Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you little lunatic dj'ers;) ! I have a Q, if you could spare a sec? I tried real bonerfied DJ's for the first time a while back over the winter on my 5" trail bike, and loved it. I was out of town at the time, so we don't have anything like that, that I know of around here, but I've been hitting up the local BMX track to try and get more comfortable and get my DJ fix a lot here lately "which is conveniantly situated along my local XC loop". Anyway I've gotten a lot more comfortable on the take offs and I'm getting there on the landings but the 5' of travel is soaking up the kicker something fierce!

I've got a Kona Unit steal single speed that I never ride and I'm thinking about putting an old 05 TALAS I've got laying around on their to see how that goes? What do you experts think about that? Would it just be bizarre? I know literally "Jack $hit" about DJing and the equipment involved so thanks for any help.

I ordered a Mnt Cycle Rumble about a month ago but after placing the order and receiving a confirmation, they contacted me about a week later to tell me it was out of stock. :madman: So I'm just gonna Waite a while on the real goods for now.

Edit: Either way I'm prob just gonna try it anyway but like I said I'm just curiouse.... and it would help the mental factor. Thanks again fella's!

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Sheesh BA, you following me around............I too am building up or purchasing a DJ bike. Had a ball on the DJ's. Love the simplicity of SS and the bike being as strong as F a c k....

Looking at the Nighttrain, or a Transition ToP, there is heaps our there...

·
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
snaky69 said:
The Kona unit frame would definitely take a serious beating with beginner mistakes, but if that's all you have and don't mind potentially breaking, go for it dude!

I think todd_freeride here on the forums is selling a rumble frame.
Thanks dude! now I'm excited!... and no, I'm not worried about breaking it. :thumbsup:

Whafe I only WISH I was following you!

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
He Black Agnes.

First up, DJ's are 90% rider. I've watched guys on full-on long wheelbase DH race bikes rock tight DJ's that would make you think twice on a hardtail. It's all about the rider and learning to jump off of 2's, moving the bike in the air, and all that shite.

I have a small Rumble around that I would be more than willing to part with for say, $75 if you're interested. It's the vertical dropout model, prob has 2 months of riding on it, maybe 3. No damage.

Big thing with DJ's is just to get out there and ride them as much as possible. Practice practice practice. I'm a fairly recent DJ convert, only in about the past year so I'm fresh out of looking at every jump with a vert take-off and wondering if I'm going to die. :) Just get out there and ride what ya got and have fun.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Err said:
He Black Agnes.

First up, DJ's are 90% rider. I've watched guys on full-on long wheelbase DH race bikes rock tight DJ's that would make you think twice on a hardtail. It's all about the rider and learning to jump off of 2's, moving the bike in the air, and all that shite.

I have a small Rumble around that I would be more than willing to part with for say, $75 if you're interested. It's the vertical dropout model, prob has 2 months of riding on it, maybe 3. No damage.

Big thing with DJ's is just to get out there and ride them as much as possible. Practice practice practice. I'm a fairly recent DJ convert, only in about the past year so I'm fresh out of looking at every jump with a vert take-off and wondering if I'm going to die. :) Just get out there and ride what ya got and have fun.
BA, this dude Err is fair dinkum, he would not lead you up the garden path.... Has helped me hugely, go the Nicolai..:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

He will see you good on a DJ bike

I too am looking forward to hooking into jumping again, takes me back to many many moons ago..................

·
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Err said:
He Black Agnes.

Thanks for the tips Err! Sounds like you've been watching me?:thumbsup:

If that Rumbles still around in a few days/week I might take you up on that if the size is right.... me being 5.11 or so.

Yeah watching those BMX guy's just flow the doubles is some sweet stuff, but I been there done that with the BMX a looooong time ago, and I don't plan on going back. ;)

·
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
FYI Err....

I think I read just about everything you had to say about the Rumble when I was thinking about ordering one. Yours was pretty sweet, and you gave me alot of great info thanks!

I seem to recall though, that dispite your claims you had a pretty fair grasp on what you were doing, and my thinking at the time was that a "small" Rumble would be for some one above my skill level? I'd ordered a med, but I'm aware that with these kinds of frames for this use somebody 6.2, 6.3 could also be running on a small?

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts

·
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
tibug said:
http://www.ediscountbike.com/pc-1025-100-mountain-cycle-rumble-mtn-freeride-bike-frame-new.aspx

It's supposedly still in stock...

What if you got a DK General Lee cruiser, threw your talas on that, possibly with a [20mm] front wheel, and you have a dirt jumping machine, costing you ~400$. Is your Talas a 20mm?

https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/14193/?Action=Add+To+Cart

Tim
Yeah those bastiges are the ones I "tried" to order a med from.

Naw the TALAS I have is an 05 130 32mm stanchions. I also called Rumble after I had made that order and they were really great (..). :thumbsup:

The more I think about it the more I might still want that frame, but maybe in a med like I'd ordered before so that it would be more "trail worthy" since that I know, I can do.

Even a med might be pushing it for me?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.