Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Just Ride
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and real mtb as well. Pulled the trigger on a 2011 Cannondale 29er trail sl4. Was marked down to $650, probably would have been cheaper still had I waited another few months, but I've already been saving since June! Granted it's all entry level components, but the frame is solid and worthy of upgrading. Besides Cannondale offers a lifetime warranty on the frame. Hopefully I don't have to take them up on that, but it's nice to know it's there! I figure I'll just replace/upgrade components as needed. I have no complaints with the fork either as I don't really have much to compare it to. So it's a crappy fork, feels fine to me! I'm sure that will change over time though.

I'm happy with it. Took it to the trails to put some dirt on her and by god she's fast! Corners good too! I found myself using the brakes less even though I was going faster in corners where I would normally brake at slower speeds!

Yes, yes, crappy cellphone pic I know. But I'll be taking plenty of pics over the coming years!

Attachments

·
Registered
886 Posts
Looks good. Enjoy

Dubshooter, one thing to be aware of is that Cannondale uses a 1.5 " headtube, which means that if you want to upgrade the fork or stem, there aren't too many options. You can buy and install a headset adapter that will let you use a 1 1/8 fork or stem (way more options). Not a huge deal but Cannondale runs the shifter cables on the chainstay for the rear derailure. If you want to use something to protect your chainstay from chainslap, it sometimes gets in the way of the cable. Not a deal breaker. Other than that, the frame is very nice and something you'll want to keep and upgrade over time.

·
Just Ride
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing. Let us know how you like it. I'm in the market for something in the same price range and the Cannondales are in the running.
It's actually less than I was planning to spend. I was originally planning closer to 1200, but was happy to find this!

Good looking bike! What fork is on there? I'd recommend riding the heck out of it and not worrying about upgrading anytime soon.
That's my plan! :thumbsup:

upgrade when things break or wear out!
Fork is RST Deuce 29 TNL.

·
Just Ride
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
*update*

Ok so a I've rode the bike a few days now and 16 miles later I couldn't be happier. My hands are numb after a short while on the bike, but that's my fault. I know I'm grabbing to hard on the bars. I'm consciously working on loosening my grip.

I feel my bars are a little to long. I like the long bars but maybe taking a half inch off each end would be about right? I'll do this when I get new grips in a few months. Looking at peaty lock-ons with purple lock rings. I think the sliver/black/purple colors all go well together. Besides, I like purple. Just a touch here and there for the bike though. Small purple accents. Seat clamp, maybe some bolts for the chain ring and some purple cogs for the rear derailer if I can find em. But the cosmetic stuff will come as I have extra money. Other than that I'll need new pedals. The stock ones are acceptable for now. I had thought platform, but wondering if maybe clipless might just be the way to go? If I'm gonna bother with getting new pedals anyway, may as well spend a little extra on something that'll actually help my performance.

To sum up. My needs are new grips, cause that's cheap enough. And to aid in bar sizing as the stock grips will need to be cut off anyway. New pedals, probably clipless. Costly as I'll need shoes and cleats as well. Brakes and shifters are low end like I said, but they're all working just fine. Besides changing pads as needed and adjusting as needed, I see no need to replace either for quite awhile. Barring any damages from crashes. The fork...still feels fine to me. No complaints there. It does it's job of keeping the front wheel on the ground unless I require otherwise.

Also found the USB cord for the camera so I added a new photo, this time with dirt! :D

Attachments

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
RST Duece is supposed to be the successor to the RST M29 (which was a great fork for me until it developed a house crack). As for the purple accents you will be able to find stuff everywhere (for derailleur jockeys look on ebay) and the brakes will do fine for now. As for cutting the bars, I would ride them as they are for now as you will find that longer bars help with steering the 29er. If you do decide to cut them, do small amounts.

·
Just Ride
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How is it on the technical parts?
Pretty decent. Some of the roots I'll just roll over instead of around like I did on 26. If anything it gives me more line choices! Or rather the penalty for choosing poorly is minimal. Trees in tech are a big issue now as the bars are really wide. I'm gonna start shaving a bit once I get some new grips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, I bought the same exact bike for about the same price - great deal IMO.

I bent the pedals on my first ride with the SL4, promptly replaced them with a set of "real" platforms...

·
Just Ride
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, I bought the same exact bike for about the same price - great deal IMO.

I bent the pedals on my first ride with the SL4, promptly replaced them with a set of "real" platforms...
Yea, the pedals are garbage. But I hope to be getting a clipless pedal/shoe package for christmas!

·
Registered
36 Posts
As another poster said wait to cut down your bars. I felt the same way when I got my cdale 29. They felt huge after a couple of rides I dont notice. Used a bike with shorter bars I was all over the place. Imho I feel they offer me more control. I am still new to the sport but thats my two cents. Happy riding grats on the new bike.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'd certainly hold off on cutting the bars.

My first ride on a 29er I thought I should cut off 3/4". A few weeks later, I thought maybe 1/2". Then a 1/4".

Now I'm glad I didn't cut them. When the trail gets rough, it's nice to have the leverage and take charge of the front wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking at buying an SL3 single speed but was worried about the standover listed on Cannondale's website. It says a medium (17") has a standover of 31.9". That seems really high for a 17 inch bike. The large (18.7") shows a standover of 32.6 inches. At 6 feet tall and a 33 inch inseam, neither of these are ideal from looking at standover. It's hard to believe anyone who would choose a 17 inch bike would have an inseam long enough. Any chance Cormac you could let me know the size you bought and measure the standover to see if the Cannondale website is accurate. I live in London and finding a Cannondale 29er in a store to check myself has been impossible. Special order is the only way and that usually includes a non-refundable 25%. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.