Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm in the process of building my bike and have only ever used Avid bb7s before so I would appreciate any guidance..

I bought a set of these in black a couple weeks ago:

Shimano Deore M615 Disc Brake | Chain Reaction Cycles

Then yesterday I came across a set of SLX M675 brakes for $7 cheaper. Doh!

My question is is it worth it to go through the trouble of returning the Deores in order to get the SLXs?

I've read that the new Deores are great brakes and most can't even tell much of difference, and I think I even prefer the all black of the Deores..

After I pat shipping, the two sets would end up costing about the same. Just really don't want to mess with returning them, but if there is enough of a performance/weight improvement then I will.

Opinions?

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have M615 (180mm & 160mm) and am very happy with their performance for a 29er XC application...I did upgrade to XT Ice-tech rotors and finned resin pads, but really did not need to :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply and pics! Looks great.

Good to see some large pics of them with the finned pads and ice tech rotors, as that's most likely how I'll waste my money as well :) you happen to have black levers and have pics of those? I apologize if I'm being needy.

Like I said, I actually prefer the glossy black finish over the more graphite color of slx. So unless I'm really going to notice those few extra grams (anyone know exact weight diff between deore and slx?) or some big performance gap then I think I'm just going to stick with the deores.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I just upgraded my brakes from Avid Bb7 to Shimano Deore hydros in black. I haven't had a chance to hit the trails with them on yet, so I can't really comment on their performance. I do like how the levers feel though.

IMG_20140401_204221.jpg
IMG_20140401_204312.jpg

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hey, thanks for the reply and pics! Looks great.

Good to see some large pics of them with the finned pads and ice tech rotors, as that's most likely how I'll waste my money as well :) you happen to have black levers and have pics of those? I apologize if I'm being needy.

Like I said, I actually prefer the glossy black finish over the more graphite color of slx. So unless I'm really going to notice those few extra grams (anyone know exact weight diff between deore and slx?) or some big performance gap then I think I'm just going to stick with the deores.
here you go :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
Awesome.. Thanks. Really digging the piano black finish and like that they just say Shimano and leave off the Deore part..

I know. What a silly thing to even consider caring about lol.
not silly at all...but form does follow function...good luck :yesnod:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts