Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K, so i've been bikeless for the past year or two, and i'm actually fairly set atm on getting a Gary Fisher Zebrano.

It's looking like either that, or a Specialized Hardrock.

****, I feel like a motard, you guys must get millions of these threads a day, but pls, hear me out.

I just need something that I can point in a certain direction and go with. I really doubt i'll do much REAL offroading, but because I come from a dirtbiking background, i'd prefer something that has some, if not extremely limited, offroading capabilities.

Would also prefer oil shocks, since i'm familiar with the maintenance procedures involved with those (already know how to keep them clean and everything from my dirtbiking days).

You know back when you were a kid, and all you had was some crap generic BMX bike? Those days when you would take the thing ****ing everywhere, off of jumps, to the store, down some trails, to the park, to school, to your friend's house, just EVERYWHERE, and at the end of the day, your legs would be throbbing, but the bike would be ready and able to take anything else you could throw at it.

That's what i'd like to return to. Something that'll do whatever I want it to. Like I said, point it a direction, and make it back with a working bike.

Am I looking at the right bikes?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Zebrano? Wow, I had to look that up. That's more of a "comfort" bike, and the geometry and components are ill-suited for much "offroading". If you're looking for a bike to toss around and have fun with -- like we used to thrash our old BMX bikes -- you're going to find the Zebrano a little too upright and slow. It's basically a comfortable bike to ride around town, or to the market.

From the Fisher lineup, at the same price-point as the Zebrano, I'd reccomend the Wahoo. Much more capable bike, and if you have a motocross history, you're going to appreciate it's features when you hit the trail. If you want to save a few bucks, you could also go with the Advance if you're just looking for a durable all-arounder and have no intention of "serious" trail riding.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My wife has a GF Wahoo... VERY capable entry level mt bike.
And my buddy rides a Specialized Hard Rock...

I don't think you can go wrong with those choices, but ride em both, and pick the one you feel more comfortable with...

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
my first real bike when I stepped up from the department store crap was a Hardrock when I was about 12. I beat the crap out of it, rode it like you're talking about as well as on lots of trails and jumps, and never had a problem. It took everything I could throw at it and prob still would if it hadn't gotten stolen. This was a rigid from about '91 or '92, and I bet they are more solid now than they were then. No personal experience with the Gary Fishers, but I know they are quality rides.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.