Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Picked up this '97 Trek Y-11 a few days ago to flip/part out but really like it and would like to keep it and enjoy it for a while as I do not have a full-sus bike. It's in mostly rideable condition other than the rear shock, a Stratos Stratashock XC-Pro, which compresses fine for a few strokes then acts like it's locked out and only compresses partially. Preparing to attempt a rebuild myself, no idea where I'll find seals, but anyway...

Wondering if anyone has a shock lying around for one of these, either OEM or preferably something like the XC Pro with a remote lockout. It's 6.75" / 170 mm E2E, 45mm stroke. I know 6.75" shocks are basically unfindable and a 6.5" will work. Just need options that aren't going to cost a ton of money.

I know the URT is problematic at best, the bob is awful, but before I sell this for parts or whatever, I'd love to see how it performs for myself.

Thanks, kj

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably way more than I'd want to spend but worth asking. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll message them.

· Evolutionsverlierer
3,094 Posts
Good luck and I went through something similar with a mid 90’s Noleen shock which was sitting at a local suspension shop for quite some time but they could not find the parts.

I fortunately had an early 2000 Rock Shock Sid shock that was rebuildable but even for that one there was no support from Rock Shocks anymore.

So if you choose to replace the shock with something used or nos I would make sure that you can get parts for it first.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put 6200 miles on a 1997 Inkwell Blue Y-11. Even raced Iceman on it in 2000. Currently have a 1998 Y-33.

Look around on eBay for Vanilla coil over rear shocks if you want to get it riding. Those came stock.
Awesome. Thanks for the post. Did you run the stock shock or no?

I've been looking for either the OEM or a compatible replacement, ideally something like the Statashock with remote lockout or at least ProPedal. So far, no luck.

Sound like you were/are happy with your Y-experience. A good illustration why I want to get this thing on the trail - in the most optimum configuration possible - to decide for myself if it's worth keeping, or selling for parts/wall art...

-kj-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.