Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the plunge and ordered an 05 Pike Team U Turn with PopLoc on closeout from Pricepoint last night. Any of you guys running Pikes on your Coilers? It will probably be a bit before I put it on because of the need for a 20mm hub. Anyone know where I could run into a good one for cheap? Also, I have been using a fork mounted Yakima roof rack (copperhead). I think I am going to run into an issue with the axle hole in the fork being compatible with the quick release clamp on the rack. Anyone have similar issues? Last but not least how do you like your Pikes?

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
dingleberry said:
Took the plunge and ordered an 05 Pike Team U Turn with PopLoc on closeout from Pricepoint last night. Any of you guys running Pikes on your Coilers? It will probably be a bit before I put it on because of the need for a 20mm hub. Anyone know where I could run into a good one for cheap? Also, I have been using a fork mounted Yakima roof rack (copperhead). I think I am going to run into an issue with the axle hole in the fork being compatible with the quick release clamp on the rack. Anyone have similar issues? Last but not least how do you like your Pikes?
Cool. I'll be interested to hear what you think about that setup. A lot of guys are running Pikes on 6 Packs and even some 5 spots and seem to have good success with them. I think the maxle system is also a big hit. You might want to ask over on the Turner forum if you don't get any responses here. I've been leery of Rock Shox for a while due to the various QC issues, but they've seemed to turn the corner under Sram's ownership.

As far as a good / cheap 20mm hub. Pricepoint and others sell the Marzocchi 20mm front hub for $60 that is pretty good. I have several buddies with those and they haven't had any troubles with them. In reality, a front hub is pretty simple and as long as it has good bearings, there's not a lot to go wrong with them.
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14167-220_MARFH5-0-Search--/Marzocchi-Front-Hub-20mm.htm

Regarding mounting your bike to a rack with a 20mm hub. There's a product called a Fork Up made my Hurricane components that they sell for $30. This requires you to pull your front wheel off and slide your axle through the Fork up to hold it in place. From there, it mounts onto a normal rack without a problem. I have a fork up, but it became apparent that it was such a pain in the arse that I ended up just buying a new roof rack (Yakima King Cobra) that didn't require me pulling my front wheel off for every ride. Regardless, it's something you should own because you sometimes still need to pull a wheel off when carpooling with folks that have standard bike racks on their cars.
http://www.hurricanecomponents.com/forkupmain.html

Chers,
EBX

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
I've been riding my Pike Race on my 04 Coiler for the last 9 months and absolutly love it! :D The Pike is very versitile and can be set up for any kind of use. I ride primarily Light Freeride and XXC and the Pike hasn't let me down!

As far as set up here you go

-I weigh 185 and use a FIRM spring
-When I did my last oil change I put in the maximum amount of oil Rock Shox recomends. I belive it was 125cc or 130cc
-FG closed 18 clicks from full open
-Compression is lef full open when trail riding and closed to the 5 o'clock position when doing jumps and drops.

Good luck! I really can't think of any other fork I would rather have for this bike!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Here's right after I threw mine on. It's a Pike SL. I love it so far. The picture shows the current build of my Coiler minus a chainguide.

MRP LRP chainguide
Bontrager Big Earl cranks - 32 tooth and bashguard
XTR rear derailleur
XT cassette
XTR shift cables
Wipperman Connex chain
Hayes HFX Mag HD brakes
24" Halo SAS wheels - rear converted to bolt-on.
2.25" stroke Fox Vanilla R to crank out an extra bit of travel
Rockshox Pike SL

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts