Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really excited to build up my 575 and join the tribe. I'm building this bike for AM riding. Below is the planned build. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Frame 07/09 Yeti 575 Carbon w/Fox DHX 5.0 Air
Fork Fox Float F140 RLC or RS Revelation Race
Crankset Shimano XT
Wheels Stealth/Flows/DT Swiss Comps
Brakes Magura Marta’s
Rotors Magura Would I be okay with Marta's if I run a 180mm rotor in front?
Handle Bars Answer Protaper Carbon
Stem FSA 115 XC
Headset Sunline V1 AM
Shifters Shimano XT
Seatpost I'm thinking about something carbon
Saddle Something WTB
Front Deraileur Shimano XT
Rear Deraileur Shimano XTR
Cassette Shimano XT
Tires Kenda Excavators 2.35

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
poontank said:
I'm really excited to build up my 575 and join the tribe. I'm building this bike for AM riding. Below is the planned build. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Frame 07/09 Yeti 575 Carbon w/Fox DHX 5.0 Air
Never owned a dhx but most people here prefer the rp23
Fork Fox Float F140 RLC or RS Revelation Race
I think the fox is plusher overall but if you hate brake dive motion control is the way to go.
Crankset Shimano XT
Wheels Stealth/Flows/DT Swiss Comps
How heavy are you? I think Arches would be fine unless you plan on going big on this bike
Brakes Magura Marta's
Rotors Magura Would I be okay with Marta's if I run a 180mm rotor in front?
Handle Bars Answer Protaper Carbon
I guess you've seen Jenson's price on these
Stem FSA 115 XC
Headset Sunline V1 AM
Holy mother of god. If you have used one of these with sucess then by all means but man it gave me nothing but fits.
Shifters Shimano XT
Seatpost I'm thinking about something carbon
Saddle Something WTB
Front Deraileur Shimano XT
Rear Deraileur Shimano XTR
Shadow right?
Cassette Shimano XT
Tires Kenda Excavators 2.35
Trying to figure out if you are trying to save money or spend money here. You could save a bit with SLX cranks, cheaper brakes, XT rear derailleur, non-carbon seatpost. Or...

Go the other way; King headset, thomson stem, gravity dropper post.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of these components I already have, but I listed everything just so I can get feedback on them and avoid what could be a huge mistake. I don't really need to save money, but don't feel I need to overspend. I'd like to keep things strong enough, but still reasonably light.

The reason I'm thinking flows is I like to run a 2.35 tire and I'm not sure how well the Arches will work for that.

Yep. I saw Jenson's price the handle bar. That's actually where I got the frame and will probably try the DHX for awhile before making a switch (if I am unhappy with the DHX that is).

The sunline I picked up on chainlove for about $25. How did it give you problems? But let me say this. I'm not spending over $100 on a headset no matter what name it has on it :D

The XTR RD is a long cage, which I believe is the shadow.

What's a gravity dropper post? Is that a brand or a type of seat post?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
If you go to a lot of review sites, the Revelations get better marks than the Fox. My own story was going from F100's to SID's (the 32mm version) and being impressed that they handled better and were more controlled in the rebound stroke.

Choose a nice strong 4-bolt stem, like the Thomson X4

I'd seriously think twice about the DHX air. Not many 575 riders chose to leave them on, and it is no longer offered as an option - according to the Yeti website

I've got a 2.4 Nobby nic on ZTR 355's. Works well, so either rim you choose will be ok fitting-wise.

The gravity dropper post is a (hydraulically activated -I think) variable height seatpost used for those people who like to ride long distances XC style, then do crazy stuff that you need the seat low for. Its good, due to the fact you can preset your XC height and it will always return to it.......the Crankbrothers Joplin is another I think.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Yes, try to trade the DHX for an RP23.
Headset- go with Cane Creek S3 or S4.
Fork- Go with a 150mm Rev with a 20mm TA...
Seatpost- try something telescoping
Otherwise, great sounding build..

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
poontank said:
Some of these components I already have, but I listed everything just so I can get feedback on them and avoid what could be a huge mistake. I don't really need to save money, but don't feel I need to overspend. I'd like to keep things strong enough, but still reasonably light.

The reason I'm thinking flows is I like to run a 2.35 tire and I'm not sure how well the Arches will work for that.
Well i'm not the person to ask that, I run 2.35 on 17mm rims ghetto tubeless with no problems but i am in the minority on that one. Flows are a fine choice to widen the tread and get a stiffer feeling from the sidewall.

Yep. I saw Jenson's price the handle bar. That's actually where I got the frame and will probably try the DHX for awhile before making a switch (if I am unhappy with the DHX that is).

The sunline I picked up on chainlove for about $25. How did it give you problems? But let me say this. I'm not spending over $100 on a headset no matter what name it has on it :D
The fork crown race on the V1 is not a a conventional cone fit but a interference fit like your headset cups, yes the fork actually press fits into the frame. Can be a biatch if everything is not perfect. If the steerer tube is slightly out of spec the interference fit will actually expand the sealed headset bearing enough to seize it and it takes a BIG hammer to get the fork on the frame and a bigger hammer to get it off. I also vote for the Cane creek s3, cheap, uses a compression ring on top, and is decently sealed.

The XTR RD is a long cage, which I believe is the shadow.

What's a gravity dropper post? Is that a brand or a type of seat post?
Remote adjustable seatposts are all the rage right now (along with hammershidt), just throwing it out there since you said carbon. The older frames are notorious for slipping seatpost and you have to really crank the seatclamp down a no no on carbon. I've always prefered 1-piece mast head designs like thomson or fsa, there is a one item 20% off holiday code right now 27436
remember to post pics when she is done

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Another thought...on a 355 rim I have clearance with a 2.25 Nobby Nic at the rear, but only just. If you choose a wider rim, then your 2.35 may rub even without you putting sideways load on it.

The rear can be stiffened by going a 10mm thru bolt skewer (like hadley/dt swiss).

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alex, so you run a 2.4 in the front and a 2.25 on the rear? Does anyone have any experience running a 2.35 on the 09 version (especially with Kenda's which tend to be generous when it comes to width)? I do love the feel of a stiffer side wall though. I currently run non UST tires tubeless. Would runner UST tires enhance the stiffness or would it feel the same?

I heard the same thing about the DHX, but it seems like it is the DH crowd that complains the most about that shock. I think, I'll try it and see how it goes, but I have a RP23 on my Titus and I'm very happy with the performance so I can imagine it would do well.

Thanks for the feedback on the headset. You explained it very well. I think I'll send the V1 back based on what you are telling me.

As far as seatpost I think I'll try the FSA. The hydraulic seatpost is a bit pricey right now. Maybe down the road, but I appreciate the suggestion. But if I do, I'll probably look at the Crank Brothers Joplin. Which reminds me if anyone has any suggestions for CB components, I'd be open to that as I can get a really good deal on those parts. In fact, I am leaning toward Mallets for pedals right now.

Sounds like another vote for the RS revelation. Is that fork have adjustable travel. I think I'd like to start at 140mm of travel as the most I've previously experience has been 100mm so having the ability to go bigger after adjusting would be nice.

Any comments on the brakes?

Thanks again guys and I'll definitely post pictures.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
UST tyres feel better under hard cornering etc. They would also lessen the sideways movement in the rear........helping the tyre to stop rubbing.

·
Registered
556 Posts
poontank said:
Alex, so you run a 2.4 in the front and a 2.25 on the rear? Does anyone have any experience running a 2.35 on the 09 version (especially with Kenda's which tend to be generous when it comes to width)? I do love the feel of a stiffer side wall though. I currently run non UST tires tubeless. Would runner UST tires enhance the stiffness or would it feel the same?
I have an 09 575 and have previously run a set of 2.35 Excavators Front and Rear. No clearance problems. It's a good tire with outstanding grip. The biggest issue I had with the Excavators was the rolling resistance.

·
Awesomist™
2,950 Posts
poontank said:
I run 2.4 Front and 2.25 Rear Schwalbe Fat Albert's on mine, the 2.4 Fat Albert is too big for the rear of my '08 575, same would be on the '09 and '10 models. I have run 2.35 Kenda Nevegals both front and rear on my bike with good success. For wheels I have the DT Swiss EX 1750 wheelset, which I believe is a bit wider rim (27.8mm I think) and the Neve's worked just fine. Can't comment on your UST questions.

poontank said:
I heard the same thing about the DHX, but it seems like it is the DH crowd that complains the most about that shock. I think, I'll try it and see how it goes, but I have a RP23 on my Titus and I'm very happy with the performance so I can imagine it would do well.
I had a DHX air on my '06 575, swapped it for an RP23 and could not have been happier. My '08 575 came with an RP23 and I've left it alone. To be fair, I could be considered part of the "DH crowd", but I just didn't like the feel of that shock at all, for climbing or descending. I felt I had to put WAY too much air in it to not blow through the travel just sitting on it, and then the rebound was always difficult to dial in because of how much air pressure was in there. My $.02.

·
Banned
486 Posts
Dude, that is awesome. Every time I see one of those pre-08 frames, I wish I had never sold my 07 to go with the new "swoopy" design. Welcome to the tribe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts