Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted a couple of months ago about moving to East Bay. Now my move is complete and I am here - - North Berkeley Hills near Tilden park entrance. I am looking for riding with someone who knows local trails and I like road trips as well. Riding 29er if it matters. Thanks.

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
morganfletcher said:
There's a weekly night ride that I might or might not know about. PM me for details.

Morgan
Morgan refers to a mythical ride I've only heard about and never seen. That'll change some day...

Also, Baycat, Biker_Scout_Sparky and I frequently ride Joaquin Miller and/or Redwood, with a rare excursion into Chabot, right after work, although usually not together. PM or one of us or post a request if you want to join up for a ride. Biker Scout has this going too: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rusty-Cobwebs-Mountain-Biking-Collective/cal

Berkeley Mike probably lives near you as well, and knows Tilden and Wildcat better than I.

For non-weekday rides further afield, stay tuned to this board. There are many rides, and if the ride is posted it's open to all. Just this weekend you could do a multi-day Tahoe camp and ride extravaganza, or, closer to home is a fun ride that starts at the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge and ends in Larkspur.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
When do you guys...

Plim said:
Also, Baycat, Biker_Scout_Sparky and I frequently ride Joaquin Miller and/or Redwood, with a rare excursion into Chabot, right after work, ...
Do this ride? I may want to join y'all if I can schwing it.

*edit*

Nevermind. I just followed the linky. I might actually be able to schwing that. Maybe not this week. If I drive home directly when I get off with gear on board, I can do this. You folks ride late enough to need lights this time of year? I need to find some good stuff up there. I usually hit Big Trees and the east ridge/west ridge loop with Cindy down, but that is not as much fun as I know is up there somewhere. I don't wanna poach, tho. Just saying I need a better route.

·
getting back into it...
191 Posts
You can start in Wildcat Canyon Park, go over the hill, ride up San Pablo Dam Road and Wildcat Canyon, end up back in Tilden, ride up the ridge and end up on Skyline or something like that... more road until you hit Redwood/Joaquin Miller, then drop down the hill and ride home.... the one time I did that I was cramping so bad in the woods that I thought a mountain lion would get me.

But seriously, Tilden does offer a few good trails, but Redwood + Joaquin Miller is better. If you widen your acceptable distance radius... Briones in the East Bay has a lot of death hills with no sun protection but can still be fun... Mt. Diablo... Morgan Territory in Livermore is great IMO... and around Cupertino/Los Gatos I remember there being some great rides a long time ago. My favorite long day trip is to drive down to Santa Cruz and ride Wilder State Park.

Oh, btw, the trail maps provided for East Bay Regional Parks are great... they have them for at least Wildcat, Tilden, Briones, and Redwood... most of the parks have paper copies at the gates and at least back in the day you could call them and they'd mail you ones, too... online at http://www.ebparks.org/parks

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
Rusty's Weekly Redwood Ride!!

no poaching or lights are neccessary this time of year. A good workout that's fun too.
Here's what the ad says;

Title: Weekly JMP+Redwood workout Ride on Tuesdays/Thursdays

Date: EVERY TUESDAY & Thursday Summer, 2007
Time: 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Repeats: This event repeats every Tuesday and Thursday until Saturday September 15, 2007.
Location: Meet parking lot at Joaquin Miller Ranger Station/Community Center. BE PROMPT
Street: Joaquin Miller Ranger Station/Community Center, 3594 Sanborn Drive
City State Zip: Oakland, CA
Notes: "Better scenery than going to the gym!"

Do you live and/or work in Oakland and want to squeeze a ride in after work? let us know.
There's no need to ride alone.

Weekly cross-country workout ride around the Redwood loop via Joaquin Miller Park.

The ride is ~12 miles long (on average) with plenty of climbing, some single-track & a couple of great downhill sections that will remind you why you originally got into mountain biking in the first place.

The average human mortal can complete the ride in about an hour & a half but that time doesn't include rest breaks and regroups.

We try to keep stops to a minimum but we'll be kind to anyone unfamiliar with the route and regroup at rest stops along the way.

"Slow climbers welcome"--This is a great way to improve.

RSVP if you plan to attend, I'll send you a route map and keep you updated of any changes in the plan.

The goal will be to do the 8 mile Redwood loop in an hour or less. Then, with whatever energy we have left, bomb back down to the cars on one of the downhill trails in Joaquin Miller park.

Check the link below for the exact meet location.
(NOTE: both Google maps and Mapquest will give inaccurate directions to Joaquin Miller Community Center,3594 Sanborn Drive, if you need directions USE THE LINK BELOW.)

Daylight will be in short supply so BE PROMPT.

RSVP for best results.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...22.184271&spn=0.001331,0.002596&t=h&z=19&om=1

Join the Rusty-Cobwebs-Mountain-Biking-Collective Yahoo group!
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rusty-Cobwebs-Mountain-Biking-Collective/
______

This is a great jump off point for weekend ride plans too.

pimpbot said:
Do this ride? I may want to join y'all if I can schwing it.

*edit*

Nevermind. I just followed the linky. I might actually be able to schwing that. Maybe not this week. If I drive home directly when I get off with gear on board, I can do this. You folks ride late enough to need lights this time of year? I need to find some good stuff up there. I usually hit Big Trees and the east ridge/west ridge loop with Cindy down, but that is not as much fun as I know is up there somewhere. I don't wanna poach, tho. Just saying I need a better route.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.