Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
plays well with cows
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not to ride a fixed gear bike... i was on my way to work this morning and noticed it was somewhat busier going through downtown on my way to work... just to be careful i slowed down a bit and turned over to go down the leftside of the sidewalk... before i knew it i had to dodge back over to to the right back onto the street... i passed a truck that was blocking my view and instantly found myself looking at a fellow bicyclist heading straight towards me... there was nothing i could do but brace for impact... BAM! :madman:

anyways i got a busted finger, a bruised shoulder, and i was a little dazed... the other guy ended up endo'ing on my 35lb slayer and breaking his nose... all he kept saying was 'you were going way too fast!!, IM GONNA SUE, IM GONNA SUE!!!, I CANT AFFORD THIS ****!!".. I looked over at his 80gb nano, $6k fixed gear, and ipod sunglasses, and rolled my eyes to myself... :rolleyes:

I tried to calm him down so he wouldn't freak out anymore than he already was... i was amazed how fast the paramedics got there... it was a very strange scene...

moral of story.. save the fixed gear bikes for the track, get something with brakes, and a bike accident sucks when you hit a fellow bicyclist, but **** does happen...

im just glad i wasnt on my road bike! :eekster:

·
Registered
418 Posts
???????

Dude, first of all your story doesn't make much sense as to what or who
caused the accident.....actually it just doesn't make much sense. And what
difference does it make that he was on a fixie? :skep:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Fixies are great on the street if you have a front brake. Just get some experience on it before entering busy areas or pubs.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
From what you say you were on the wrong side of the street and you suddenly appeared in the wrong lane in the way of oncoming traffic after leaving the sidewalk, and the lesson is not to ride a fixie so as to avoid an idiot like you?

·
plays well with cows
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
From what you say you were on the wrong side of the street and you suddenly appeared in the wrong lane in the way of oncoming traffic after leaving the sidewalk, and the lesson is not to ride a fixie so as to avoid an idiot like you?
NO.... i was avoiding an accident only to have an accident occur... if you had any idea how busy downtown boise is during the morning hours you would take what you have to say back... :thumbsup:

·
plays well with cows
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nucmedjim said:
Dude, first of all your story doesn't make much sense as to what or who
caused the accident.....actually it just doesn't make much sense. And what
difference does it make that he was on a fixie? :skep:
read it slower and pay attention to the periods where i end an sentence... :D

·
organically fed
1,175 Posts
I still don't get how or why you could crash into another biker, but if the guy was riding a fixie with no front brake then he deserved a busted nose for that. Maybe it was the karma fairies that guided your actions and caused the accident.

·
Dented n' Spent
185 Posts
What side of the street where you on? (yes, I read it twice and slow) If all you (with brakes) had time to do was brace for impact, what does the other guy being on a fixie have to do with it? (no, I'm not a fixie fan)

Personally, I don't think speed has anything to do with it as it certainly seems like whoever was going in the wrong direction was at "fault". Sux you both got hurt regardless.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
belowambient said:
NO.... i was avoiding an accident only to have an accident occur... if you had any idea how busy downtown boise is during the morning hours you would take what you have to say back... :thumbsup:
Boise probably does not compare street busy-wise to San Francisco where I live, but I only drove through Boise once and didn't stop to check downtown out. I still don't understand why you were on the sidewalk at all nor why you popping out from behind a truck on the left side of the street into oncoming traffic wasn't your fault. Like others have said, your story isn't the clearest if you think this wasn't your fault and had something to do with the other guy riding a fixie...

·
plays well with cows
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Boise probably does not compare street busy-wise to San Francisco where I live, but I only drove through Boise once and didn't stop to check downtown out. I still don't understand why you were on the sidewalk at all nor why you popping out from behind a truck on the left side of the street into oncoming traffic wasn't your fault. Like others have said, your story isn't the clearest if you think this wasn't your fault and had something to do with the other guy riding a fixie...
I typically ride on the right hand side of the street, but it was completely conjested with trucks unloading their crap... that is why i was on the left... there are no bike lanes running down 8th street DT.... that is why i was on the left, and their was another truck blocking my view of the other cyclist....

i suppose if their was a moral to the story its that brakes are good, trucks are bad... given the circumstances I think we both learned from the situation... i for one was so traumatized i was a little more cautious during my ride to grab some lunch today...

i was more than glad to take the blame but if he had brakes it would have been a lot less dramatic...

·
plays well with cows
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
w00t! said:
I still don't get how or why you could crash into another biker, but if the guy was riding a fixie with no front brake then he deserved a busted nose for that. Maybe it was the karma fairies that guided your actions and caused the accident.
that was my thought as I left the paramedics to tend to the other guy as I rode off... but his bloodstain on my shorts helps me gather up my thoughts and prey for the guy... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
K you were on the left side of the street. That is illegal under any circumstance. Think about it. If you're driving in rush hour, and it is backed up, is it ok to just move your car over into the left lane and pass the congestion? NO! You have to obey the same laws motorists do. Also, I am not sure about the laws in Boise, but where I live, it is also illegal to ride on the sidewalk. Afterall, it is a sidewalk, not a sideride.

Sorry, but I think the other dude it right, it's probably your fault.

P.S. It's also probably illegal to operate a bicycle without a functioning brake....

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
TrickyRCAF said:
Correct me if I am mistaken but it was the other guy who had no brakes?
Right. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't have brakes, just that there might be fault with both parties involved.

·
plays well with cows
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nucmedjim said:
..Oh, I'm sorry you had a good excuse to ride on the WRONG side of the road:skep: .

It was your fault , oh but ok I guess you admitted that already.
thats why it sucks to run into one of your own...

·
Dented n' Spent
185 Posts
pop_martian said:
(snip) just that there might be fault with both parties involved.
Agreed. My first post sounded more "finger pointy" than I intended - sorry about that. We've all ridden on the wrong side of the street at some point or another... well, at least I have. And I'm sure the other guy's gotten away with going brake-less for a long time too w/no problem. Sounds like a healthy dose of bad luck all the way around to go with the questionable riding styles on both sides. Hope you guys heel up well!

·
Killer b.
1,523 Posts
If you ride in congested city traffic without brakes, then hitting another cyclist and smashing your nose on the ground is getting off extremely lightly.

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
So the guy had no brakes, but he very likely would've been able to stop for anything he would have encountered short of a tool riding the wrong way coming off of a sidewalk! I guess we'll never know, but you're still a tool for riding on the sidewalk and the wrong way. I don't give a crap how many trucks were on your side of the road, that doesn't make it right.

You were at fault and no fixie hater quorum here will change that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.