Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
right behind ya
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no sure who's in pick but grabbed from winstons site (he took pics) - actaully when i first saw it assumed was new addition to chads ride (i'm wrong)

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Those are nice...My wife says "uh unh":sad: She's the one who bought the other pink stuff, believe it or not.

I've been thinking though...pink saddle...:D The Orange Peel bike shop here in Steamboat has two...stay tuned.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
pink saddle???

chad1433 said:
Those are nice...My wife says "uh unh":sad: She's the one who bought the other pink stuff, believe it or not.

I've been thinking though...pink saddle...:D The Orange Peel bike shop here in Steamboat has two...stay tuned.
mmmm... now that is an idea...

for now i am looking for leopard skin type of pattern saddle... will go better with pumpkin colour...

·
The Dude Abides
212 Posts
Hmmm....I don't know about those. The pink looks a bit too purpley in this photo. I don't know if pewter is the best match, but again, could be the photo. Probably looks sweet in person.

It seems the I.9 wheels are the bling of choice for Ellsworth riders this year. I'm interested to hear some reviews down the trail. I'm sure Whafe (and his lady friend) will be glad to share.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
The focus on the I9s seems to be the coloration patterns. In the real world, however, it's important to know if they are what they're supposed to be.

So, are they? Engagement is good? Certainly, we cannot know about longevity, though they look well thought out and designed. Is the spoke design superior or just as effective? And, most importantly, does anyone need that much color on thier bike?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've looked at a couple of pairs in person. They are sharp! The quality and workmanship are very high. The tolerances of interfaces seem very tight. The quality certainly "appears" to be on par with CK.

The engagement is great, even better than CK. I believe it engages every 3 degrees so that makes it 120.

The straight-pull spoke design is superior to the bent-elbow spokes--less breakages and makes stiffer wheels. The spokes themselves are a work of art. Very nicely finished and each one is like a little aluminum rod and has the company name printed on it.

The wheelsets are light too. I think the AM set is a bit lighter than the Crossmax SL.

If these wheels are as durable as they look they are going to give CK a serious run for the money.

·
The Dude Abides
212 Posts
ahimanic said:
The straight-pull spoke design is superior to the bent-elbow spokes--less breakages and makes stiffer wheels..
Stiffer in transferring rotational power sure, but what about lateral stiffness? I can't imagine these aluminum spokes will be as stiff as a steel spoke. It would have to be like 3 times the diameter, and am I correct in saying these are roughly 2 times?

I am anxious to see them at interbike this fall. Missed them last year.

·
Registered
727 Posts
UP Dude said:
Stiffer in transferring rotational power sure, but what about lateral stiffness? I can't imagine these aluminum spokes will be as stiff as a steel spoke. It would have to be like 3 times the diameter, and am I correct in saying these are roughly 2 times?

I am anxious to see them at interbike this fall. Missed them last year.
It is laterally stiff as well. Without the elbow in the spoke there is less lateral flex in the spoke. The spoke is pretty thick but not sure if it's 3X as thick as steel. I believe there are 2 versions--regular and lighter weight. I don't know which one the above pictures are showing. Aluminum can be stiffer and lighter than steel depending on the design (i.e. alum vs steel frame tubes) The large flange hub also lend itself to more rigidity (shorter spokes). You gotta see these wheels in person, I think you'll be impressed.

·
The Dude Abides
212 Posts
ahimanic said:
It is laterally stiff as well. Without the elbow in the spoke there is less lateral flex in the spoke. The spoke is pretty thick but not sure if it's 3X as thick as steel. I believe there are 2 versions--regular and lighter weight. I don't know which one the above pictures are showing. Aluminum can be stiffer and lighter than steel depending on the design (i.e. alum vs steel frame tubes) The large flange hub also lend itself to more rigidity (shorter spokes). You gotta see these wheels in person, I think you'll be impressed.
I know I'll be impressed. They are amazing looking wheels. I just place a high value on wheel stiffness. I ride Spinergys, and I didn't know what I was missing until I tried them. It was comprable to when I made the move to a 20mm axle. The PBO fiber that makes up their spokes is much, much stiffer than steel. I think I would have a hard time giving that up, even to go back to a steel spoked wheel. One thing I do with they had was the engagement of the I9s. 3 degrees is pretty darn fast. I'm looking forward to viewing and playing with a set this fall in Vegas.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I live in the town where I-9's are built, so while I'm not on them (yet), I know a lot of people who are. I also know the guys who build them fairly well, albeit not "friends" status. So, here's my semi-informed opinions:
1) Engagement is very quick- almost CK quick.
2) Very very stiff.
3) The colors are really more of a "because we can" thing. Engineering definitely came first in their design, again, you'd have to know the guys behind it. As an example, for those familiar with the SS world, the same guy behind these wheels manufactured the first Kick-As* Cogs for Endless- a product that has succeeded and been copied because of it's superior design. Great guys.

High quality product, my only question remains if it's worth the cash over getting a sweet set of wheels hand built at my LBS for at least a couple of hundred less- but a lot of people I know say the answer is "yes."
Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.