Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(x-post)

Having managed to finally finish a race I decided my luck had to be turning and on a whim I decided to do the Cane Creek Cup series race at Hobby Park in Winston Salem, NC last weekend. Despite the fact that I have only done 3 of the races in this series (not including this past weekend?s race) I am currently sitting in 6th place in the series rankings (4th place if you only count the experts and exclude the pros).

I was heading up to visit my neice-let in Chapel Hill and figured that as long as I was in the area I might as well throw in some good intensity work.

rt & the Lillypad

Since I was not planning on doing this race, and the point of my visit was to see family, I did exactly nothing to prepare. No pre-race tapering, no diet changes, no carbo loading, no preride. Nada! All I did was show up. Once again I was surprised and flattered when my race-mates came up to me and said it was good to see me back. It?s always nice to be missed. :)

I?d never ridden at Hobby Park before so I knew that my first lap would be a learning experience, but I had heard that the course was, like Dauset, fast & flat with lots of tight, twisting singletrack. Not at all my forte, but this was a race for fun & training. I decided I would concentrate on keeping my lap times consistent and my smooth.

We lined up to start in a grassy field and we were off. 3 laps, about 7 miles each. The course took us immediately up a short but super-STEEP (like 12%+ steep) paved climb and then into the woods. From there it was zigging & zagging singletrack in, out, and around the trees. A few drops, some small log crossings, out onto the field briefly (ahh, somplace to grab my bottle and drink), back into the woods, more zigging and zagging? oh! Watch that drop?.squeeeeeeze through those 2 rocks, a rocky technical drop and finally out onto the field again. "HEY?! Where the h#ll am I suppose to be going?!" I stop and look around panicked then I see the orange arrow painted on the grass and I am off again. A fast spin across the grass and through the transition to start my 2nd lap.

Ugh! This hill is steep! Ow. Many thanks to my waterbottle hander-outer, LouAnne. She and I had never met before and I am thoroughly impressed that she was able to pick me out and be right there to hand my my bottle on each lap. Thanks girl!! :) More zigging & zagging. THUNK! Rats! Smashed my pedal on a rock and my arm on a tree. Why is it that trees always manage to find the one spot on your body that already has a bruise? Zig. Zag. Down the short steep hill at 25 mph. Smooth pedal strokes. Out onto the grassy field again (but this time I know where I?m going). Through the transition and back out for my last lap.

I came through the finish in 2 hrs even. Not exactly a blistering pace for 19 miles but I was able to keep my lap times fairly consistent and only lost about 2 minutes from my first to my 3rd lap. Not too bad considering in the last race I lost about 6 minutes between my first and last lap. So where was I in the grand scheme of things? No where close to the front, that?s for sure! I had entered the woods in 4th and that?s where I remained for the duration of the race. Granted this put me on the podium and in the money but it?s tough to get too excited about 4th when there were only 5 girls racing and 1 of them DNF?ed!! :D

3rd & 4th place celebrate

Nevertheless, this was a training race for me and I felt better than I did in my previous race. Now I?ve got 2.5 weeks to train before my next race and more than a month before my last race. Earlier this seaon I had qualified for NORBA Nationals at Mammoth at the end of Sept but given the anemia battle I have decided to stay local and concentrate on getting healthy and looking forward to next year.

Congrats to Z for his podium finish

look what Z got!

and to Grant for surviving the 3 signs of the apocalypse (mechanicals, yellow jacket swarms - 7 stings - ow!, and man-eating sand pits) and finishing 12th.

rt

ps: my sponsors are awesome! check 'em out at:
Team 180's
Outback Bikes
SourceBURN Energy Drink
Hayes Brakes

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
446 Posts
Great report. I saw you starting with the other 5 but left shortly after. How long did it take to get your awards? They took over 3 hours for ours.
FUN race.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for-friggin'-ever!!

nc-rider said:
Great report. I saw you starting with the other 5 but left shortly after. How long did it take to get your awards? They took over 3 hours for ours.
FUN race.
thanks!

yeah, it took them FOREVER to get our awards sorted out and they still messed stuff up. really guys, this isn't rocket science!! i think we waited about 2hrs. they had the same problem at the race in Spartanburg earlier this year. we waited 3 hrs for awards there. make sure you check out the race results posted on paul's schwinn website. they put me in the wrong age category.

cheers!
rt

·
Registered
455 Posts
Still a cool report *rt*. The 'one step at a time' cliche is applicable here too... :p

Funny... I see your niece has already learned to scoff at the women beach volleyball players. :D :D :D

*rt* said:

rt & the Lillypad

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehe!

®andyA said:
Still a cool report *rt*. The 'one step at a time' cliche is applicable here too... :p

Funny... I see your niece has already learned to scoff at the women beach volleyball players. :D :D :D
yep, she didn't like the beach volleyball but she <i>LOVED</i> the boxing! she was absolutely mesmerized by it.

rt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts