Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the 2005 models were crappy. 2006 looks to be a whole new fork in terms of performance. Damping wise, it is identical to the 06 world cup.

I just ordered one off ebay for $495. I think the guy has more if anyone is interested.

Anyone have some good ride time on these suckers?

I'm running a Pike right now. Does the Ride just feel like a longer stiffer Pike? If so, then that is a good thing for I love my Pike but it doesn't have enough travel for me these days.

Don't even try to tell me the boxxer is crap (you Marzocchi pirates know who you are!!!). That was like soooo 4 years ago. The new ones are bomb proof. I see tons of guys ripping up north shore with those and prefer them over any Marzocchi.

Anyone have some good review info? Any mags review them yet?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Techfreak said:
I'd be interested in hearing about the new Ride, too. C'mon, speak up!
Yeah, not much hype. Kinda went the way of the Travis forks. They are not selling many of those. The new 66 forks took the spotlight from them.

Rumor has it that PUSH will be upgrading the Boxxer forks with an improved shimmed rebound.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
no experience with the 06, but i have an 05 that i love; it'll get even better with the Motion Control damper and adjustability on the 06. i've got the 06 MC guts on order to put into my 05, whenever they actually are in stock/arrive....... AFAIK, the lowers and so on are the same. it's got great tire clearance, and the turning radius is great; i've ridden some pretty tight ups and downs without any problems. dropping the travel down to climb with is awesome! it's made some rides with long climbing portions much nicer overall. i'm set at about a 67 degree head angle with the fork all the way up, and end up with about a 69 when it's dropped. perfect for a bike that sees lots of uphill to go with the downhill.

i love the Pike on my hardtail, and now want the same damping and feel on the big bike fork!

i looked really hard at those same 06 forks on e-bay, but just decided to upgrade the damper on mine instead. cheaper in the long run, as i'd not really be able to sell my 05 for very much at this point, to offset the cost. the Maxle would be nice to have, but i can live without it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I looked at the 05 for a long time and decided on a used 03 Super T. There were so many problems with the 05, I sure hope the 06 is better. If I were to do it again I would get the 06 66 with ETA.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
kanter said:
I looked at the 05 for a long time and decided on a used 03 Super T. There were so many problems with the 05, I sure hope the 06 is better. If I were to do it again I would get the 06 66 with ETA.
yeah, in hindsite......

i like the 05, but really should have just waited for the 06. the 66 forks are very appealing, but after having a z-1 prior to my Pike, i discovered i far prefer the Rock Shox U-Turn travel adjust over Marzocci's ETA function.

i've not had any problems with mine. love the travel adjust, and now just am waiting on the 06 MC guts. probably be another month or so. sigh.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
scrublover said:
no experience with the 06, but i have an 05 that i love; it'll get even better with the Motion Control damper and adjustability on the 06. i've got the 06 MC guts on order to put into my 05, whenever they actually are in stock/arrive....... AFAIK, the lowers and so on are the same. it's got great tire clearance, and the turning radius is great; i've ridden some pretty tight ups and downs without any problems. dropping the travel down to climb with is awesome! it's made some rides with long climbing portions much nicer overall. i'm set at about a 67 degree head angle with the fork all the way up, and end up with about a 69 when it's dropped. perfect for a bike that sees lots of uphill to go with the downhill.

i love the Pike on my hardtail, and now want the same damping and feel on the big bike fork!

i looked really hard at those same 06 forks on e-bay, but just decided to upgrade the damper on mine instead. cheaper in the long run, as i'd not really be able to sell my 05 for very much at this point, to offset the cost. the Maxle would be nice to have, but i can live without it.
Dave, I really liked the way that you had yours setup when I rode Pipeline with you last summer. You definitely had it feeling pretty smooth. :cool:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also have an '05 but I don't have many miles on it yet. Initially though, it has been an awesome fork that matches up great with my Bullit. The '06 should be incredible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.