Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I skipped out of work early and drove 90 mins to a new trail. It was not the prettiest day, the greatest trail or the best ground conditions (it is also a horse trail so pretty cut up and swampy in places) BUT I was so happy just to be out there.

I hit some lines wrong but also nailed a few which made me smile. I tried to brake less and pedal more and succeeded until my fitness failed me. BUT I was still so happy to be out there.

Missed a turn and added 5 miles to my ride. Happy to go the extra distance. My dog wasn't...

The whole thing was enhanced by riding my rigid SS. The happiest, funnest bike I know.

While some want the lightest, squishiest, 30speediest bike on the most perfect trails while eating energy bars and drinking protein shakes others make the most of what we have around us (and still hit the trails for 15+ hours a week!)

PASSION!
 

·
since 4/10/2009
Joined
·
32,546 Posts
powpig2002 said:
why is it taboo to ride bikes in wet conditons but all right to ride horses.
You can spray off a horse with a pressurized jet of water to knock the mud off and it's not going to cost you a bunch of money later replacing bearings.

Most horse people don't care about the trail conditions.
 

·
Content from my avatar
Joined
·
4,355 Posts
I had a great ride today too. Granted, it was raining and windy and a road ride and I only got 5 miles in, but it was also my first ride in three months, after knee surgery last December. Before today I'd worried that I'd kinda gotten out of riding and moved on to other things to take up my time. That was not the case, AT ALL. :D

I has also drunk the eggbeaters aid. I've usually used SPDs, but those were trashed and I decided to try eggebeaters because they're cheaper and lighter than my M520s. I can't get over how much I like the eggbeaters! :thumbsup:
 

·
The Road Warrior
Joined
·
622 Posts
keene1 said:
Today I skipped out of work early and drove 90 mins to a new trail. It was not the prettiest day, the greatest trail or the best ground conditions (it is also a horse trail so pretty cut up and swampy in places) BUT I was so happy just to be out there.

I hit some lines wrong but also nailed a few which made me smile. I tried to brake less and pedal more and succeeded until my fitness failed me. BUT I was still so happy to be out there.

Missed a turn and added 5 miles to my ride. Happy to go the extra distance. My dog wasn't...

The whole thing was enhanced by riding my rigid SS. The happiest, funnest bike I know.

While some want the lightest, squishiest, 30speediest bike on the most perfect trails while eating energy bars and drinking protein shakes others make the most of what we have around us (and still hit the trails for 15+ hours a week!)

PASSION!
I was with you until it turned into a fixie thing. Your post sucks
 

·
Unpredictable
Joined
·
2,211 Posts
powpig2002 said:
why is it taboo to ride bikes in wet conditons but all right to ride horses.
That's why you would ride a rigid singleschpeed izsn't it. No weather can affect it. No bearings, no chainlube, no worries, just riding. Seems that way with my SS riding buddies. All for the fun of getting out fast and often. (Not saying they destroy wet trails by the way)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
I ride single speed right now while I am in graduate school. just doing it to save money. Didn't realize how much I would save as compared to a bike with all the transmission on it. in fact i just had to put my 29er GF away in the shed until I graduate because it has so many problems and I need to save money. Just happy to ride. SS does = simple.
 

·
is buachail foighneach me
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
Ridnparadise said:
That's why you would ride a rigid singleschpeed izsn't it. No weather can affect it. No bearings, no chainlube, no worries, just riding. Seems that way with my SS riding buddies. All for the fun of getting out fast and often. (Not saying they destroy wet trails by the way)
???? Singlespeeds have just as many bearings as most multispeed bikes, and do require chainlube(though a little less).......
 

·
saddlemeat
Joined
·
3,873 Posts
Ridnparadise said:
That's why you would ride a rigid singleschpeed izsn't it. No weather can affect it. No bearings, no chainlube, no worries, just riding. Seems that way with my SS riding buddies. All for the fun of getting out fast and often. (Not saying they destroy wet trails by the way)
Lube chain and adjust tire pressure.

Remember that when you are getting your two year old latest greatest fork/shock rebuilt and installing new pivots. I bought a house with the money I saved.

I don't ride on wet trails because around here it's not particularly kind to ss's either, so it's a natural political choice as well. I get to feel smug and self righteous and that is better than feeling dirty and ashamed of myself and going through all kinds of dishonest rationalizing and head in sanding. Plus there's that house... win/win for me!

;) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
bsieb said:
Lube chain and adjust tire pressure.

Remember that when you are getting your two year old latest greatest fork/shock rebuilt and installing new pivots. I bought a house with the money I saved.

I don't ride on wet trails because around here it's not particularly kind to ss's either, so it's a natural political choice as well. I get to feel smug and self righteous and that is better than feeling dirty and ashamed of myself and going through all kinds of dishonest rationalizing and head in sanding. Plus there's that house... win/win for me!

;) :D
Singlespeeding = home ownership

Funny I didn't read that one in the FAQ
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top