Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
hispanic mechanic
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday, while giving massage at a 24 hour race, my wife surprised me with my present for our upcoming 7th anniversary- an original, Grimace-colored Pugsley!
I took it out for the first ride yesterday, after working about 18 hours over the previous day... arms and legs were beat to begin with, so probably not the best way to start things off.
This is my first geared bike in 6 years, first geared mountain bike in 9, so it's going to take a while to get used to shifting on climbs- I found that I was more tired climbing in the saddle in a smaller gear than out of the saddle in a taller one. Maybe I ought to try single speed on it...
The steering is going to take a bit to get used to. I'm sure in part it was the minimal sweep EA-70 compared to my Jones H-bar, and the worn-out upper body, but this thing turns weirdly. That may have to do with the full bottle of True-Goo that the previous owner insisted on having in each tube. Tubeless experimentation coming soon!
Hopefully the Larry will bring the round profile front that I'm more used to. And definitely going to get a Titec J-bar for it.
Another thing- After years of riding Brooks saddles on all my bikes, the Selle Italia Flite Gel thingie really sucked for me. Gotta get a Brooks on there, ASAFP.
All in all, this bike is stupid amounts of fun. I was definitely a lot slower yesterday, but I can't blame it all on the bike. Gonna knock a couple of pounds off of the 35 it has with ditching the sealant-filled tubes, put my H-bar on for a bit, and try it when I'm not quite so beat, and I'll post up a better ride experience later. With pics, promise!

Los

·
hispanic mechanic
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Working on it right now...had to take a break from all the mosquitoes coming into the garage. 26 months of no significant rainfall in San Antonio, and they go crazy with a little bit of moisture...
My wife scored the greatest deal ever. Belonged to an old customer of mine from the bike shop who had this as a loaner- he still has a blinged out 16" for himself!
18" 1st gen. Pugsley, XT flappers/cRapidRise, Ritchey WCS cranks, FSA Platinum BB, BB-7s, and 3 wheelsets- all with Surly SS Disc/ DT Onyx rear, 32h.
2 have LM offset rims, rotors and cassettes.
1 set of Endomorphs.
1 set of 3.0 Gazzolodis. I used to use these when I raced DH for one event- the Tour of Canyonlands DH on Moab Rim trail. I forgot how burly these things are!
1 has 29" Alex TD-17s (not my choice, but that's what he wanted.)
I am the luckiest boy in the world!
Right now, I'm starting to experiment with making the Gazzis and Endos tubeless (Gorilla tape, removable-core Presta tube sections) putting my H-Bar off of the Wily on, and looking for linear pull levers to run single speed. If I can't find some in my box o' junk, I'll just install new cables to work with the Jones bar.
I'll post my results of the tubeless experiment later, along with some pics.

Los

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
saddle comfort

Switching from a brooks to a "synthetic" saddle ? Try something from WTB. I'm currently ridding an older Rocket...love it! Last group ride I went on Had nearly 90% WTB...must be a reason.

·
hispanic mechanic
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ward said:
Switching from a brooks to a "synthetic" saddle ? Try something from WTB. I'm currently ridding an older Rocket...love it! Last group ride I went on Had nearly 90% WTB...must be a reason.
Although I appreciate the advice, "my butt belongs to Brooks" (overheard in the state pen.)

Los

·
bored ex-shop rat
375 Posts
ward said:
Last group ride I went on Had nearly 90% WTB...must be a reason.
reason 1: price
reason 2: WTB are very often used as OEM saddles on stock bikes, many people don't try
what they don't know
reason 3: many maybe discouraged to try a Brooks because of storys they heard about
saddle care, break in how painfull it is, this is BS my B17 was more comfy out of the box
then all the other stuff I tried
reason 4: they simply never used one, how could they know?
reason 5: a Brooks is not that hip like some synthetic ones and is more heavy, OK a Brooks looks antiquated but who cares

my butt prefers a Brooks too!

·
A Surly Maverick
2,698 Posts
Brooks sure owns alot of butt round here ! :eekster:

Oh, and GREAT DEAL on the Pug BTW :thumbsup:

·
hispanic mechanic
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on tubeless:
Gazzis seated no problem, but the PO obviously used a screwdriver at some point to remove them and so are not sealing at the chewed up bead.
The Endos seated using a strap around the tire to assist the seating, and the latex mold builder that I painted the inside of the casing with sealed up well, but they're leaking at the rim seam.
FWIW, I'm using the "Wadesters Sealant" recipe- 1 pt. mold builder, 1 pt. Slime automotive, 1 pt. ethyl glycol, 2 pt. H2O. Gorilla tape on the rim may need to be replaced by a 24" tube split down the middle to seal the seam, although I am trying to use sealant to close up the gaps.
I'll post up a new thread when/if I get this all worked out.

Los

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Brooks talk

Easy fellas- wasn't trashin' Brooks' - I LOVE em' too! Rode one (actually two) from the mid '70's through the 80's. Can just barely remember all the bikes I had em' mounted on. Got the WTB in a build kit for way less than half price. Point is my fanny was surpprised by the comfort of the WTB. Last January I bought a KM to build up as a "monster cross" and a Ti brooks was at the top of the list! But, my july trip to the Oregon Dunes changed the plan. Now all "bike fund" $$ are goin' towards another FB. If your goin' on long tours/treks,for sure get a Brooks...but I sure wouldn't let the absence of one stop ME from ridin' !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts