Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No pictures tonight, tommorow I promise.

The frame weight is 1253gr for a medium (including seat clamp(48gr...), drop out and water bottle bolt (aluminium nice).)

It came 100gr overweight a bit disappointing. The frame seems very sturdy and nicely done.

Fully built it was a bit under 19lbs on a fisherman scale. Magura Marta rear IS mount caliper is a VERY TIGHT fit. The caliper actually touch the frame mount over the top bolt (hard to explain) but it works.

A 2 x 9 square taper setup with an old next works very well. (a lot of chainstay and chainring clearance even with a 107mm bb). Direct mount derailleur are the **** too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Have you riden it yet? Had my 50rsl for nearly 2 weeks and I'm blown away by it. Very comfortable and yet stiff at the same time (a bonus given it's large size - much less noodly than the Hammer it's succeeded) I don't know the weight of mine - swapped the standard kit for what I had on teh hammer - nothing spectaculalry light but when riding it does feel light, especailly the rear end - it really wants to stay up there when you launch it (launch as in jey launch - not rampage style jumping!)

Another bonus of all that carbon swoopiness is teh fact that it doesn't trap mud as easily, all rides since I got it have been wet and muddy and it cleans up a treat.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Megaclocker said:
Magura Marta rear IS mount caliper is a VERY TIGHT fit. The caliper actually touch the frame mount over the top bolt (hard to explain) but it works.
Yep, I noticed that too, the IS tabs are quite large on the RSL frames. I had to hit the tabs with a file in a couple of spots and it required filing a bit of the ridge of the caliper leg. Wouldn't be a problem with any PM mount brake and adapter, but the Marta caliper is a snug fit around the IS tabs. They might be a bit smaller now if you got them to sit flat without needing a file.

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correction, IS rear magura does not fit. I needed to grind the IS tab and caliper.

Pics :)

A bit more heavy then expected 19lbs 4oz. (need to remove some spacer under the stem too)

(Sorry for the crappy picture)

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have some problem with lazy piston on my magura marta. (the left piston on both brakes(rider view))

My sid need a servicing, it got some little bushing play :( and the positive air chamber leak in the negative after a while... (fork lubed correctly).

I was think about puting a rad an black Sid 09 on it. But my front caliper is IS, does that mean that I will not be able to use anything under a 7inch front disk ?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rockyuphill said:
Unless you swap the IS for a PM caliper you're stuck with that rotor size limit. The new SID or the Magura Durin SL (almost the same weight as your current SID) would be a good match.
I will wait for an interesting closeout on one of those fork. Which one do you like best ? The Durin SL or a SID (assuming you have tried one). Weight doesn't matter that much.

I just went riding with the bike a little for the first time with it. Feels awesome. Some creaking comming from the bb area. (I strongly suspect the nino style modded 42T sugino chainring which doesn't fit tight at all on the spider)

Aluminium bottom braket bolt are a waste. Tightened one at like 3/4 of the normal square taper torque and it broke. (Almost had an heart attack because i tought it was stuck in my eriksen bb). It brike just under the head and was easy to take out.

An aluminum bottle cage bolt came stripped in the frame, weird. I have been able to slowly take it out and ''restore'' the thread with a regular bolt after by slowly screwing/unscrewing it......

Those marta brakes are awesome (but rub...). Better then my shimano XT

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
I ran a SID Team 100mm from my ETSX on the Vertex and then fit a Magura Durin Race 100mm. The SID was a perfect race mix, not super plush but you can stand and hammer out of saddle without any real bobbing. The Magura Durin Race is so plush and supple that it feels like the front wheel must not be on the ground, it is that good at taking trail chatter out of the bars. It is very stiff for steering and braking, but for out of the saddle hammering you'd want a lockout. Apparently the Durin SL has a damper setup more like the SID Team so it isn't as plush, but you can likely live without the lockout.

I have Marta SL's (the older style, not the Marta Mag SL's) and I agree on the feel, with the performance pads they modulate very well. But they do need some TLC, like unsticking the pistons (like XTR's).

·
Registered
464 Posts
marmoset said:
Have you riden it yet? Had my 50rsl for nearly 2 weeks and I'm blown away by it. Very comfortable and yet stiff at the same time (a bonus given it's large size - much less noodly than the Hammer it's succeeded) I don't know the weight of mine - swapped the standard kit for what I had on teh hammer - nothing spectaculalry light but when riding it does feel light, especailly the rear end - it really wants to stay up there when you launch it (launch as in jey launch - not rampage style jumping!)

