Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I finally bought a new frame. I wanted a good XC frame from a reputable brand. I chose the Iron Horse Warrior Pro. It came with a Deore Front derailleur, and seatpost. I have heard people saying Iron Horse has awesome customer service, also the design of it looks almost identical to the Santa Cruz Superlight, except for the one of the shock mounts. Let me know what you guys think :D :D (I love the color)

Heres a comparison picture of the Superlight and my Warrior Pro

Attachments

·
Registered
981 Posts
Sweet. Your new Iron Horse should be burlier than the Superlight.

I am thinking about picking up this Warriro Pro frame too. Post some build pics when you are done. There is a thread on this frame in the Iron Horse forum too.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard some crappy things about the rear shock, but thats like a $75 upgrade it you buy used or just grab a good deal. I'm building this bike up, so I want to know what kind of fork you guys think I should use. I can get a brand new 2005 Rock Shox Duke XC for $260...I have heard some good things about these and that a lot of people like them

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have that same shock on my KHS and it's been a solid performer. The RS Bar shock has bad rep, but my actual experience with it has been a good. There is more stiction on it than on a Float, but a pre-ride squirt of TriFlow on it solves that. It holds air well and the maintains the same PSI everytime I check it, which is about once a month.

The one on the Warrior Pro frame deal does not have rebound, where as mine does. So if get the frame I would just swap out the shocks. I have a Manitou Minute that I would put on the Warrior frame if I get it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nice frame

One of my riding buddies is looking for a new frame and yours look very nice. Where did you get it? How much did you pay? How much travel does the frame have? Any info will be appreciated.

SpecialBrew said:
I have heard some crappy things about the rear shock, but thats like a $75 upgrade it you buy used or just grab a good deal. I'm building this bike up, so I want to know what kind of fork you guys think I should use. I can get a brand new 2005 Rock Shox Duke XC for $260...I have heard some good things about these and that a lot of people like them

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BlueBike said:
One of my riding buddies is looking for a new frame and yours look very nice. Where did you get it? How much did you pay? How much travel does the frame have? Any info will be appreciated.
Hey, well, I got mine on eBay, but you can go to Adrenalinebikes.com and scroll down until you see it. It has 3.5" or 4" ( i forget) of travel, came with a seatpost, collar, and deore front derailleur all for $299 plus $26 shipping. So I got a 2005 FS frame with seatpost and f/d for $325. I am super excited to get it. I'll post more pictures once I get the frame in my hands

·
Registered
981 Posts
SpecialBrew said:
Do you know if the stock rebound on the RS BAR that comes on the warrior is considered slow, fast, or just about right?
I don't know what the rebound setting is for the non adjustable BAR. It's a decent shock, don't let the bad rep fool you.

·
I like Squishy Bikes
1,101 Posts
Spare?

I would not worry about the RS shock unless it actually blows up.
But if it really bothers you for no good reason,
I picked up a Fox rear shock on eBay for $50.
If its crap, Fox can rebuild it for about $50 - $75.
I tried a Cane Creek AD12 & sold my original Fox to a friend.
I've regretted it ever since. :D

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
looks nice

SpecialBrew said:
Frame looks good, congrats. I'd consider the Pike Race for ~320 @ aebikes.com for that bike. Versatile 95-140mm on the fly, and great reviews. Under 5 lbs. too, depends what your looking to do with it though. If your racing you'd probably want to go lighter than the Pike, but being able to slack it way out when it gets steep and nasty is a pretty nice feature to have.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I am really bothered by the shock (which I find kind of hard to imagine) I would replace it, but I don't know what with. I would choose either a Fox Float, Rock Shox SID XC, or a 5th Element. I think I could get a float for the cheapest...but I will decide when i get the frame

·
Registered
979 Posts
5" travel

SpecialBrew said:
It has 3.5" or 4" ( i forget) of travel,
The travel is actually 5". The rear is disc only, no V-brake bosses.

I was looking at the frame on Adrenaline Bikes. What I really want to know is the frame weight. I called them on the phone and they could not tell me the weight.

Can you weight the frame and post the result here?

BTW, is that the frame you actually bought pictured?

What's with the huge dent in the stay?

Is that a feature or a defect?

old_dude

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
old_dude said:
The travel is actually 5". The rear is disc only, no V-brake bosses.

I was looking at the frame on Adrenaline Bikes. What I really want to know is the frame weight. I called them on the phone and they could not tell me the weight.

Can you weight the frame and post the result here?

BTW, is that the frame you actually bought pictured?

What's with the huge dent in the stay?

Is that a feature or a defect?

old_dude
Once I get the bike I will be sure to weigh it. Yes the picture is of the actual frame I bought and I think the 'dent' on the chainstay is a feature...i couldnt imagine that a "brand new" bike would have a dent like that and no other marks around that area...hopefully its a feature
:confused:

·
Registered
981 Posts
SpecialBrew said:
If I am really bothered by the shock (which I find kind of hard to imagine) I would replace it, but I don't know what with. I would choose either a Fox Float, Rock Shox SID XC, or a 5th Element. I think I could get a float for the cheapest...but I will decide when i get the frame
Good plan. No sense in worry about something that may not even be an issue. I like my RS BAR shock.

·
Registered
981 Posts
As to the comment about the dent in the stay, I think that may be part of the frame design. Lots of frames are "pinched" at the chainstays. I had a Giant that was that way.

This photo of Warrior bike also shows the dent. So I think it's a design feature. Funny thing is that the photos on the Iron Horse site does not have the dent in it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I would not worry about that so called dent. I am sure it's a frame design feature for crank clearance or some frame engineering reason beyond my grasp.

Post details and pics of your building when you are done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bottom bracket size on Warrior Pro?

I was wondering if anyone knows the size of the bottom bracket for the 05 warrior pro? I just got myself a new Warrior Pro frame but can't seem to find any info on the size of the bottom brackets!?! I'd assume that they're 68 x 113?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.