Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...rigid is AWESOME. I went from a 100mm fork to a steel rigid fork and I have to say, I was pretty surprised at how nicely it rode. I was expecting to get my teeth rattled out, as the trails I ride are pretty lousy with rocks. I definitely had a few OTBs because the rigid fork wasn't covering for me when my weight distribution was forward like the suspension fork did, but the over all ride quality was actually fairly buttery as long as I was actively managing the front end. I think that's partially because I moved from alloy to carbon bars and swapped to a pair of gloves with a bit more padding in the palms. I really enjoyed the directness of the steering and the connected trail feel. I noticed that my descending suffered a bit speed wise, but it was more rewarding to clean the really technical stuff. I'm so glad I made the swap!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I agree with you on the ss part. But can't and won't do rigid. I have a 5" travel fork on mine. But congrats for doing it and loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been riding SS for a little while on and off, but rigid was a first for today. SS and rigid on 29ers were meant for each other I think.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I wouldn't call rigid awesome but it's alright. I haven't been riding my SS much because I have more fun on my FS, so I went and sold the front squish off of my SS. Downhill isn't very enjoyable but tech stuff doesn't feel any easier or harder to me on the rigid SS. I have a big fat 2.5" tire on the front to hopefully soak up some of the bumps. It's probably a placebo effect but I dropped two teeth on the cog when going from squish to rigid. Climbing feels more fluid with the rigid fork.

·
Teen Wolf
891 Posts
i have several singlespeeds and none of them have suspension. its a great way to ride and totally doable once you learn how to pick the best line

·
Registered
280 Posts
Was riding ridgid in the 80's into the 90's because that is all we had. After a few full squish bikes I went back to hardtails and then tried ridgid for a while but couldn't handle the hazards of not being able to see because of blurred vision on the rocky downhills. I like to run downhills as fast as possible and cant do it with the stiffy. I also ride for day long rides and the front suspension helps with fatique. But I would love to have a ridgid set up if I lived somewhere without really rocky trails. I do have a ridgid fork for sale brand new Specialized Chisel.

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
I am sure I am slower on a lot of down hill trails on my rigid, but funnily enough I am faster on a lot as well. They tend to be the ones that are tight and twisty and fast. Luckily even though we have a lot of obstacles here, I don't have to deal with constant embedded large rocks. That is fun for a while but hard to keep up for ages!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I definitely was not faster on the technical stuff, but I had more fun actually concentrating on my riding and not having a fork ride the techy stuff for me. Descending was more confident and faster when it was smooth and twisty though.

·
Teen Wolf
891 Posts
I definitely was not faster on the technical stuff, but I had more fun actually concentrating on my riding and not having a fork ride the techy stuff for me. Descending was more confident and faster when it was smooth and twisty though.
you'll get faster, for sure. you'll learn to ride smarter as well which will translate to better riding on any bike you get on

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I do miss the rigid SS... I LOVE how they climb, and I love how predictable they are. I NEVER went OTB on a rigid bike. Every time I have it's been because I didn't compensate for the suspension compressing and lowering the front of the bike. lol

But my shoulders and back couldn't do it anymore.

it is true that it will make you a faster, better rider.

·
greedy
482 Posts
Up or Down. Smooth or Rocky. Young or Old. None of it matters. If you are willing to put in the work, Rigid is the only way to ride.

·
Registered
485 Posts
takes skill to ride SS rigid

Up or Down. Smooth or Rocky. Young or Old. None of it matters. If you are willing to put in the work, Rigid is the only way to ride.

By the way, it takes a skilled rider to master a rigid front end.

if you don't have the time to hone your skills, put a shock in front

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
I do miss the rigid SS... I LOVE how they climb, and I love how predictable they are. I NEVER went OTB on a rigid bike. Every time I have it's been because I didn't compensate for the suspension compressing and lowering the front of the bike. lol
I went otb for the first time on my new bike the other day. My front tyre found a nice little rock while I wasn't looking, but I managed to land on my feet! If only I could do that every time.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
... I really enjoyed the directness of the steering and the connected trail feel.
Actually you are probably less connected to the trail, but the myth continues. In fact, a properly adjusted fork will keep you much more connected and in much more control, especially at speed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually you are probably less connected to the trail, but the myth continues. In fact, a properly adjusted fork will keep you much more connected and in much more control, especially at speed.
I am aware of the actual physics and such, I was merely commenting on the feel. I rigid fork lets you feel the trail better. A lot of people I see griping about rigid are the ones who have to go as fast as possible as a prerequisite to have fun on a mountain bike. Speed isn't everything to me, but if it was I would ride a full suspension rig. I like going fast, but I have a different set-up for that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts