Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 08 Anthem frameset. Any suggestions or tips on building it up? I was planning on making it a 1x9er. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Depends, 1. on budget, 2. expected use

Wheelset: Mavic SLR, or SL
Brakes, Magura Marta SL
Do not get a straight seatpost if your frame is a bit small for you,
Fork: 2009 100mm Sid RAce. The Sid works well and is light. A stronger fork may be a Fox.

Race FAce Deus Crankset: light, not to expensive, dependable.
XTR front derailleur, very easy to set up, although a bit more expensive.
REar Derailleur, Dura ACE, light, cheaper than XTR, will need a small cogset in the rear, 12-28, or 11-32
Eggbeater SL pedals
Ritchey WCS Stem
400-450 gram 2.0 regular tires converted to tubeless
Get a Comfy Saddle, WTB, Terry Carbon
Shifter system of your preference: gripshift or rapidfire

Total weight should be <23lbs

·
Registered
26 Posts
nice suggestions , obviously budget is the factor but have a look at spynergy's wheelsets too. 1600grams per pair and strong like ox!

new manitou r7 forks are worth a look too, very light but fox100 or sid would be the pick.

have a look at pricepoint.com for cheaper carbon components (if u are US based) for the cockpit.

1x9 needs some serious leg power amigo, consider 2x9 as a comprpomise for the extra versatility???

agree re tires; go lightweight tube tires with a conversion kit put through it for very light wheels and traction etc etc

interesting idea re the duraacce rear mech and road cassette, go for it if you have the legs and the ratios wiht your chainring(s) works

enjoy, i'd love to see photos when it's done.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The 08 Anthem was designed around a 80mm fork to match it's 3.5"travel rear end. Look at either a Fox F80, Rock shox Reba or to shave a quarter pound off the weight versus the Fox check out the 09 Rock shox SID. I am runnng the SID on my 09 Anthem and am very pleased with it's performance. For the price the Mavic Crossmax SL wheels are hard to beat. XTR crank from Chain reaction.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I haven't really spec'd it out yet but will soon. Does anyone know where I can get an extra crown race for the integrated FSA headset on the 08' Anthem?

·
Registered
63 Posts
depends on how much u weight and what kind of trail u ride

wheels:
if u like to ride tough stuff like wif drops then crossmax ST or cheaper crosstrail (more or less the same without alu spoke)
otherwise crossmax slr, sl, or you can take a look at the new hope pro3 wheelset (i wouldnt buy some other ultra light wheels wif alu freehub coz they don last)
i ll also consider the specialized rovals xc wheels as well (1450g pair) if u don weight more than 150lbs, they come wif tubeless and they are build by dt 240 hubs

xt groupset but wif xtr shifter n xtr crank arms
11-32 cassette
shadow rear mech

magura marta brakes or hope minis x2 with hope rotors or alligator rotors

syntance f99 stem (if usin flat bar) otherwise thompson x4 stem wif faceface/easton bar

thompson seatpost

KCNC skewers(45g pair), kcnc jockey wheels for rear mech

Fox rlc / x(if u can still find them) fork or 09 SID

go take a look at yrs LBS c if they have any spare for the crown race
or u can just use a canecreek one and it should work

if u go 4 some light wheels then prop end up 23-24 lbs

my anthem wif crosstrail wheel are 24.8 so you prop can can get lighter than that
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=5216738#post5216738

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So I finally built up the Anthem and it is a little heavier than I expected but it still is by far the fastest bike I've ever ridden.

08 Giant Anthem 0 Frame
Shimano SLX Double Crankset *Heavy about 999 grams but soooo stiff*
XT Shadow Rear Deralleur Medium Cage
XT Rear Cassette 11-34
XTR CN-7701 Chain
Tektro Auriga (180F/160R) *I know but they were dirt cheap at Jenson*
Reba World Cup 100M
Mavic 717 /w DT Swiss Hubs
Panaracer Dart/Smoke
Kore Elite Handlebar
Truvativ XR Stem

The built currently weighs in at a shade over 26 pounds. I can bring it down to 25 pounds by removing the Shimano bashguard and replacing it with a BBG bashguard. I think without going to tubeless tires it is very difficult to get the bike down to 24-25 pounds. Any suggestions on how to shave some weight off this guy?

·
Registered
63 Posts
what about go gor the sanit crankset <stiffer but should b lighter but then ll b like later when u want to upgrade it
if u put the reba to 80mm then the bike should go smoother n quicker
go tubeless wouldnt save much weight but it sort the punchure problem
try lighter stem and lighter seatpost n seat

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I heard the Anthem is a little twitchy at 80MM. I heard running the fork at 100 smooths it out. Is this true?

·
Registered
63 Posts
thing is its design 4 80mm forks so when it stand wif a 100mm frame wif 100mm forks it ll be about the same height as the headtube angle different
i rum mine wif f80x forks n feels awesome especially in climbing n rididng quick
it just the thing that it balance that the front n rear travel so don feel like the rear end drop more than front coz u re sittin more back when u re on 100mm
btw u might just need 2 adjust negnative air if u re using reckshox forks
give it a try.

·
Registered
26 Posts
fork travel

from an australian perspective, all the anthems ever since they were imported into oZ were sporting a 100mm fork.

no-one i know or heard of at endurance/24hr races ever claimed that it wanted or needed to be shorter(80mm)

the benefits apart from subtle geometry changes basically came down to the fact that people claimed that the 100mm forks just took the edge off the steering and made it more forgiving without compromising climbing or general handling characteristics.

IMHO, if you ride any technical terrain, compete in races, especially endurance stuff then leave the fork at 100mm.

·
Registered
63 Posts
teamfbr said:
from an australian perspective, all the anthems ever since they were imported into oZ were sporting a 100mm fork..
im not sure abt wht happen to australia but look at giant US, europe and taiwan, giant anthem (not X) all come wif 80mm fork b coz the headtube angle of frame support 80mm forks, and thats wht it design 4

teamfbr said:
no-one i know or heard of at endurance/24hr races ever claimed that it wanted or needed to be shorter(80mm)n
erm the frame he got is frame 4 80mm fork (of coz he can put 100mm on it) but i think thats the reason of giant makin a 100mm fork wif 4 inch shox Anthem X

teamfbr said:
the benefits apart from subtle geometry changes basically came down to the fact that people claimed that the 100mm forks just took the edge off the steering and made it more forgiving without compromising climbing or general handling characteristics.
i think it really do change the climbin characteristics coz when travel up u re sitting more backwards and also bb is higher than where it suppose 2 b which make it harder to climb and also harder to balacne the bike at technical terrain

teamfbr said:
IMHO, if you ride any technical terrain, compete in races, especially endurance stuff then leave the fork at 100mm.
totally argee wif u if the bike is design 4 100mm fork and i don see a problem wif my bike when going through technical terrin, drops n all the stuff i did on it
it just ride exactly like my mates specialized epic which is 4 inch front n rear travel

·
Registered
63 Posts
D1PHAM said:
I heard the Anthem is a little twitchy at 80MM. I heard running the fork at 100 smooths it out. Is this true?
Anthem is design 2 have a low bb hight
addin up 2 100mm ll allow u 2 have a higher bb position which means yrs crank arm is less likely to touch the gound while u pedal through techinical bits
but its not a problem at all 2 me coz the other race bike i have ridden b4 normally have low bb hight
i think you should give it a go like for a few rides and see which 1 is better for yourself:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts