Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
high school loser
1,313 Posts
thats fancy and all but, POST SOME PICS!!!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you're putting a 2006 66 on your 7point, don't use zero stack reducer cups like e13.
Apparently, the low stack height would cause the crown of the fork to hit the downtube.
Thanks to Dante for this nugget of info- I almost installed the e13s before I found this out.
I used a canecreek xx 1.5r headset because the original FSA was getting a little rough.
I could not find a FSA 1.5 reducer headset or races and I got a little impatient and got the CC.
Used a Thomson x4 50mm stem- crazy light.

Probably going to lower the stack height below the stem, right now its too high.

So far the fork is incredible. I've only got about 3 rides on it, then I sprained my ankle. Here's a few brief observations:

Even w/out the proper break in period, the fork feels nice and smooth.
It feels stiffer (more rigid) than the Sherman- especially under hard braking.
The damping on the 66 makes the Sherman feel a little 'cheap'.
My Michy 32 fits the fork very well, compared to the sherman. (in the pic a Maxxis 2.7 is on the front- my trail tire)
Since I climb a lot I was worried that the fork would 'bob' and such, but so far that does not appear to be the situation. (so, is spv actually uneccessary?)

After I ride the fork some more I'll post some more comments.

Jeff

·
Registered
259 Posts
here's a comparison between the bike w/ the sherman and the 66:
In the sherman pic, the bike was literally brand new (*wipe tear from eye*)
It's evolved quite a bit.
Also, check out how the sherman has like 8" of exposed stanchion compared to the 66.
Yeah, I really got to lower the bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks right off to the guy who called this thread worthless. Apparently he thinks computers are more fun then new bikes. I'm gonna post some pics tonight. Don't have my camera at home right now. I did lots of research so I knew about the head angle deal so I used an FSA Orbit Extreme Pro 1.5R reducing headset. Just right! It has an all X.9 Drivetrain. I got the wrong Saint front derailleur in the mail so for now I have the SRS and 36t off my hardtail. Gonna have a 24t/36t DRS. It has Juicy Sevens, Evolve DH X-Type Crank, Evolve DH Bar and Stem, Crank Bros 5050xx, Azonic Outlaw Wheels, Nokian Gazzalodi 2.6", Thompson Post, Ruffians w/ Dangerboy caps, and a Brooklyn Machine Works Saddle. I don't need the retune since my shock is an 05 but I'm still waiting for the bushings from IH. It feels outstanding.

·
Registered
259 Posts
stp2 said:
Solar btw I would appreciate any suspension setup tricks you've figured out.
Well, I've only got a few rides on the fork. (you mean fork set up right? If you're looking for rear shock tips, follow the recommended settings on the IH website, and go from there. Most of my settings are almost all the way out)

Here's how I got the fork set now:

Air preload: >5 psi in each leg.
I weigh about 215 w/ gear, this puts sag at about 1.5"
The fork felt too progressive w/ more psi.
Low speed comp: lowest setting for now (full counter clockwise)
Maybe when it breaks in more I will try more LS comp.
High speed comp: somewhere in the middle
I haven't been able to notice any difference in this adjustment yet.
Rebound: also in the middle

I plan on replacing the oil and checking the oil height in a week or two. I don't know if this is actually neccessary, but I've "heard" that the oil height is not always set right at the factory and that small bits of metal may work their way into the mix as a result of the manufacturing process. Who knows?

After more time on the fork I'm sure I'll have more to say...
Congrats on your new fork, it's really nice.

The 2006 7point customers have a lot to look forward to.

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Solar, thanks heaps for the setup tips, I had not considered there would be changes needed to the reducer. Would the same mods be required for the 2005 RC's?? I don't think much changed between the 05 and 06 RC's in their geometry so I am assuming it will be the same.

Solar, that is a S_W_E_E_T looking rig, how do you find time to work??

Scott :p

·
Registered
259 Posts
Blueychip said:
Hey Solar, thanks heaps for the setup tips, I had not considered there would be changes needed to the reducer. Would the same mods be required for the 2005 RC's?? I don't think much changed between the 05 and 06 RC's in their geometry so I am assuming it will be the same.

Solar, that is a S_W_E_E_T looking rig, how do you find time to work??

Scott :p
I have no idea about the '05 66. Try to PM Dante or any of the other IH guys for the real deal.
The '05 fork is like an inch taller, so your geometry will be affected.

Work? sheesh, all the overtime I put in this past month has paid for the fork. Funny thing is I sprained my ankle right after putting the fork on, so that's only the made it worse!

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here are some photos my 7point5 with my new '05 66RC. Haven't finished installing yet as I need a different brake adaptor and LBS is not open till Tuesday (summer holiday in OZ). I will also get them to trim the steerer tube as you only get one go at changing it's length. Also need to install a longer break cable (I think??). Let you know how it goes.

Scott

Attachments

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
Jeff are you running your Michy 32 tubeless?

Also, any changes to your 66 settings?

:solar: said:
Here's how I got the fork set now:

Air preload: >5 psi in each leg.
I weigh about 215 w/ gear, this puts sag at about 1.5"
The fork felt too progressive w/ more psi.
Low speed comp: lowest setting for now (full counter clockwise)
Maybe when it breaks in more I will try more LS comp.
High speed comp: somewhere in the middle
I haven't been able to notice any difference in this adjustment yet.
Rebound: also in the middle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.