Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden single speed for the last year and to go back to gears and full suspension seems like a crazy thought. Is this bike more of a cross country bike or more of a downhill/freeride?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Actually by '04 standards and the choice of Fox Vanilla and Float for the fork and shock (looking at the Slayer 50 version) I'd say it was more of a AM bike. 125mm of suspension was still a lot in '04 - maybe not downhill a lot, but a lot, and Fox's Vanilla and Float components have IIRC always been targeted at AM/FR.

How's it ride?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike is actually the 2003 model. The guy i got it from last night told me he thought it was 2004 but upon further internet scouring i was able to find out that it was a 2003 and it has 130mm fork travel and 4.75 inches rear travel. The bike rides really nice but since theres 6+ inches of snow and ice on our local trails i cant ride right now other than on my main road. I've mainly ridden rigid single speed lately so this whole full suspension and gears this seems goofy.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Two words:

studded tires

:D

I've actually never had them myself - snow doesn't stick around long enough here to start making ice. But riding in the snow is lots of fun, and does wonders for your balance and ability to manage traction. In the deeper stuff, you're restricted to paths packed by other users, like snowmobile, hiking or snowshoe trails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts