you get yours Pink? :)

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I am going to sipe my schwable rear, it has less studs than the nokian and just doesn't grab the ice has well on steep climbs.

Maybe I'll move it to the front. Payed $55 for it instead of $95 for the nokian.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Its a very odd feeling riding your bike at a good clip across an ice rink or frozen lake/pond. My brain kept screeming at me "Are you freakin' insane, man! You're gonna fall in less than 3 seconds!" ..but you don't.

Running same Innovas for 2 years now, work great. Deep nonfluffy snow is an issue, makes riding VERY hard both in steering and just plain trying to go forward. Sorta like riding in deep sand the whole time, bleh.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
@Mizzy: got 'em from Peter White in the States

Like Helvetica says, they aren't magic. Here in Toronto parts of the trails have turned into glaciers... the studs won't save your ass on off-camber block ice unfortunately... stuff like this I mean:

It's a conundrum because it's pretty much impossible to WALK across this stuff in cycling shoes.

·
Singlespeed Mysty
646 Posts
ddakin said:
Nokian Hakka 300s are the best studded tires ever made. They might also be the most expensive bike tire ever made ($125/each!).

Here's a story I did for Pinkbike a couple years ago looking at a bunch of different brands:
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/article2340.html

Cheers,
Dan
Thanks Dan, good article... nice pic of someone who landed on their arse.:D

I need tires for a 29er ...

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Ya, it's the Don, kind of. It's the Vale of Avoca that drops down from the west end of Mt Pleasant cemetery towards the Don. The trail ends up at the brickworks. You can do a 5 mile loop up Moore Park ravine, through the cemetery and back down this ravine.

I did the regular Don stuff on Saturday and decided to do something different on Sunday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.