Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a little video from a visit to Granite Basin this past weekend. Good friends, fun trails, and lots o beer and hackysack make for great time! Could be last time for the group camp spot as it's due to be closed soon. We've been going there every year for quite a while now... it will be missed!

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
BIGHORN LEW said:
very, very nice! how long is that ride? and how do i find the trailhead? i got a kick ot of that tandem action :p don't think i could ever be the passenger on there :eekster:
One the tandem were Prescott locals Billy (Befoot) and Christi. They did quite well out there but I'm with you on the stoker... it'd be tough to just hang on and let someone else steer your ship!

I'm not sure if there are directions for the Granite Basin area in the visitor's sticky. It's just north of Prescott and trailheads can be found off of Williamson Valley road, Iron Springs road, or off the road to the little lake in the middle of the map.

Trails have not much that is techy except for areas of Mint Wash (345) and are mostly smooth granite-based loveliness with loads of swoopy turns and plenty of water berms to loft. You can loop together all sorts of routes and just have a blast. We stayed in the group camp spot which has to be reserved, but the regular camp ground is really nice too.

Attachments

·
my dog's Frisbee launcher
513 Posts
DurtGurl said:
but I'm with you on the stoker... it'd be tough to just hang on and let someone else steer your ship!
yeah...me too! that girl is nuts :D Kathleen thanks for the video... very cool :thumbsup: and thanks to everyone for a very fun time.
sorry we had to bug out. my Mom's car broke down in Blythe and we had to go and rescue her, bummer, it would have been fun to hang out and hack the sack with you guys.

did you guys enjoy the little added loop?
I didn't know the group camp is to be closed soon
not to worry, I know some other group camps wolf creek comes to mind.
and lots of good riding on that side of town as well :thumbsup:

here a little clip that Sonia (sp?) shot of us.

Cheers, Billy and Christi

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
cool vid, DG!

i've never been to granite basin; sure looks like a place i could ride.
techy sections? that's when my zapatos would hit the dirt! :D

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
kaboose - you'd love Granite Basin. It's an MTB amusement park with all the jumps and fun singletrack and those "techy" sections are relatively short. You can easily put together a 20-mile ride without too much overlap and you are almost always close enough to a bailout option if you need it most of the time (with the Mint Wash exception).

You have to go ride there! :thumbsup:

The only trail that's a chore to ride is 352 starting at Mint Wash - lot's of climbing! The other way is a ripping fun descent though!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,373 Posts
Not a whole lot of tech, but Trail 40 is a blast, and it does have a some tech, a few drops/rolls, and it's almost all downhill. It's one of the best trails around here in terms of fun-factor. When ridden from the top of 37, it's about a 1000' foot drop over several miles.

Attachments

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jayem said:
Not a whole lot of tech, but Trail 40 is a blast, and it does have a some tech, a few drops/rolls, and it's almost all downhill. It's one of the best trails around here in terms of fun-factor. When ridden from the top of 37, it's about a 1000' foot drop over several miles.
Well shoot! We were considering doing 40 but then someone said it was nothing but a fireroad strait-a-way drop. Next time...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,373 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Well shoot! We were considering doing 40 but then someone said it was nothing but a fireroad strait-a-way drop. Next time...
It's not a fireroad, there's no double-track on it at all. It's a blast. It's kind of like a mini-six-shooter, with a lower "check-damn" portion. Nowhere near as burly, but pretty much all downhill from the top of 37 and by far one of our best descents (ok, there's like 50 feet trail section that is a climb). Not all loose-crap like trail 307 (spruce mtn), lots steeper than 345 or 347 (which are both very flat trails in terms of elevation), but not so steep you melt your rotors or anything. Yes, you have to come back sometime and try it. It's not the best trail in the world or anything, but knowing how you like to ride you'd probably find it to be your favorite trail in GB easy.

The problem is getting up it (ok, it's not a "problem" but I like loops), which is not a problem for me, because I know how to link to the OHV area from trail 349, and then I follow the northern-most OHV road all the way to where it connects with trail 37, then it's a short climb to the apex of 37 and then downhill. I don't care much for climbing 40, although it can be done. The views on the OHV road are pretty cool and it makes the ride into a "loop", in fact there are lots of loops there that can be added together, such as 349, OHV area, and 40, then 345 and 347, 308 and 345, 341 and 347, and so on. That makes it easy to put in some mega-milege like you were saying without too much redundancy.

You probably talked to someone who rides trails 305 and 396 a lot. :D

This is the top of 37, before it starts going DOWN to trail 40, which continues DOWN.
(picture taken about 1.5hrs ago).
(oops, not the picture I wanted, whatever, the 2nd picture is lower on the trail).

Attachments

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,373 Posts
Yeah, the trails were ultra-crowded. I saw a ripped-apart bunny rabbit on 40. :D

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,373 Posts
Confirmed.

(for the love of god, please lighten up, yes I was poking fun at the previous thread)

More swooping singletrack from 40/37;

Attachments

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,373 Posts
More of swoopy-trail 40 from a few minutes ago;

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.