Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 61, about 3.5 years into fatbike/mountain bike.
About 4.5 years ago i got tired of big city living(Montreal, Quebec). So progressively i have been spending more time about 25 miles north, close to the trails.
Now i visit Montreal weekly(my mom lives there).
I am not away from Montreal, i am home.
If like me you are an outdoor person go home.
Just do it!
I have no words, the feeling of riding, the nice people, less stress...
morning rides, sunset rides, beauty all around.

·
Cycologist
10,129 Posts
I've thought about that.. My folks have a cabin up in the North GA mountains a little over an hour from where I live. They have asked me if I want it when they pass; I told them I do. I don't find the time to get up there nearly as much as I would like to but I keep thinking that when I retire, I'll spend more time there. One problem is, my wife isn't into–it-very-much.---Weird,-spacebar-doesn't-want-to-work.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I took "home" to mean "where the heart is" and in his case (and mine) somewhere out away from congestion where he can lead a more relaxed pace of life and enjoy the outdoors. I can relate: We moved to Colorado a little over 20 years ago and my biggest regret was not doing it sooner. Since then I've been offered jobs that would pay substantially more than I make now but would entail moving to a megalopolis. When I was younger, that would have been very tempting - now, there's just no way I'd consider it. In fact with the explosive growth here I'm looking smaller and reminding myself of the regret of not moving sooner. Other people thrive on being in the middle of it all though.

·
E-Moderator
1,010 Posts
I’m about 10yrs away from thinking about moving, but I’m lucky to live in Murrieta, CA. Lots of good trails to ride near me and close to very epic rides. But Just got back from Lake Tahoe and man was that fun riding in the trees. Now thinking...

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure what you mean by home; where your grew up, where your parents live, where you want to call home...?
Ya you can read post # 4 when you are home you know.
I was born in Montreal but i will never go there when my mom is gone. My dad passed away 2 years ago. When possible being home is priceless.

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
I'm about 10yrs away from thinking about moving, but I'm lucky to live in Murrieta, CA. Lots of good trails to ride near me and close to very epic rides. But Just got back from Lake Tahoe and man was that fun riding in the trees. Now thinking...
Funny that you mentioned Lake Tahoe as being a more relaxing place to visit.

I live twenty minutes from the Lake, down in Carson City, we go up to Tahoe for the cooler climes, but man the congestion of tourism is such a huge bummer!

I did an epic ride on Saturday, Luther Pass to Armstrong Tract, saw one large group of father-son bikers (10), a few hikers, and maybe another dozen bikers, all during a four hour ride. For me this was a busy ride, in Carson I would have seen one or two bikers and no hikers!

Sunday I took my wife up to Tahoe and it was congestion central, every trail head parking area was full, stop and go traffic on the lake, it was nutz. We did a short hike in Christmas Valley, swam the dogs in Upper Truckee River, then went back to Carson City and had a peaceful dinner sitting outside at the Union, no wait, no tourists.

When I first lived in the Tahoe area in the mid eighties, it was far less developed, there were "shoulder seasons" of a few months on either end of summer, and it was not a struggle to find a place to be alone. Sadly, Tahoe is now being loved to death.

Our "new" rule of thumb: Only go to Tahoe during the week or go on the weekends only to ride/hike an epic in the backcountry.

My suggestion: Live somewhere that is not popular.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Funny that you mentioned Lake Tahoe as being a more relaxing place to visit.

I live twenty minutes from the Lake, down in Carson City, we go up to Tahoe for the cooler climes, but man the congestion of tourism is such a huge bummer!

I did an epic ride on Saturday, Luther Pass to Armstrong Tract, saw one large group of father-son bikers (10), a few hikers, and maybe another dozen bikers, all during a four hour ride. For me this was a busy ride, in Carson I would have seen one or two bikers and no hikers!

Sunday I took my wife up to Tahoe and it was congestion central, every trail head parking area was full, stop and go traffic on the lake, it was nutz. We did a short hike in Christmas Valley, swam the dogs in Upper Truckee River, then went back to Carson City and had a peaceful dinner sitting outside at the Union, no wait, no tourists.

When I first lived in the Tahoe area in the mid eighties, it was far less developed, there were "shoulder seasons" of a few months on either end of summer, and it was not a struggle to find a place to be alone. Sadly, Tahoe is now being loved to death.

Our "new" rule of thumb: Only go to Tahoe during the week or go on the weekends only to ride/hike an epic in the backcountry.

My suggestion: Live somewhere that is not popular.
"Loved to death." Ain't that the truth.

I'm so lucky to have memories of when my family would go camping in the area (Bliss, usually). This was back in the 70s, so, yeah.

Edit: Or was it Camp Richards? Too foggy. :(

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
Or live somewhere awesome that is relatively undiscovered. :)
=sParty
Yeah, that ;)

Seriously, these places are out there, a few that come to mind: Klamath Falls, Corvallis, Wenatchee, Carson City, Bishop, Mt Shasta, Arcata, LeGrande...

It's not that they are unpopular, perhaps they're just enough off the beaten path or maybe there's a brighter and shinier place nearby that draws all the attention.

The places I've contemplated: Prescott AZ, Bellingham WA, Corvallia OR, Ashland/Medford OR.

I know all these places other than Prescott, never been to Prescott, my wife is adverse to AZ cuz we're liberal, but on paper it looks good.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The essential problem is that we, as a species, are unwilling or unable to commit to zero population growth and sustainable resource use. Every nice place will become crowded, expensive, and unpleasant. The only exceptions will be ultra-expensive enclaves for the 0.1% that are able to erect barriers to keep commoners out. Fortunately, those on this forum thread will probably be able to live out our lives still with a relatively high quality of life, but our grandchildren will probably not be so lucky.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From my experience, far enough from expressway.
Also the monks went in bad climate to be at peace,
most want it easy. My trail network will publish a card,
at least i am starting to ride the expert trails, that will protect me from the crowd. i do not care about parking space, no car last 20 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.