Another bonus of all that carbon swoopiness is teh fact that it doesn't trap mud as easily, all rides since I got it have been wet and muddy and it cleans up a treat.

That's a very nice looking bike there. I see that you, and a few others, are using Magura brakes - how do you find the Louise, I presume? I'm waiting on a set to replace the Juicy 7s on my SXC70.

Megaclocker - That looks very, very cool. Has me thinking about a change of my HT frame! But only thinking. :eekster:

I met a guy last week who had Martas (pre-09) on his Spec. and I had to have a go - he's the only person I've ever met around here running them. They felt very similar to my XTs (M775) on my HT.
I just did some work yesterday on my XTs and decided to clean around the pistons on my own as one was a little lazy. I think in muddy/wet conditions sticking pistons is bound to happen if they're not kept super-clean.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've used Magura's for a while now and haven;t had to touch the Louise's I've got (Fr and 07 BAT) for anything other than a bleed after shortening the hoses etc. They're nothing if not dependable - fit and forget at it's best IMHO.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BAD BAD NEWS.

After a couple of hours, I found where the creak come from... It comes from my next lp. The chainring insert are loose and creak. Do you know if this is covered under warranty ? (Do they give... well another 2009 next :p )

Updated picture with the Raceface turbine instead. (look nicer in black +20grams)...

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
I had a chance to do some comparison touchy feely between a Vertex 70RSL and a Vertex Team RSL today. Holy moly, :crazy: :shocked: the Team frame sounds about as thick as a carbon handlebar when you tap on the frame "tubes" or the seat and chainstays, the Vertex 70RSL frame sounds almost as solid as the Element or SXC seat stays. It's no wonder that the Team frame feels a bit more resonant in ride quality than the Vertex 70RSL.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried mine a lot this week. It feels similar to my Hammer lol.

It ride like steel. I seems has stiff. (I am not a big guy 145lbs). It ride very smoothly.
I am a bit dissapointed about the SID, 70mm of travel is not that much. (70 + 10mm of bottom bumper).

My rear magura marta squeal also. (Organic EBC pad.) I will try metallic.

I am still debating if I should put some Conti Race King 2.2 instead of my trusted Karma for a 24h race on june 21st ? Rockyup ?
The 24h course is kind of technical with lots of climbing (Its an XC race loop). If it rains it will be muddy... CLearance worries me...

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
The Marta Performance pads are really quiet compared to the Endurance pads. The other thing that may be causing the squeal is very small variations in having the caliper parallel to the rotor, Marta rotors are thick so there's less clearance. You can also hit the back edge (the leading edge of the pad at the rotor) of the brake pad with a file to put a bit of a 45deg bevel on it.

This bike works really well with a 100mm fork, the frame is designed around a 90mm fork, which you can configure the new SID Team to be if you can cut the 20mm Rock Shox spacer in half.

If the mud isn't thick and gooey with a lot of clay, the Race King works well on technical surfaces even if wet or muddy. The tread does pack up with sticky mud and clearance would be a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rockyuphill said:
The Marta Performance pads are really quiet compared to the Endurance pads. The other thing that may be causing the squeal is very small variations in having the caliper parallel to the rotor, Marta rotors are thick so there's less clearance. You can also hit the back edge (the leading edge of the pad at the rotor) of the brake pad with a file to put a bit of a 45deg bevel on it.

This bike works really well with a 100mm fork, the frame is designed around a 90mm fork, which you can configure the new SID Team to be if you can cut the 20mm Rock Shox spacer in half.

If the mud isn't thick and gooey with a lot of clay, the Race King works well on technical surfaces even if wet or muddy. The tread does pack up with sticky mud and clearance would be a problem.
ewww, that looks way too close... :( (THOSE TIRE SEEMS HUGE, I have like 1cm easy of clearance with karma's...)

I would like something with a bit mre cushion then my karma. (I need a tire that will fit fine on ZTR355, no unrimming please)

Are mountain kings 2.2 supersonic smaller then race king ? (Race king 2.2 front, Mountain King 2.2 rear ?)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts