Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished building a new Scythe and I'm pretty stoked to talk to anyone about this bike that will listen to me. It just snowed here so I don't have any real ride time on the bike but the ride up my icy street was awesome. I have a feeling I will be doing a road-trip very soon to someplace warmer.

Thanks to Adam at Rbikes for getting me a sweet deal on the frame, and the guys at Go-Ride for listening to me waffle and stress over various parts.

Attachments

·
Hard funkin´ Kraut
897 Posts
Welcome :thumbsup:

Very nice Scythe. I like the look of it with the black and little white bits.
Hope you can enjoy it as soon as possible.

Greetings from Cologne, Germany
NoStyle

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
blackness beauty!!... Personally I am not a big fan of scythe's looks, but I am really digging yours. That has to be the best looking Scythe ever. Love the stealthy black.

Congrats and enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, the bike turned out better than I had hoped. I'm at work now but I'll throw some more pictures up when I get home from work. I apologize now for my lack of skill with a camera.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
pray4snoww said:
As promised, a couple more pics.
thanks for that!

post up your build list. most components are identifiable, but the breakdown is always cool to see.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Calhoun said:
thanks for that!

post up your build list. most components are identifiable, but the breakdown is always cool to see.
Sure thing.

Frame: Med ano black w/ Fox dhx 5.0
Fork: 2010 Boxxer Race
Wheels: Azonic Outlaws
Brakes: 2010 Avid Codes 185 rotors
Drivetrain: All Shimano SLX (except the chain which is XT)
Chainguide: e13 Heim2 (I have the bashguard as well I just haven't put it on yet)
Front tire: 2.5 Minion 3c
Rear tire: 2.35 High Roller
Handlebar: Black ano Deity Dirty 30
Stem: Deity Fantom DM (currently set at 48mm)
Grips: ODI Rogue lock-ons
Pedals: Deity Decoy 2.0
Saddle: WTB Rocket V

The two things I still question are the the rotor size (185 vs 203) and the Boxxer Race. My Lyrik has a better damper than my Boxxer does, but I got such a good deal on it I could drop in an Avalanche cartridge and still have paid less than a 2011 r2c2.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
thanks for posting the build spec.

are you using a maxle, or just a thru-axle?

I was deadset on getting an Orange until I saw this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Calhoun said:
thanks for posting the build spec.

are you using a maxle, or just a thru-axle?

I was deadset on getting an Orange until I saw this.
For the moment I am just using the Maxle that came with the frame. I believe I read somewhere that Banshee was making a Ti thru-axle but it won't be for sale for a few months. I planned on picking one of those up as soon as it is available.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thats a killer looking bike. Let us know how it rides when you get a chance to ride it. I'm trying to decide between a Scythe and a Knolly Delirium

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Joe76LJC said:
Thats a killer looking bike. Let us know how it rides when you get a chance to ride it. I'm trying to decide between a Scythe and a Knolly Delirium
Thanks Joe. The weather here in SLC Utah is still pretty bad for biking although the skiing right now is excellent.:thumbsup:

A week ago a friend and I couldn't take the anticipation anymore and we rode a lower elevation 5 minute shuttle. The trail was short, sandy, wet, and steep with only a couple of natural rollers and no man-made stunts(yet). I loved every second of it. I had the bike set up in the 7" DH mode and it felt really stable and balanced.

I didn't really get much chance to pedal the bike, but I can tell I will need to buy a longer seatpost or a seat dropper in the future. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and the seatpost that came with the bike is too short for efficient pedaling. Honestly I can't complain as I didn't even know they would give me a seatpost, and as I only plan on doing minimal pedaling I don't know that I'll even bother to buy a new one.

Sadly air-time was limited and I wasn't able to really open it up and go as fast as I would like, because of the greasy conditions, so I can't give you a proper review. If the weather cooperates, I'll be heading down to St George in a couple weeks and I will give you a better review and maybe some action shots.

I've heard great things about the Knolly and I looked at that bike as well, but in the end I didn't think would be worth the extra 1k over the Scythe.

·
Registered
111 Posts
pray4snoww said:
Thanks Joe. The weather here in SLC Utah is still pretty bad for biking although the skiing right now is excellent.:thumbsup:

A week ago a friend and I couldn't take the anticipation anymore and we rode a lower elevation 5 minute shuttle. The trail was short, sandy, wet, and steep with only a couple of natural rollers and no man-made stunts(yet). I loved every second of it. I had the bike set up in the 7" DH mode and it felt really stable and balanced.

I didn't really get much chance to pedal the bike, but I can tell I will need to buy a longer seatpost or a seat dropper in the future. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and the seatpost that came with the bike is too short for efficient pedaling. Honestly I can't complain as I didn't even know they would give me a seatpost, and as I only plan on doing minimal pedaling I don't know that I'll even bother to buy a new one.

Sadly air-time was limited and I wasn't able to really open it up and go as fast as I would like, because of the greasy conditions, so I can't give you a proper review. If the weather cooperates, I'll be heading down to St George in a couple weeks and I will give you a better review and maybe some action shots.

I've heard great things about the Knolly and I looked at that bike as well, but in the end I didn't think would be worth the extra 1k over the Scythe.
Yeah, just the knolly frame alone is a thousand dollars more. They both seem like reliable bikes that will last a long time. I currently have a Giant Reign SX and its a nice riding bike, but it definitley has its limitations. Its not very comfortable to me at high speed jumps, so let us know how it jumps and handles the steep stuff. Hope the weather clears up for ya. I live in Washington and we've had a lot of snow lately so I haven't been able to ride either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts