Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walked in the store a few days ago to look at a Talon 2, no stock so I walked out with a 2021 Fathom 2 27.5 in Blk/Rosewood.

Any mods needed on this bike, my last bike was a Trek a few years back.

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Walked in the store a few days ago to look at a Talon 2, no stock so I walked out with a 2021 Fathom 2 27.5 in Blk/Rosewood.

Any mods needed on this bike, my last bike was a Trek a few years back.

Thanks
It is a very well liked bike on the forums. Based on what I've read and the spec, most would upgrade the brakes before anything else, but I think you'd want to ride for a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the brakes were fine. Otherwise, the standing advice from many on the forum is upgrade when things need replacing, especially since you've bought a more expensive bike than you were planning to.

I have been reading that some have been having trouble with chainlines (chain dropping off or poor shifting due to bad alignment of the front sprocket) so keep an eye out for that. I'm not sure if that problem is only a 29 problem or also on 27.

I've also read that some folks have been having a bit of noise and or looseness with the Crest fork, which is a new fork made by Giant in house. I'd keep an eye out for that too. Similarly, I'm not sure if that is only a 29 problem or also a potential 27 problem. People generally like the fork performance wise though and love the rest of the bike and build.

I'd say if you steer clear of those problems, you have an awesome trail bike there, substantially more capable than the Talon you were going to buy. Have fun.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Id watch out for chain dropping in the top 2 gears, if you have any hills around and have this problem it’ll become apparent. I couldn’t use the top 2 gears in my 27.5 and LBS couldn’t fix the problem so I sold the bike. Some people are replacing the crank with some effectiveness.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
That is an odd problem. I did drop a chain twice before I installed the new chain ring but never while climbing.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm not sure if you've seen this thread but lots of good info. From my experience, you should replace the chainring w/ an offset one even if yours is working as-is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts