Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,082 Posts
Loam? Like in the coastal rainforests and PNW?

· Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loam? Like in the coastal rainforests and PNW?
Are the coastal rainforets and PNW actually loamy right now? It seems like it's been so dry everywhere in the west coast drought, that even BC sounds dry. But I'd love to be wrong and head to WA. (I think canada is still out since the border is closed)

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,082 Posts
Are the coastal rainforets and PNW actually loamy right now? It seems like it's been so dry everywhere in the west coast drought, that even BC sounds dry. But I'd love to be wrong and head to WA. (I think canada is still out since the border is closed)
Opens on the 9th. IME, the closer you get to the coast, the more consistent the conditions are, so Olympic Forest is likely to be good, gets a lot of moisture from mist and humidity. The worst place I've been for it is the Capital Forest. That was just dry and dusty up high. Lower it was ok in the more jungle stuff, but that was not my favorite riding in the state. The loam also tends to hold moisture pretty well. For sure it can be dry and dusty, but it's too hard to find the "perfect" loam, it's either raining, dry, or sunny, but neither for very long. Keep it on the coastal side of the Cascades, don't venture over the crest.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,082 Posts
Is loam always moist? Not in my experience.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Definitely not, but some locations IME tend to stay more moist than others, due to climate. These are places humid enough to get morning dew.

Reactions: WHALENARD

· Registered
1,454 Posts
I rode in oak ridge, Oregon a few summers ago, 96f at the valley floor but the forest up high was cool and damp. Place was absolutely glorious if you like old growth.

· 190lbs of climber
1,554 Posts
Aakkkkshuuullly... geologist here. Loam is loam, regardless of its moisture content. A loam is a soil with roughly 7-27% clay and a fairly equal percent of silt and sand making up most of the soil.

Here's a close up of UC's soils. They're basically all loam, sandy loam, clay loam, etc.

Soil 113 covers the most area in the square I delineated. It doesn't have loam in its name, but it's a loam. It does have the slope in the name, which is why the trails are the way they are there. Here are its stats.

But really, I know what you were asking. But now you know!

If anyone wants to play around in the USDA web soil survey, it's a bit tricky but there are tons of info there. On the Area of Interest (AOI) tab, zoom around then use the little red square AOI tool to draw a rectangle. It's best to keep it small. Once you've done that, you can move over to the soil map and soil data explorer tabs to learn about the area you just drew a square over.

Yes, this is all very nerdy, but if I someday have enough money to buy land for a small house, large garage, and personal trail system, the first thing I will do is check out the soils before making an offer. Dream away!

· Registered
356 Posts
Aakkkkshuuullly... geologist here. Loam is loam, regardless of its moisture content
Ha! I was wondering if someone that understands soils was going to chime in :D

Thanks for the link to the soil survey. I was actually talking to someone about that the other day and didn't know off the top of my head where they were found these days. The last time I'd looked at it it was poring over giant paper maps in the library!

· RIDDLELDDIR
1,669 Posts
Yes, this is all very nerdy, but if I someday have enough money to buy land for a small house, large garage, and personal trail system, the first thing I will do is check out the soils before making an offer. Dream away!
..And ample water to wet down the track, I suppose?

5,889 Posts
I rode the McKenzie River Trail a week or so ago, and despite the greater Bend area being really dry it was nice and moist and tacky. Not throw rooster tails like you're in a Specialized commercial moist, but pleasant to ride.

· Registered
14,396 Posts
When I was through Oakridge 5 weeks back it was dryer in the valley than I have ever seen it, ever. Such a bummer.

I chase conditions all summer and so far all my wknd camp & rides have been green and dust free. Got a bit of rain last Friday night and dew most wknds. With the temps this wknd, should be easy to find the same.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

· 190lbs of climber
1,554 Posts
The last time I'd looked at it it was poring over giant paper maps in the library!
Yep, in my undergrad years at the CPSLO Earth and Soil Science Dept. "way back" in 2007-2010, we still had those giant books of paper maps and descriptions. I think the website was already around then, but it loads a whole lot faster now.

· Registered
74 Posts
Looks like a week of dry weather in the San Juan Mtns of SW Colorado! After several weeks of drenching rains this next week looks prime for high altitude excursions. Wildflowers still out and the mushrooms are abundant throughout the forest. Get out of the bay area, stop for a ride in Tahoe, head over to Park City, Ut for a few days, then SW Colorado for the goods.. = one of my favorite road trips!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.