Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided I no longer wanted to use this frame as the basis for one of my "loaner" bikes, especially given how I'm running out of nice vintage bikes (cracked my Manitou a couple years ago, cracked my Alpinestars on sunday) and since its only a 19" and with a rather short headtube, and I normally ride a 20-21", that it needed some special attention for it to fit me. So... 150mm length stem with rise as well as a riser bar with 60mm of rise and an UPSWEEP to the bars as well. Its actually how rocky's were spec'ed back then anyways, with enormous extensions and such. But still... does look a bit odd to youngins not used to how bikes looked 15 years ago.

So, from how it was previously, changed back to my 1 month usage but now rather vintage Ritchey Megabite Hardrive 2.1 kevlar tires I'd been saving for oh, 13 years now for just such an project. Took off the syncros Ti flat bar and Craig BarAcuda barends for the Kalloy Uno stem and Club Roost Hardcore XL riser bar. Replaced the skinny Onza Porkypaw grips with a set of Magura Corkies. Replaced a Viscount Ti rail saddle for one of the Velo Ti rail saddles I've grown to love (they're on 5 bikes now). Installed the lightest of the NOS Hite-Rite's I scored this spring (got 4 in the space of 3 months). Replaced one of my russian Ti BB's and a set of Sugino impel cranks with a Syncros Ti BB and a pair of Topline MTN cranks. Went from Vuelta 20/32/42 rings and a girvin rockring to Kooka 24/36 rings and a Kooka Crankcase bashguard. Pedals are currently 858s which aren't really period, but I'm kinda short on SPDs which work with the SH-55 multi-release cleats (wellgo's don't at all) at the moment. Oh and I went with one of my Kooka seatposts too in place of the Syncros I used to run simply because its a lot lighter, plus this has so much colour on it already, what's a bit more red gonna hurt. All together its 24.9 Ibs as pictured.

·
information leafblower
244 Posts
on some level i'm sure that should look all wrong, but it actually looks so right.

i love the frame details and thankfully next to the frame it's easy to overlook the anodized components!

·
10,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh excuse the closeups with the disgusting green wildgripper lite s tires... that's what I replaced when I put on the ritcheys.

·
Suddenly feeling my age..
165 Posts
That stem's so not cool (even if it does suit the purpose). ;)

What's with the 'semi-snowflake' rear wheel lacing? The only reason i'd do the 'half job' would be if I had limited spoke length options... and I have (in the past). :D

·
10,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
21.5" actual TT, about 22.5 effective horizontal, not unusual for an '88 19" frame, especially a thunderbolt which was custom ordered to start with. I'm like the 3rd owner of the frame and well, I'm never selling it so I had to adjust it to fit accordingly.

As to the syncros stem question, I have a syncros 140mm x ZERO degree rise, which would have needed the old nickle trick to get the riser bar in, wasn't as long as I needed, and without the rise, would have put the bar lower than I wanted (even with the riser I used). The frame is of course, a 1" steerer and well, that limits the choices even more when you want a LIGHT quill stem with a long extension and positive rise. Syncros stems were actually NOT that light. I've actually got like 4 or 5 syncros cattleprod stems in a bin here which I'll likely never use again and even less likely ever bother to sell for the slim chance I use them on something.

As to the half-twist laced rear wheel, it was an experiment on how twisted I could go (note that its FOUR twists, most such lacings people do use only two) and it had nothing to do with wrong length spokes. The wheel had been laced 3X for over a month when I decided to change the driveside to 2x and quad twisted.

I often do half-twisted wheels just to make people ask stupid questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.