Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this bike used and just received it today in the mail. Upon inspection, I noticed a hairline crack right above the lower pivot (upper red circle). Should I be concerned? There is a minor paint chipping near the BB from chainsuck but for some reason, i'm not as worried about that one compared to the other. Any mojo owners have any experience seeing these? Sorry but i'm just a bit paranoid with carbon frames. Any input is helpful!!

Bicycle accessory Bicycle wheel rim Red Fender Bicycle tire

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I've got the exact same one near the pivot (the one you took multiple pix of) and emailed ibis. They said it was nothing to be concerned with at all, it was just the paint cracking on top of the carbon, which was common.

When I first saw it, I freaked out that someone overtorqued the bearings, but ibis said its absolutely fine.

Ride on!

·
GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
934 Posts
I would keep my eyes on those 4 sure. It could be just paint but you should making sure is not spreading due to its location that particular area deals with lots of stress.

good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
subliminalshiver said:
Paint.
After all, how would you even see a crack in the carbon underneath all that paint?
That's why i'm concerned. I figured sometihng underneath was giving way which lead to the paint on top cracking. The location seems to be near a high stress area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
redmr2_man said:
I've got the exact same one near the pivot (the one you took multiple pix of) and emailed ibis. They said it was nothing to be concerned with at all, it was just the paint cracking on top of the carbon, which was common.

When I first saw it, I freaked out that someone overtorqued the bearings, but ibis said its absolutely fine.

Ride on!

how long have you been riding with it like that?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
austin_flux said:
That's why i'm concerned. I figured sometihng underneath was giving way which lead to the paint on top cracking. The location seems to be near a high stress area.
supposedly it has to do with the paint. Specifically certain colors and how those colors adhere to the carbon. That is how I understood what hans told me.

If you're concerned, keep an eye on it. I just walked outside to check mine, hasn't changed.

3m-outdoor-grade the heck outta the frame. Take your time and do it right, then add the mojo-hd downtube protector. First time you lay it down in a rockgarden, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I had those same cracks, its just cosmetic, but if you get a bunch of them in a row on the swingarm it can be problematic. At the BB they are just cracks in the paint. RIde on!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hans-
I appreciate your response and did receive your PM. I am working with the local IBIS dealer (LBS) to get it into your hands. I will send you information as soon as I'm able to drop it off. I must say IBIS customer support is top notch and I'm coming from a Turner!

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
Have a look at the link too. There is either a scratch or small crack in it, see yellow arrow. That looks exactly like mine did with a hairline crack. It wasn't until I took it off the bike and squeezed it that the crack became more obvious. That link is 2-3 years old and has been updated many times since then, unless the previous owner updated it.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.