Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my new Atlas Sport. Hopfully it will be here by this weekend.:thumbsup:

I think my current bike knows its days are numbered. Yesterday while riding my chain snapped and I was not able to fix it on the trail. The first time on almost 8 years with this bike that I had a problem I couldn't fix and ride back to the car.

Hiking several miles in biking shoes sucks!
 

·
Cuánto pesa?
Joined
·
7,823 Posts
Tim Mailloux said:
I just ordered my new Atlas Sport. Hopfully it will be here by this weekend.:thumbsup:

I think my current bike knows its days are numbered. Yesterday while riding my chain snapped and I was not able to fix it on the trail. The first time on almost 8 years with this bike that I had a problem I couldn't fix and ride back to the car.

Hiking several miles in biking shoes sucks!
CONGRATULATIONs


FedEx-Zone-Map.











And it's all coming your way
 

·
Semper Fi
Joined
·
204 Posts
I also have an 07 Fuel EX8 so this should be interesting to compare side by side....


The Atlas comes with better gear strapped to it......and was $300 cheaper than my Fuel.
 

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
Joined
·
11,811 Posts
unit74 said:
I also have an 07 Fuel EX8 so this should be interesting to compare side by side....

The Atlas comes with better gear strapped to it......and was $300 cheaper than my Fuel.
the fuel ex8 and atlas are 2 different bikes... the fuel will be more xc oriented while the atlas more fr oriented... also... atlas will pedal better, be more flickable, lighter while fuel plusher i think... 2 diff bikes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just an email from FedX telling me that they have picked up my bike from IBEX. The FedX tracking site says estimated arrival date it 7/30/07 (Monday). I hope they pad there estimates and it gets here sooner. It really shouln't take 5 days to get from GA to MA.
 

·
Thirsty
Joined
·
379 Posts
So Jake, can we expect shots of you and the gang jumping the pool on your Atlas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My ibex is here!

Got home from work today to find my Ibex nice and safe in it's box sitting on my porch.

My first impression was that the bike looks much better in person than it does on the ibex web site. My second reaction was the quality of the frame. I knew it was going to be a good bike based on the reviews in this forum. But the bike is much nicer than I could have imagined. The other bikes I was concidering from my local bike shops were a Jamis Dakar XLT & a Kona Dawg Delux. Maybe I am biased becuase I bought the Ibex, but I feel that this bike is of a higher quality thn both those previuosly mentioned. I would say that it just edges out the Jamis, and is MUCH nicer than the Kona. So far I have only had a chance to ride it around my yard and neighborhood. I live in a very hilly neighborhood and this bike is going to take some getting used to going up the hills. My Old bike (Schwinn Moab 1) was a hardcore XC bike that climbed like a billy goat and had a very stretched out goemetry. It does great going up, but can be kind of sketchy going down. This bike is a complete opposite and will take some time getting used too. But it is soo much more comfortable to ride. After a 10 minute ride my lower back was thanking me!

I should be going for a ride tommorrow after work and a couple more times this week. I will give a detailed report after I have had a few rides.

Also, the shock came with a 2 zip ties. I can only assume these are meant to tie the front brake line to the shock. Is that true? If so where do I use them on the shock
 

·
fuggansonofahowa
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
Tim Mailloux said:
Got home from work today to find my Ibex nice and safe in it's box sitting on my porch.

My first impression was that the bike looks much better in person than it does on the ibex web site. My second reaction was the quality of the frame. I knew it was going to be a good bike based on the reviews in this forum. But the bike is much nicer than I could have imagined.

......................
Very true!!!! The bike is 100x more sexy in person....the website pics do NOTHING for the looks and build of the Atlas. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jake Pay said:
Yupper....

Congratulations and welcome to the Clan


I showed you mine now show me yours :lol::lol::lol:
I will try to get some pictures up in the next couple of days. I am going riding after work tommorrow and will try to get some shots then.

I went for a 30 minute ride around the neighborhood after my last post to get used to going up hills on the Atlas. We have a small trail system that starts at the top of my neighborhood on Proven Mt in Westfield Ma. The trail system eventually hooks up with a larger system. The entrance to these trails from my neighborhood is a very rocky, rutted, downhill fire road that is about 200 yards long before it turns into some very sandy single track that has been trashed by dirt bikes and 4 wheelers. But all I cared about was seeing how the Atlas would do on the rocky DH. OMG was it fun! The bike soaked up eveything and just kept going no matter what got in the way. On my HT I always went down this hill riding the brakes. Not this time, or should I say 5 times. I kept riding down as fast as I could (no brakes), then turning around, riding up and going down again. It was a blast. Kind of childish, but oh so much fun.

the one thing I may need to get adjusted by the LBS are the brakes. I am new to hydrolic brakes. But I have to pull the levers on the brakes almost 75% of the way before the brakes start to slow me down. It feels like if I pulled the levers really hard to stop quick that the levers would hit the handle bars. Maybe the brakes need more fluid. Like I said, I am clueless with these brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jake Pay said:
Yeah, I had same reaction when I opened up the box..Deffinetly eye candy to say the least
IMO the photos you posted of your Atlas in this thread are much nicer than the ones on the Ibex web site.
 

·
Cuánto pesa?
Joined
·
7,823 Posts
Tim Mailloux said:
the one thing I may need to get adjusted by the LBS are the brakes. I am new to hydrolic brakes. But I have to pull the levers on the brakes almost 75% of the way before the brakes start to slow me down. It feels like if I pulled the levers really hard to stop quick that the levers would hit the handle bars. Maybe the brakes need more fluid. Like I said, I am clueless with these brakes.
There should be an Avid owners manual in your paperwork with set-up info :thumbsup:
 

·
Student
Joined
·
820 Posts
I hope you enjoy your new bike.
 

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
Joined
·
11,811 Posts
Jake Pay said:
Try this.............
dude... think you got it wrong... in the pic the one you showed for modulation is actually for reach and the other just holds the lever to the pin...

a suggestion is just to ride it... brake pads take time to break into... if they still dont do it... you can either take of the wheel and pump the master a little (not too much) and put bac the wheel or just rebleed...
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top