Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a very cool place for a dent. This is on a CrossMaxx SL rim brake wheel. I pinch flated today and found this. Im for sure it wasnt there before since I cleaned everything this past week and would have seen it.

The wheel needs to be trued, its out just a hair, but not enough to rub my brakes which are set pretty tight. Also, when braking, I do feel the dent and you can feel it w/ your fingers as your rub over the spot.

Is this something I can put a pair of pliers on and pull out, or is this wheel done. (Which I REALLY hope not!)

Take a look.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Al is pretty brittle - which means it won't stand being bent much before it breaks. BUT having said that, if you're careful, I think you can salvage the wheel. To do it right, you'll need a small ball peen hammer and an anvil - do not try to bend it with pliers cause you'll localize the stress and likely break the aluminum. Lay the outside of the wheel on the anvil with the bend curving upward. Lightly tap the bend back straignt with the hammer using the anvil to support the rest of the wheel. This will gently move the Al back into place without localizing the bending stress.

Don't bang hard - you want to do it in very small steps - don't use a big hammer which will put too much force into each hit - don't substitute the anvil for a kitchen cabinet or the concrete sidewalk - the cabinet won't provide adequate backing support and the rough concrete will damage the finish on the outside of the wheel. A heavy metal welder's table would work.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think my way will be easier - however, one thing I thought about though - be careful to not smash the rim bead or it won't grab the tire. Maybe a good reason to try the wrench method first?

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Hopefully this question will get a response since this thread is about a year old. I tore a sidewall on my Stans Arch 29 Disc rim a couple days ago. I had to put a tube in the tire to make it home and while replacing the tire I noticed a dent almost identical to the one above. Normally I wouldn't care about something so subtle(it is about half as dented as the one pictured above) but I've been running this tires tubeless. (I have gone almost an entire year without any flats of any kind!) I'd *REALLY* like to be able to continue tubeless but I'm concerned this slightly dented rim will not hold the bead as well. (I have a Maxxis Ignitor on order that I plan on running tubeless. This will be the Non-UST version)

In case its relevant I am #155 about #165 with gear/camelbak. Ride exclusively cross country, small jumps here and there but no drops, ramps.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Get yourself a ball peen hammer, lay the rim dented side down on an anvil (or other smooth supportive metal surface) and gently tap the dent back out. OR Morningstar tools (http://www.morningstartools.com/) makes a little $12 expander gizmo called Rim 'Spanders designed specifically for fixing dents like that (for some reason, it's not shown on the website). Either way, you should be able to fix it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Find a few pieces of typical softwood 2X4. One lays under the rim dent, another on the other side of the wheel (underneath) and the third (a short block turned on end) over the dent. With a helper holding the wheel flat on the support blocks, place the short block over the dent and whack it with a hammer. It won't take much so go easy the first whack or two. Be sure the support block is directly under the dent. The result is no damage to the bead hook and no mars inside or out. Don't worry about making it totally cosmetically perfect. In this case perfect is back to proper function not necessarily perfect brand new out of the box looks. The least beating the better for strength. And after you remount the tire you probably can't find the dent anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.